Author Topic: De Havilland Mosquito  (Read 35516 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: De Havilland Mosquito
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 05:38:30 AM »
Another unrealized RW proposal for the Mossie -- twin Napier Daggers
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 06:47:56 AM »
High Altitude version:

You know I have to build this now.   :-\

The extended wings are home grown?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
Thanks for the singe engined Mosquito, Apohenia
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »

The buried-engine with outrigger shafts is a cool concept. DH did play with a single-engined concept before the final DH.98 layout was decided. I knocked together a purely speculative view of what a single Sabre Skeeter might've appeared. Not much of a looker though  :o

Well, how about using other De Havilland inline powered designs as an aesthetic influence for engine cowling?

To whit, the D.H. 91 Albatross and D.H. 93 Don.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »
High Altitude version - find the Mosquito and U-2 kits,,, Hmmmm wonder if U-2 wings graft onto Mosquito wings decently.
Cruise along looking down at ME-262s.
Bill

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 06:27:31 PM »
And what about a single engine mosquito?...

Here's one of sorts...buried coupled engine:

The buried-engine with outrigger shafts is a cool concept. DH did play with a single-engined concept before the final DH.98 layout was decided. I knocked together a purely speculative view of what a single Sabre Skeeter might've appeared. Not much of a looker though  :o

Mmmmm....
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 07:33:38 PM »
Literately about a week ago I pulled out my 1/72 Tamiya PR IV and was pondering how I could stretch out the wings. The taper of the wing has stopped me a this point.

I also thought about cutting off the wing off right at the engine nacelle and putting a new wing on.

I also read that the PR 32, 34s used the Merlin 113 and Merlin 114. This raised the ceiling to 43,000 vs 38,500 for the IV. So I should also try to find the OOP Matchbox which has the longer nacelles. Paragon had a set but they too are OOP. (you snooze, you loose)

Carl

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 12:10:41 AM »
>Literately about a week ago I pulled out my 1/72 Tamiya PR IV and was pondering how I could stretch out the wings. The taper of the wing has stopped me a this point. I also thought about cutting off the wing off right at the engine nacelle and putting a new wing on.<

The U-2 wing outboard of the....gas-tank-looking projection...should do, but the wing is very thin. If you can find the 4-engined DH Heron (1/72) kit (fairly rare, I'm afraid), that at least has "DeHavilland" wings, but longer, with minimal hacking of nacelles. Another source may be 1/144 4-engined bomber wings. The 1/144 B-29 looks good, but you would have to eliminate the engines somehow. I don't know about B-24 wing/engine interfaces. But there ARE suitable wings out there!!

Here's a photo of a U-2 wing adapted to a 1/100 He-111 fuselage (and, of course, numerous other "modifications") for a high-altitude jetstream-riding fighter for Japan (ex-German He-121). The general shape of the fuselage and tailplanes is reminiscent of the Mossie. Your twin-engine nacelles might go where the...gas-tank-looking projections...are!

>So I should also try to find the OOP Matchbox which has the longer nacelles.<

Since I used a combo of P-82 and Lancaster for my "Flounder" nacelles, I am SURE I have the unused Matchbox Mossie nacelles somewhere, and you would be welcome to them if you are serious about your project.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:41:40 AM by sequoiaranger »
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »
Hi Sequoiaranger:

I would be very pleased if you are willing part with the engines. Need to some RW engineering to the design. I'll you send a PM.

As for the Mossie wings, I have not yet done any scale-o-rama work so I guess I need get a feel for the sizing and other criteria when re-purposing kits.

Cheers, Carl

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2012, 03:03:46 AM »
Folks:

If you have a 1/72 or 1/144 Liberator could I ask you to measure the chord and length of the wing out board of the number 1 and 4 engines.

This part of the wing looks to be a good candidate for a long wing Mosquito.

Thanks

Carl

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
...and don't mind some "creative" hacking, the pic below has an idea:

The Il-28, surprisingly, does NOT have as great wing root "chord" as the Mossie, but tapers out more slowly toward the tip. So...

