Author Topic: RAAF CA-23 MkI Funnel-Web Dec46  (Read 4794 times)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
RAAF CA-23 MkI Funnel-Web Dec46
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
This was pretty much the second model I ever built as part of a GB, which just happened to be a WhatIf GB. The main build was going well so I decided to challenge myself with something different.....straight from the spares/junk box, with some of the bits from models which must be at least +25yo!

Story and pictures follow.

Here's what I started with........

oh and some of the many projects on the go........I'm a HUGE fan of NightFighters!

The beast in the front was the main build project.

With the Allied Alliance drawing more and more equipment in the renewed conflict with the Soviets in Europe, the numbers of new and replacement from England and the US had taper off drastically for the Commonwealth countries in the Pacific. Resources and manpower they had, new equipment they didn’t.

Now with the arrival of new Soviets jet powered aircraft to the skies over Burma these worn out and outdated aircraft were starting to cost valuable lives.

With newly acquired German designs, along with limited new aircraft from England and the US the local industries began to develop new aircraft for Commonwealth countries in SEA and the Pacific.

In December 45, by chance, some secret technical documents were found on redeployed Australian army servicemen returning from Europe. This gave the Australian high command a rather clever idea! Word was quickly spread that there may be some money and free booze to be made by anyone that could “provide” any further documents or equipment from old Nazi Germany. So began a rather strange phase of the war where anything not nailed down was either “acquired” or “last seen” near somebody called Bruce! They still tell the story of the German “Pocket” Battleship that mysteriously appeared, stuck in a creek just south of Townsville!!

From this activity the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) quickly got hold of both documents and examples of German jet technology. From these a series of new jet power fighter and attack aircraft were design.

One urgent requirement was for an “All Weather Heavy Fighter” urgently needed in the monsoonal conditions uncounted in Burma. This lead to the development of the CA-23 Funnel-Web, an All Weather Radar equipped Heavy Attack/Fighter, which entered service late 46.

The CA-23 was fitted with three engines, all Junkers Jumo clones, two wing mounted Jumo 012’s (advance versions of the 004) producing 2300lbs thrust, and a single larger Junkers Jumo 022 (found only in acquired drawings)producing 5900lbs thrust. An unconventional layout but that produced superb power for such a large aircraft.

The aircraft was fitted with modified FuG 240 “Berlin” radar and was the first to be equipped with the newly developed Air to Air missiles based on the German Ruhrstahl X-4. Along with 4x20mm cannons in lower fuselage pod, upper turret with Quad 50cal machine guns made it a formidable all weather fighter.

The Attack version had an additional six 1000lb under wing stores points that could hold a large range of stores including torpedos and newly designed Air to Surface missiles based on the Ruhrstahl “Fritz X” and Henschel He 293 missiles.

here is the link to the actual build itself  http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929820-raaf-ca-23-mki-funnel-web-dec46/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:28:03 PM by trickyrich »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: RAAF CA-23 MkI Funnel-Web Dec46
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »
Wow that is cool, really like it

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:10:00 AM »
Wicked! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »
That is brilliant!!!!

!!!

:D

Love nightfighters too, can't wait to see more
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »
Not only is that sheer genius, but the mods are beyond seamless!

Talk about inspirational! The all-green Aussie scheme is the icing on the cake!

Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
very cool.  Nice work

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:27 AM »
A really imaginative build!  :)

Offline trickyrich

• The Resin Casanova
  • now if I just had time to finish all my projects!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments, am glad everybody enjoyed it as it was really fun to build.

For being a real "scrap box beast" she was much easier to build than the resin "Copperhead" I was building at the same time, it basically fell together with no real planning!

I'll have to dig around the scrap box again one of these days and see what else appears.  ;)

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
Oh, Oh, Oh, all the above - WOW :-*
Brilliant piecing together of scrap box !
Love the configuration-look and three engines.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 02:12:12 PM by finsrin »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »
Very interesting concept and well executed.

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Now this I like..   Well done.