Author Topic: The Triple Dragon  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Triple Dragon
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »
Many nations received the T-33 from the U.S. through MAP funding, but few took that aircraft to the next level the way the Taiwanese did. While initially pleased with the T-33's capabilities, what the ROC Air Force really needed was a powerful fighter-bomber that could be employed in the ground attack and infantry support role. Fortunately, the Taipei firm of Bok-Chow Aero came up with an innovative design built off of the venerable T-33.

Powered by three engines, the new aircraft wowed those who witnessed its maiden flight. One of those people saw the three contrails coming off the aircraft's engines and exclaimed "It's a Triple Dragon!" and thus the ROC Air Force's new fighter-bomber was named. Production was undertaken soon after testing, which was a lucky thing indeed as the situation between Taiwan and Red China was about to heat up.

The small islands of Moo, Goo, Guy, Pan had been part of the Chinese empire since the Fan dynasty but were claimed by followers of Chiang Kai-Shek during their retreat from the mainland.

In the summer of 1956, the Second Straits Crisis began when Red Chinese marines landed on the islands. Kept secret for 35 years was the fact that the marines got lost and landed there by mistake, but once Red Communist honor was at stake, there was no backing down.

The ROC Air Force immediately began flying sorties over the enemy-held positions on Moo, Goo, Guy, Pan. Not only did this completely unnerve the Red Chinese marines, but it also resulted in a stunning Life magazine cover in July, 1956.

The crisis seemed stalemated and by fall, the ROC Triple Dragons had wiped out any above-ground defenses. However, the Red marines had dug in and would not be dislodged. It took an extraordinary psychological warfare campaign consisting of blasting "Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas" at full volume before the Red marines surrendered, the moral of this story is don't upset anyone with terrible taste in music.

The Triple Dragon served the ROC for many years, but was eventually replaced by newer types. None exist today except for this crude, toy-like Nichimo model kit which was briefly available in the 1960s.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Triple Dragon
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
This all started when I picked up a couple of 1/72 Hasegawa T-33 kits for cheap. This kit is 1960s vintage, and while not up to modern standards, it's perfect for my needs.

I may have been channeling the famous Tweet or the Fougia Magister, but this aircraft seemed to be asking to get turned into a tri-motor. A wing-tip tank sacrificed from the other kit fit the bill for the extra engines, and after some cutting and puttying, it seemed to work. The nose in this kit is a cap that fits on the end and replacing it with the trimmed-back nose from a DH Comet Racer made a front intake like that on an F-86D. I swapped out the kit canopy for a vac one meant for an He-219 that Frank sent me a while back. I raided spares for the under-wing rockets and bombs. The wing-root guns were cut from landing gear legs. Here's how it all looked before paint:

And here's the Triple Dragon all dressed up:

The model is brush-painted by hand in acrylics and the decals were from spares, although I used the kit ejection seat and rescue placards. Amazing they worked a treat and are probably as old as I am.

I hope you like the Triple Dragon and enjoyed reading about a bit of forgotten history. A tip o' the pin to Bill & Jeff for letting me bounce ideas off them.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:56:10 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
You're only missing Kurt Russel in the cockpit  ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant sir but come on!!!!!  What's wrong with the Chipmunks?!  ;D
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
Cool beans! That fuel hog is going to need 1/48th tip tanks or a refueling probe.

Adios, Larry. :)
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Export version branded as a Lockheed and called the Tri Star?

Love it but where are the spats?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:38:11 AM by Volkodav »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
You never cease to amaze me Brian with your ideas and twisted sense of geography. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:19:52 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:47:17 AM »
Great job in blending in the new engines and the new nose intake! Funny backstory, too.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 01:02:49 PM »
Speechless and grinning from ear to ear. 
kwyxdxLg5T