Author Topic: Lauhof's profiles  (Read 288219 times)

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
Re: Lauhof's profiles
« Reply #425 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:13 AM »
Mmmmm....that last one needs a radar pod and coat of glossy black  8)

Keep 'em coming man!!!!!

the glossy one with the pod!

regard's
Lauhof

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #426 on: August 20, 2013, 04:17:34 AM »
Oh yes!!!!!!!  Thank you sir  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2013, 04:49:29 AM »
The F2CF with closed canopy was also used by the USMC and made a good effort in the pacific. Here are two, one from CSMC and one from USMC.

regards
Lauhof

Offline cptmike2012

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #428 on: August 23, 2013, 03:28:37 AM »
The Curtiss YP-23 was at last rejected by the USAAS as fighter, but the CSA were interested and asked Grumman and Curtiss to develop it. They choose the basic fuselage of the F2F and the SBC ans made a new biplane fighter. It was fast and handling was easy, so the plane was ordered by the CSN as the F2CF-1 and the CSAAF as the P-23. The early version of the P-23 had no closed cockpit, several of them were ordred by the Mexican Airforce (FAM). Here are the examples of the CSAAF and the FAM:

regards
Lauhof

Excellent job on that FAM bird!  :D  I was wondering, if during Ernst Udet's pre-war visit to the US he was able to acquire two Curtiss aircraft, is it possible he could have also acquired some Grumman's?  If possible, could you please do a German version?

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #429 on: August 24, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »
The Curtiss YP-23 was at last rejected by the USAAS as fighter, but the CSA were interested and asked Grumman and Curtiss to develop it. They choose the basic fuselage of the F2F and the SBC ans made a new biplane fighter. It was fast and handling was easy, so the plane was ordered by the CSN as the F2CF-1 and the CSAAF as the P-23. The early version of the P-23 had no closed cockpit, several of them were ordred by the Mexican Airforce (FAM). Here are the examples of the CSAAF and the FAM:

regards
Lauhof

Excellent job on that FAM bird!  :D  I was wondering, if during Ernst Udet's pre-war visit to the US he was able to acquire two Curtiss aircraft, is it possible he could have also acquired some Grumman's?  If possible, could you please do a German version?

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

I'll give it a thought!

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #430 on: August 24, 2013, 01:45:56 AM »
Here is the Vought-Lavochkin F3UL-1AZ twoseater as a nightfighter with the Dutch MLD in Indies in 1942, as a 3-view

regards
Lauhof

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #431 on: August 24, 2013, 02:03:36 AM »
Great! Thanks... :-* :-* :-*

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #432 on: August 25, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #433 on: August 25, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
In 1937 Ernst Udet visit CSN and bought from Grumman two F3F-1 early versions. The first plane was used by Udet for testing, the other one was send to Spain to experience war efforts in the Legion Condor. It was obtained by the Spanish in 1939.

regards
Lauhof

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #434 on: August 27, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
In 1937 Ernst Udet visit CSN and bought from Grumman two F3F-1 early versions. The first plane was used by Udet for testing, the other one was send to Spain to experience war efforts in the Legion Condor. It was obtained by the Spanish in 1939.

regards
Lauhof

Beautifully done as usual Lauhof! :D  I especially like the Spanish Nationalist version; the grey-on-light grey color scheme really works well on this one.  :))

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2013, 01:11:36 AM »
Thanks Mike!

..working on the italian ones...

regards
Lauhof

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2013, 02:07:42 AM »
..working on the italian ones...
Similar markings schemes to those used by CR.42's?  Which leads to the outre' thought of a CR.42DB engine and cowling package being installed on one of these.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Italy, to catch up with big brother Nazi-Germany, visit  the USA in 1936 to buy and test airplanes. They bought the F2F-1 which was obsolete but with the manufacturing of the F2CF-1 by Grumman-Curtiss they changed their order and bought several F2CF-1's for the Reggia Aeronautica. Besides that, they bought some early F3F-1's for training duties. Some of the F2CF's were accomodated with the DB 601 engine.

regards
Lauhof

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:49:49 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #438 on: September 01, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
F2CF-1DB certianly has class between design and color scheme - right on :)

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #439 on: September 12, 2013, 03:41:38 AM »

Hello Lauhof,

Could you please do one more version of the F3F; this time for the Japanese Imperial Navy.  Could you please put a Mitsubishi Kinsei 44 engine on this one (similar to the one that powered the Aichi D3A "Val" dive bomber)?  Also, could you make this one an aircraft from the air group in the carrier Akagi?

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »

Hello Lauhof,

Could you please do one more version of the F3F; this time for the Japanese Imperial Navy.  Could you please put a Mitsubishi Kinsei 44 engine on this one (similar to the one that powered the Aichi D3A "Val" dive bomber)?  Also, could you make this one an aircraft from the air group in the carrier Akagi?

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Hi Mike

I'm a few days on holiday at Crete, see to it when i get home.

