Author Topic: My Road To Redemption- I'm gonna finish my "re-imagined Leman Russ", dammit!  (Read 7789 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
What's done so far with what little time I had since my last post in my mental note thread on this subject:

But I am not merely going to finish this one.  This existing effort corresponds to the "Vanquisher" variant (or, to be very precise, the "Stygies VIII Vanquisher" described in the weblink).

For this GB I intend to add a variant corresponding to the "Annihilator" variant, with twin high-power laser cannons instead of the medium-calibre hyper-velocity gun, and the "Vanquisher" will get an extra armours set.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:30:26 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Please, sir, can I have some more?

This is looking really good. 

Offline dy031101

Screw me and my big mouth
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »

Between work, two temporarily-sick parents (their headaches, having started for different reasons, are gone now, fortunately), and not wanting to pull too many details regarding how stuff is put together out of my own arse......

The bigger RWS in the first post will make a come back later on to go with the up-armoured "Vanquisher" variant.  I intend the M2-look-alike MG for both the baseline "Vanquisher" and the "Annihilator" variants.

Thank you so much, LemonJello, for the extension.  Because I most definitely need it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:37:31 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Wow! Very nice indeed. In fact, it looks like there is a lifetime of work that has gone into it - the detail is extraordinary.  :)

What software do you use?
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline dy031101

What software do you use?

3D Studio Max  :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:48:20 PM by dy031101 »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
That is some talent on display.  It looks great at this stage, so I am looking forward to whatever you have planned as a finished project.

Keep going! Forward to Victory!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Man, if most 40K ordnance looked this good, I would have been playing years ago! ;) Beautiful work!

Offline dy031101

Man, if most 40K ordnance looked this good, I would have been playing years ago!

I did not have Space Marines in my considerations for this project.  ;D

Now I am gonna have to figure out how these extra armours are to be mounted onto the tank.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:58:20 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
If WH40K tanks looked this good, maybe I would not have sold my collection.

Yes, there is the part in the old fluff (1st edition/Rogue Trader era) that explains that Imperial vehicles look like tractors and prime movers because most of them are originally militarised versions thereof, only the knowledge of such machines having been preserved through the Long Night aka the Age of Strife. But to be honest, even for militarised Caterpillars, they still look too toy-like to my tastes (for example, the Russ having no room for the gun's breech inside the turret never mind the commander, gunner, and loader...)  Of course, the RT era fluff has been retconned since forever and the Russ is now presented as a proper main battle tank. Therefore, and my reasoning is that the WH40K models are actually meant to represent in-universe toys of the respective vehiclesmeant for Imperial children, explaining the humongously exaggerated comic-book like features.

Long story short, your creations look very much like what my headcanon imagines the real Russes to look like in-universe if they indeed were proper battle tonks 8)

However, how are you going to solve the problem of adding the ubiquitous gun sponsons? By designing a separate hull with fixed sponsons, or coming up with a solution to have "modular" sponsons that could be installed as necessary instead of side armour? Or by retconning such WW1 relics away from the universe altogether?

(That said, the entire concept of Russ is obviously by a person who understands nothing of tank warfare - in most Russ variants your most potent anti-tank weapons aka lascannon and multi-melta are illogically not placed in the turret which would have room for one, but in the hull or in the sponsons, Vanquisher and Annihilator being rare exceptions.)

Offline dy031101

(P.S.  I lengthened the barrel to L/58 because I realized that a L/50 barrel would be shorter even than my re-imagining of the Battle Cannon......)

Once again I am falling short of my own goal (only the baseline "Vanquisher")...... I want to bury myself in an avalanche of profanity......   >:(

Backstory included at the "Digital Model/Profile Rally Point" thread.

Yes, there is the part in the old fluff (1st edition/Rogue Trader era) that explains that Imperial vehicles look like tractors and prime movers because most of them are originally militarised versions thereof, only the knowledge of such machines having been preserved through the Long Night aka the Age of Strife. But to be honest, even for militarised Caterpillars, they still look too toy-like to my tastes (for example, the Russ having no room for the gun's breech inside the turret never mind the commander, gunner, and loader...)  Of course, the RT era fluff has been retconned since forever and the Russ is now presented as a proper main battle tank. Therefore, and my reasoning is that the WH40K models are actually meant to represent in-universe toys of the respective vehiclesmeant for Imperial children, explaining the humongously exaggerated comic-book like features.

Yeah...... I am really not an expert on ordnances, but even I am liable to wonder if the commander's cupola is over the main gun's recoil path......

However, how are you going to solve the problem of adding the ubiquitous gun sponsons? By designing a separate hull with fixed sponsons, or coming up with a solution to have "modular" sponsons that could be installed as necessary instead of side armour? Or by retconning such WW1 relics away from the universe altogether?

Short answer is that  the sponson option is basically ignored here- the hull itself is sponsoned over the tracks, but that's it- since the original premise of this project is intended for the universe of my mental notes thread rather than a faithful WH40K lore......  :-X

If I did try to make it an item of the proper WH40K universe, however, I'd have been inclined to seek inspiration from the ones used by the Predator tank...... although it might go against the WH40K fluff (combat management systems used by the Space Marines are likely outside of what the Imperial Guard have access to).  I heard that the newest edition actually have certain vehicle weapons subjected to "Gets Hot" (Plasma Cannon, at least, for sure; in previous editions such incidents were to be prevented by virtue of vehicles being able to carry actually-functioning cooling systems)...... I would rather leave them vulnerable to incoming fire than having them where they are liable to blow up in the vehicle crew's faces.

The manned sponsons are a "cute" idea...... but to give them equivalent armour protection...... feels heavy  :-X
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:58:48 AM by dy031101 »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
Nicely done! I like the looks of this beast a lot.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

(That said, the entire concept of Russ is obviously by a person who understands nothing of tank warfare - in most Russ variants your most potent anti-tank weapons aka lascannon and multi-melta are illogically not placed in the turret which would have room for one, but in the hull or in the sponsons, Vanquisher and Annihilator being rare exceptions.)

The Leman Russ (the WH40K one) turrets of all variants IMO give off the vibe of Schmalturm.  While I am baffled by the fact that only the Vanquishers and the Conqueror get a co-axial machinegun, lascannon and multi-melta might be too large to fit once we look past the exaggerations of tabletop model size.

I could see the value in a turret designed with a lascannon being co-axial with the battle cannon- yes, lascannon has a shorter effective range, but within that range it still outperforms the battle cannon's APCBC round, and unlike a projectile cannon, you don't necessarily need an extra crewmember or cumbersome loading mechanism to feed the gun.

If they can find a STC incorporating such a design.  Or that of an APFSDS round for the regular battle cannon......

(But since I operate outside of WH40K universe and can therefore cherrypick the cute bits to suit my purpose...... I guess I can consider it an idea  8) )

As for multi-melta...... not a fan of such a short-ranged (half of what lascannon can do) weapon being a vehicle weapon.  The Space Marines use it on a Land Raider variant as a tertiary weapon and Land Speeder because the skimmer can't carry anything bigger, the Sisters of Battle use it on the Immolator because of their obsession with fire, and the Imperial Guard uses it on the Leman Russ Demolisher and the Devil Dog tanks because the environment the Demolisher is designed for supposedly suits the equally-short-ranged Demolisher Cannon well, the Demolisher's sponson positions cannot take lascannons anyway, and the Devil Dog seems to be poor men's Demolisher......  Otherwise I don't see much of a point of using it as an anti-tank weapon when lascannon is available as an option.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 03:15:49 PM by dy031101 »