Author Topic: 1/72 Spanish Gladiator in Portuguese service  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Spanish Gladiator in Portuguese service
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:28 AM »
While the Hawker Spanish Fury is fairly well known among inter-war aviation enthusiasts,

less well-known is its intended stable-mate, the license-built Spanish Gladiator, powered by a Hispano-Suiza clone of the famous Merlin engine.

In 1938, the Gloster Aircraft Company was seeking new markets and Republican Spain was desperately seeking combat aircraft. A secret deal was struck, and production was planned, but with a uniquely Spanish flavor.

The new aircraft was fast and wickedly maneuverable. It was also heavily armed for the time with four machine guns. Officials at the Spanish Republican Air Ministry were relieved that air supremacy seemed within their grasp.

However, events would move faster than production and the Spanish Civil war would come to an end before the new fighter could reach the front in any numbers.

The only documented example was flown to Portugal around the time of the Republican surrender to Nationalist forces in April, 1939. The Spanish Republican markings were over-painted and the aircraft was impressed into the Portuguese Air Force, used for evaluation and dis-similar air combat training until 1942 when the airframe was destroyed by over-eager apprentice mechanics.

While completely forgotten today, once the Spanish Gladiator held the promise of Republican victory in the Spanish Civil War.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:13:44 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Spanish Gladiator in Portuguese service
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:02 AM »
This all started with a 1/72 Revell Gloster Gladiator, which looks like a re-pop of the famous old Airfix kit. Once again, the good folks at Revell don't disappoint with the stunning box art.

This kit is complex in its simplicity as the sprues attest.

The engineering of the cabane (fuselage) struts makes this kit seem to just fall together. This is one of the easiest biplane wing assemblies I've ever seen. Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone and a Merlin from an Airfix Hurricane was a passable fit.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Primer Gray mostly, with some Italian Blue-Gray used for the painted-over Spanish Republican markings. I'd like to thank Tophe for sending me those wonderful Portuguese decals and Mr Fontaine for the fantastic plastic wire I used for rigging.

I've been working on this on and off over the last couple of weeks.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and reading about some more obscure aeronautical history.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:04:20 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline JayBee

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:40:15 AM »
One look at the sprues says that it is the old Matchbox kit, not Airfix.
I love this one none the less.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:02:26 AM »
That's a big prop! Looks great, though. For a second, I thought you had used the Amodel kit; Amodel kits are usually not "two weeks on and off" they're more like "two weeks worth of hard labor"

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:21 AM »
Nice looking bird!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:28 AM »
I like it.
Like many of the interwar Brit Aircraft that  might have been, this is a definite could have been.

Terrific

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
Amazing how much a change in engine can make an aircraft almost completely unrecognizable.  It looks very "Hawker", makes me wonder if there was actually any shared design DNA from Hawkers' ownership of Gloster. 

This has got me thinking, would a Merlin powered Blackburn Shark or Fairy Swordfish be practical, or even possible, perhaps even a Merlin Seagull or Walrus as well.  ;D

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »
Nice one.  looks great