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:32 PM »

Hello Lauhof,

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Hi Mike

regards
Lauhof

In 1937 the Japanese Imperial Navy bought 3 F3F-1A's early birds from Grumman to test them on board their carriers. They fitted the Kensei 44 engine to it and it had great performances. The navy wanted to order more F3F's but due to the increasing tension the US government blocked the delivery. Here is one from Akagi:

In 1942 the French free armee de l'air bought several F3CF-1's (the successor to the F2CF-1). The USN and CSN tested them but cancelled the contract. Here is one from 4de escadrille 'les cigognes'.

regards
Lauhof

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »
Ooo...I like the Japanese one!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »
Thanks GTX!

The second F3F-1A from the Japanese Navy was also on board the Akagi, here it is in the May 1941 colours, when they were forming the squadrons. It was on board when the Akagi attacked Pearl Harbor on the 7th of December 1941. Mend to put into action in the third wave, but there never came a third wave...

regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:01:56 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #444 on: September 24, 2013, 03:46:05 AM »

Hello Lauhof,

Thanks and regards,

CPT Mike

Hi Mike

regards
Lauhof

In 1937 the Japanese Imperial Navy bought 3 F3F-1A's early birds from Grumman to test them on board their carriers. They fitted the Kensei 44 engine to it and it had great performances. The navy wanted to order more F3F's but due to the increasing tension the US government blocked the delivery. Here is one from Akagi:

In 1942 the French free armee de l'air bought several F3CF-1's (the successor to the F2CF-1). The USN and CSN tested them but cancelled the contract. Here is one from 4de escadrille 'les cigognes'.

regards
Lauhof

Hello Lauhof,

That IJN F3F is outstanding!  :D  Thanks for taking my request  :D  I can imagine the confusion these American-built aircraft would have caused amongst American AA gunners at Pearl Harbor!  By the time they could figure it out, the F3's would have released on their targets and would be racing away to re-gain the Akagi...

Regards,

CPT Mike

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2013, 05:19:38 AM »
I can imagine the confusion these American-built aircraft would have caused amongst American AA gunners at Pearl Harbor!  By the time they could figure it out, the F3's would have released on their targets and would be racing away to re-gain the Akagi...

The way American gunners were distinguishing targets at Pearl by the time of the second wave, I don't think it would have made much of a difference.  At least one P-36 and as many as five SBD Dauntlesses were shot down by US gunners on December 7th.  Even the USS Thresher was attacked multiple times just trying to get back into the harbor over the next two days.  Given the anxiety at Pearl and throughout the entire West Coast (see Battle of Los Angeles), anything with a "meatball" was going to catch a lot of flak, regardless of type.  In fact, the pilot credited with shooting down the first Japanese plane of the war in an air-to-air engagement, 2nd Lt. John L. Dains, was killed on December 7th by American AA fire.  They weren't being too discerning after the first attacks.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline cptmike2012

« Reply #446 on: September 28, 2013, 07:50:43 AM »
I can imagine the confusion these American-built aircraft would have caused amongst American AA gunners at Pearl Harbor!  By the time they could figure it out, the F3's would have released on their targets and would be racing away to re-gain the Akagi...

The way American gunners were distinguishing targets at Pearl by the time of the second wave, I don't think it would have made much of a difference.  At least one P-36 and as many as five SBD Dauntlesses were shot down by US gunners on December 7th.  Even the USS Thresher was attacked multiple times just trying to get back into the harbor over the next two days.  Given the anxiety at Pearl and throughout the entire West Coast (see Battle of Los Angeles), anything with a "meatball" was going to catch a lot of flak, regardless of type.  In fact, the pilot credited with shooting down the first Japanese plane of the war in an air-to-air engagement, 2nd Lt. John L. Dains, was killed on December 7th by American AA fire.  They weren't being too discerning after the first attacks.

Cheers,

Logan

The scenario I wrote out is imaginary and, as such, does not attempt to hold to any historical fact or context.  That is the beauty of the "what if" world; anything one proposes here stands on the merits of its creativity and need not be viewed while shackled to the "real world".

Some may not agree with this point of view, but hey, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion...

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
Curtiss came in 1937 with the XP-37, a modified P-36 with a supercharged engine. In 1939 the development was continued with the YP-37, but the USAAC cancelled the project due to instable engine and lack of visibility. Grumman took up the challenge to modify the engine and shorten the fuselage. So in 1940 they tested, with Curtiss, the F4CF-1. Both the navy from CSA and USA were interested and bought the plane. Here are two examples. It were two-seat planes, so they could also use them as torpedo-bomber.

regards
Lauhof

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:47:22 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #448 on: November 01, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »
That's the cleanest, sharpest profile that you've done yet, lauhof!  You're definitely improving.  The shading on the underside of the wing is much nicer, as is the cockpit detail.  Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #449 on: November 02, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »
That's the cleanest, sharpest profile that you've done yet, lauhof!  You're definitely improving.  The shading on the underside of the wing is much nicer, as is the cockpit detail.  Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Thank you, Logan, for the fine compliment!! :)

regards
Lauhof