Author Topic: US Naval Ordnance Test Station Hawker F12-W, 1958  (Read 1975 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
US Naval Ordnance Test Station Hawker F12-W, 1958
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:06:25 PM »
Hello all!  Been away from the bench for about a year...work, travel, life, other hobbies...the usual whatnot.  I guess the bright side of the current world situation is plenty of time at home with nothing to do and a nice big stash of models in the spare room.  So I jumped back in and just finished my third model in ten days. 

For your enjoyment and/or ridicule....

US Naval Ordnance Test Center Hawker F12W Se Hawk, 1958 ASM-N-7 Bullup missile trials aircraft. 

Following a series of catastrophic structural failures during carrier landings the US grounded the F2H Banshee fleet in early 1954.  By this point the Banshee was soldiering on as a stopgap until more capable fighters such as the Cougar, Skyray, Skyhawk were brought into the fleet.  But even as a stopgap fighter the sudden loss left a gap that the USN was uncomfortable tolerating.  With US manufacturers already operating close to capacity the Navy looked overseas for a short-term solution.  One up and coming Pentagon Naval Staff Officer had served an exchange tour with the Royal Navy in 1952 and had been involved in developmental testing of the Armstrong Whitworth Sea Hawk.  Impressed with the potential of the aircraft he made a compelling case for the Sea Hawk as the Navy's solution. 

In late 1954 the USN placed an order for 128 Sea Hawks, to be designated in US service as the F12-W SeaHawk.    US SeaHawks were based on the Mk.100 version ordered that same year for the West German Navy.  The first example was delivered in eight months, and the aircraft went to sea aboard the USS Midway in November 1955.  While popular with pilots, the SeaHawk lagged in performance compared with the new generation of fleet fighters arriving in great numbers, and the type's short front-line service life ended in January 1958, with only 94 of the original 128 order delivered.  Five SeaHawks were lost in accidents (with no loss of life), 45 airframes were sold to Brazil, 26 converted to target drones, and the remaining 18 assigned to the Naval Ordnance Test Station at China Lake in the Mojave Desert to serve as trials aircraft. 

This example served at China Lake from April 1958 until the type was completely retired from US service in 1967.  It holds the distinction of being the final US SeaHawk to launch from an aircraft carrier, and after a long period in storage was refurbished and displayed at the Naval Museum of Armament and Technology at China Lake. It is depicted here as it appeared in 1958 during trials for the AGM-12 (then ASM-N-7) Bullpup missile.

More pics to come later in the week probably.  I have to admit this is not a kit I loved.  The fuselage assembly was straight forward enough but the wing join at the fold took a lot of work, some even after (I thought) final painting was complete and decals were on.   The flaps/speedbrakes are designed to be built in the open position and modeling them close took a lot of patience. 

I definitely learned some lessons I'll apply if I build another.  Mostly built OOB with an AIRES MB. MK.4 seat replacing the pathetic kit effort, an old spare pylon from an F-16 and a Bullpup from one of Mr Hasegawa's boxes of things that should have come with a kit in the first place. 

Not my best work for sure, but I'm very happy with how it looks on the shelf.  She's a good 5-footer! 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:15:54 AM by Aeroplanedriver »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: US Naval Ordnance Test Station Hawker F12-W, 1958
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 01:59:29 PM »
Most excellent build. 8)   Looks every bit correct for USN Sea Hawk in China Lake service at that time.   Enjoyed history read.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 02:33:02 PM »
What kit ?
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 02:50:03 PM »
Sorry...Trumpeter 1/48 Sea Hawk Mk.100/101

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »
Said my piece over in the WIM "In the Navy" GB. :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »
She looks perfectly at home in those colours!
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 02:11:43 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 03:59:11 AM »
Very nice ... and a great concept  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 05:36:24 AM »
That's quite wonderful and those orange panels look great!

Orange can sometimes be as challenging as the Ever Dreaded Yellow.

What a looker!

Brian da Basher