You might use the Mossie root out the the inside of the nacelle area. From there is a "squishy" zone I'll talk about later, but hooking up the Il-28's wing OUTSIDE the nacelles, or just inside (more later) and using a Mossie wingtip on the end of the squared Il-28!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
I was thinking maybe the wings of a Liberator might work? The Davis wing is nice and thin. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
I have been stumped with my own conversion project of a 1/32nd scale (Revell) Mosquito into a 1/48th scale bomber/reconnaissance aircraft with four engines.  I had originally intended to sacrifice a pair of Monogram Mosquito kits for the engines and other details but a friend convinced me that he needed the kits more than I did.  This resulted in a small void that was soon filled with a pair of Airfix 1/48 de Havilland Mosquito B.XVI/PR.XVI Ikits which was a bonus since these are the later model Mosquito types with the more powerful engines.  This still leaves me in a rut as far as trying to blend 48th scale parts onto the 32nd scale wing. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
It sounds like careful cutting and fairing is the order of the day here.  Are you going to have the main gear retract into the inner or outer nacelles?  And are you going to use the 1/32 landing gear for the 1/48 heavy or adapt the 1/48 gear, perhaps the gear from both kits?

Offline sequoiaranger

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »
Extrapolating the idea of using the Il-28 wing, the larger-diameter nacelles (Il-28) made me think of substituting a pair of Tempest V noses to give the "Mossie" the extra cylinders and power of the Napier Sabre!!!!

*MAYBE* (haven't measured, just eye-balled) even take sections out of the constant-diameter fuselage of the Il-28 to extend the Mossie fuselage a couple of feet front and back of the wing!

Or even make a "nosewheel Mossie" that would essentially be an Il-28 with a Mossie cockpit, tail, and some sort of British reciprocating engine..!!??

The mind reels!

I'll be sending some Matchbox Mossie nacelles, and the Il-28 wings, to Big Gimper for his "long-wing Mossie" project. Won't be right away, as I am taking off on a 10-day cruise today. Time to cogitate and contemplate.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »
Or even make a "nosewheel Mossie"!!??

I was wondering about that myself with the scale-o-rama/kit bash of the 48th and 32nd scale Mosquito kits as a way to really make it different aside from the "super-sizing" was how to get a nose wheel in there somewhere and how far back would the wings need to be moved in order to find a happy medium on the center of gravity for the thing. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline sequoiaranger

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »
>how to get a nose wheel in there somewhere and how far back would the wings need to be moved in order to find a happy medium on the center of gravity for the thing.  <

I think the "key" is to extend the forward fuselage.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 03:33:21 AM »
Maybe make the nosewhel also rotate 90 degrees to lie flat upon retraction.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 04:14:45 AM »
Maybe make the nosewhel also rotate 90 degrees to lie flat upon retraction.

Should be room enough up front for the nose wheel but trying to keep the fuselage at the original length is the challenge.  Making it longer to accommodate the nose wheel and to address any center of gravity issues seems to be the challenge for my project.  Making it longer is of course the quick solution but one that I was trying to avoid. 

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »
How far back in the nacelles can the main gear go?
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:32 AM »

I was wondering about that myself with the scale-o-rama/kit bash of the 48th and 32nd scale Mosquito kits as a way to really make it different aside from the "super-sizing" was how to get a nose wheel in there somewhere and how far back would the wings need to be moved in order to find a happy medium on the center of gravity for the thing.

I don't think you'd have to move the wing at all Jeff, if you consider the Shackleton.  It's basically a Lancaster on tricycle u/c.  All you would need to do is move the main gear leg hinge to the rear spar and then use a P-61 size of front leg.

On my De Havilland DH.101 project (the Sabre Mosquito) some RW drawings of it given to me by Tony Buttler show it even was to have a single leg for the main gear so you could use all the u/c from a P-61
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:14:35 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »

I don't think you'd have to move the wing at all Jeff, if you consider the Shackleton.  It's basically a Lancaster on tricycle u/c.  All you would need to do is move the main gear leg hinge to the rear spar and then use a P-61 size of front leg.

On my De Havilland DH.101 project (the Sabre Mosquito) some RW drawings of it given to me by Tony Buttler show it even was to have a single leg for the main gear so you could use all the u/c from a P-61

Sounds like a plan! 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:57 AM »
test turret

Two views of the trial turret installation:

Offline sequoiaranger

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:43 AM »
I am thinking of doing a Mossie-ish aircraft using the post-war, jet-powered Ilyushin Il-28 as a basis, adding Mossie nose, substituting Mossie tail (keep rear turret???) adding the wingspan of Big Gimper's project, "nose-wheeling" it, and making the large-diameter jets of the Ilyushin into "annular radiator" Sabre inline engines (looking remarkably like Ju-88 nacelles with "British" exhausts)!

Such delightful madness!  :-\

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 03:13:10 AM »
DeHavilland's design for a Halford engined 'jet Mosquito' ...

cheers, Joe