Author Topic: Lockheed KC-141 Starfueler  (Read 1812 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
Lockheed KC-141 Starfueler
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
The Dragon 1/200th one has been dragged out after a long time in the drawer. The bits from the Hasegawa 1/200th KC-10A will be used, boom has already been assembled. The decals will be the difficult part here, I hate doing looooong fuselage stripes. Might just mask and paint if I can get the right colour.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Lockheed KC-141 Starfueler
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:18:08 PM »
Are you going for the white topsides and gray undersides as was often seen on the C-141 fleet after they went through periodic fleet maintenance intervals?

Probe and Drogue AAR Pods under the wings would be a nice feature too but I suspect that is not something provided in the kit so you will have to build from scratch or source from another kit. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:19:39 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Rat

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:41 AM »
Are you going for the white topsides and gray undersides as was often seen on the C-141 fleet after they went through periodic fleet maintenance intervals?

I'll be trying to copy the scheme that the KC-10A wore before going to grey, which is basically as you said, white top, grey bottom. Instructions recommend Gunze H57 for the grey, can't find a conversion chart that lists an equivalent, so I may have to go with whatever looks close.

Probe and Drogue AAR Pods under the wings would be a nice feature too but I suspect that is not something provided in the kit so you will have to build from scratch or source from another kit.

'Twould be nice, but as you said, not provided. And trying to scratch some in 1/200th would be challenging to say the least!
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 02:58:08 AM »

According to HERE :-

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze.htm

Gunze H57 equates to FS 36231 and a suitable match is humbrol 147 . . .

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline The Rat

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:09 PM »

According to HERE :-

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_gunze.htm

Gunze H57 equates to FS 36231 and a suitable match is humbrol 147 . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Thanks, I'll see if my local has any.