Author Topic: Real World Build-Tamiya 1/48 P-38G "Miss Virginia"-Completed  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Real World Build-Tamiya 1/48 P-38G "Miss Virginia"-Completed
« on: April 08, 2020, 01:58:04 PM »
Time for a real world build.  Lately I've been on a big real world WW2 kick (I got to fly a P-40 back in November...I think that fed it). 

I got Tamiya's wonderful new P-48F/G from SWMBO for Christmas, so I decided to give it a crack.  I have to say first impression of this kit after a quick look at the sprues and instructions was 'WOW!'  Tamiya really knocked it out of the park with this one.  Engineering and fit are simply on another level. 

Anyhoo...progress so far in the past 24ish hours..

Cockpit tub consists of about 9 parts, not counting the seat assembly which is added at the end.  The parts virtually fall together.  Detail is really nice OOB too.  I'm not big on super detail sets and this kit definitely doesn't need it. 

Nosewheel bay is 6 parts that also fall together and mesh together nicely with the cockpit tub so the top of the wheel cutout in the well is the wheel hump in the cockpit floor.  Again fit of everything is impeccable. 

Fuselage "pod" coming together.  Tamiya include three steel weight to keep it on its nosegear.  One for the fuselage seen here and one in the front of each nacelle.  The upper and lower fuselage halves come together with a cutout for a panel to cover them following real panel lines, resulting insert filling or even really any appreciable cleanup. 

I spent a little time experimenting to get a good finish on the turbos.  I wanted to try to represent the real look of metal that gets very hot and oxidized.  I'm pretty happy with the result. 

One of the booms is almost assembled and I think I'm calling it a night.  I plan on painting it with the fuselage and nacelles still separate to make the inner surfaces of the nacelles easier to get to.   Based on experience so far I don't think it will take much touchup once it's fully assembled. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:18:12 PM by Aeroplanedriver »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Real World Build-Tamiya 1/48 P-38F "Miss Virginia"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »
With a cockpit like that forget attaching canopy.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 04:14:36 AM »
...I spent a little time experimenting to get a good finish on the turbos.  I wanted to try to represent the real look of metal that gets very hot and oxidized.  I'm pretty happy with the result...

I should say! Excellent effect ... totally believable  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 04:18:43 AM »
Looks like you are having a good model building experience so far.  I hope this continues to a happy ending. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:47:38 AM »
And just like that, she looks like a P-38! 

Right now it is just dry fitted, but th fit is so good you almost have to pry the parts apart.  Next up is finishing the cockpit and canopy to start painting while the three main parts area still separate.   

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 03:04:51 AM »
Looking good, AD!

Love your work on the rust!

Brian da Basher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 06:51:21 AM »
Nice work!  :smiley:

Looks like a fantastic kit. 
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 12:17:43 PM »
Well she's done and all I can say is this is simply the pinnacle of kit engineering.  I cannot say enough good about this kit.  From the overall fit to the impressive engineering that allows normally flimsy parts like gear doors fit solidly without even gluing, to the foil decals for oleo struts and mirrors, this kit is simply a marvel. 

Any flaws with this build are purely self inflicted. Enuf said. 

Probably more pics tomorrow but that's it for now.  Back go Whiffery tomorrow probably. 

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Real World Build-Tamiya 1/48 P-38G "Miss Virginia"-Completed
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 01:40:04 PM »
Many fine details looking right and like choice of "star" insignia.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 06:29:14 PM »
Woh! Awesome result! 8)

If that's just Tamiya doing their thing I'm definitely ordering one in! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 01:12:00 AM »
OD/G is one of my favourite colour combinations to see on any aircraft but especially on the P-38. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg