Author Topic: MiG-15 Prototype X  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
MiG-15 Prototype X
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:29:30 AM »

The MiG-15 is one of the most renowned early jet fighters.

Far less known is a sister aircraft developed in parallel, the MiG-15 prototype X.

This forgotten dead end was so un-noteworthy that even western analysts ignored it and never assigned it a NATO reporting name.

The MiG-15 prototype X was (ill)conceived at a time when the Soviets were seeking the most advanced jet engines through any means necessary.

The new fighter was powered by a top-secret Klimov XXV-100 engine derived from plans of the Rolls-Royce Avon which were stolen when the project was moved from Barnoldswick to Derby in 1948.

Unfortunately as the bugs were still being worked out of the Avon design, the Soviet version proved far from ideal and the MiG-15 prototype X would be doomed from the start due to its unreliable power plant.

Only one MiG-15 prototype X was ever built and the airframe would only be used as a test bed, that is when they could get the Klimov XXV-100 to work properly.

Eventually, the aircraft would be modified to MiG-15 standard with the installation of the far less problematic Klimov VK-1 clone of the Rolls-Royce Nene.

This over-looked MiG apparently suffered a "fatal airframe event" afterwards and was never seen again, not that much of it was ever seen in the first place.

Very little photographic or documentary evidence of this failed fighter has been found save for a bill of lading for "Red Air Force Gray #304 priority OKB MiG test aircraft X" which was accidentally mis-filed and not found until People's Paint Plant 17 was liquidated in 1993.

Nothing else survives of the MiG-15 prototype X today except this overly-optimistic desk model which was discovered in the archives of the Central Committee for Air after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Still, for one brief, shining moment, some Soviet persons unknown got a glimpse of what might have been.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:00:22 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: MiG-15 Prototype X
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 06:10:24 AM »
This all started when a lovely 1/72 Airfix MiG-15 showed up (thanks a million, hamsterman!). Few things are more classic than one of these on the original card.

You've really got to hand it to the good folks at Airfix for some stunning artwork. Here's a closer look at mine.

Wow a whole dollar! 40-odd (and my have they been odd) years ago when I was a lad, this was a month's allowance. Back then, the simpler, domestic airplane kits went for 69 cents so $1 for a posh import like this seems about right.

And in case something in your pricey from-across-the-pond kit isn't right, Airfix is at the ready with outstanding customer service.

The other side has a paint guide which is very well done but I disregarded it anyway.

On to the instructions! Perhaps I should have looked at these before I built the kit...

One thing I did look at was the nose of this baby and a rough piece of "rear engine cylinders molded to the firewall" filled the gap.

Seemed well tidy behind the intake from another Airfix classic, their E.E. Lightning.

If I'd have gotten luckier with a clean finish, I'd have been tempted to keep it like this.

I almost forgot to mention the other small mod which was replacing the under-sized landing gear doors with new ones cut from scrap plastic.

Here's how it all looked before paint.

Speaking of paint, the old hairy stick was trotted out and loaded up with a custom mix that started life as Model Masters Medium Gray acrylic. The canopy was tinted on the inside in a nicely sinister Flat Black.

The intake ring and fake fan in back were painted Polly Scale Silver. The burner can was done with Model Masters Jet Exhaust.

Decals were a mix of spares which were bulked up from another timely mailing from my good friend.

It took me about four days to build this model and it was a lot of fun.

One thing I love about these kits is how they look on the included stand. Talk about a great value!

Oh before I forget, here's a couple of "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale, sorry was out of rubles):

I'd like to thank Bill for his kindness in sending the MiG and Lightning kits and also for raiding his stash of red stars for me. I couldn't have done it without you!

I'd also like to thank Comrade Commissar Jello for moderating this GB and the rest of you who are playing along or just having a look.

I hope you enjoyed the MiG-15 prototype X and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history even if it lacks the (jet) power to convince the so-called "experts".

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:22:28 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
Beautiful concept and build, to say nothing of the back story.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:21:22 PM »
Fascinating historical account. 
Super looking well preserved model of Prototype X.  :smiley:
Nose cone type intake has it looking faster than standard Mig-15.  Goes to show looks can be deceiving.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 01:41:13 AM »
The "икс" looks great, Brian! That early Airfix Mig-15 bears only an approximate representation of the Mig-15 (as your first two pictures show!) but your conversion looks great, and the fatter better endowed fuselage would match a bigger engine.