Author Topic: Uruguayan Ar 196  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Uruguayan Ar 196
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
In the first minutes of December 14, 1939, the German battle-cruiser Graf Spee dropped anchor in Montevideo harbor, having limped in after being badly damaged by the British Royal Navy's Force G in the Battle of the River Plate.  The British and German diplomatic delegations both worked hard to pressure neutral Uruguay - the British hoped to keep the still-dangerous ship bottled up until a stronger force led by HMS Ark Royal could arrive.  The Germans sought to obtain permission to do major repair and resupply of the Graf Spee in Montevideo.  Over the subsequent two years, the Germans managed to bring in some repair and replacement equipment as work on the ship proceeded very slowly.  Among the materials brought in were two Arado Ar 196A-3 floatplanes, intended to replace those destroyed during the battle.  These were erected and flown (in German markings) from the Uruguayan naval air base at Isla Libertad, ostensibly for test and training purposes.  In reality, these flights also served the purpose of protecting the Graf Spee from submarine attack.

The Graf Spee was finally sunk in harbor by a Royal Navy airstrike launched from HMS Argus and Ark Royal in November, 1941.  Subsequently, the two Arado floatplanes were turned over to the Uruguayan Navy, continuing to fly from Isla Libertad until the late 1940s.  They were repainted in Uruguayan colors and marked OP-1 and OP-2 (for observación and patrullaje).  OP-1 is shown in the drawing below:

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Uruguayan Ar 196
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:43:57 PM »
Nice profile.
Is this Official History (of Earth Planet) or else: Acree"s History (of Dream Planet)?

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »
Sweet!!!  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:57:43 AM »
Thanks guys!
Nice profile.
Is this Official History (of Earth Planet) or else: Acree"s History (of Dream Planet)?
The "history" I wrote is true "planet Earth" history up until December 17.  In the real world, the captain of the Graf Spee scuttled her on that day. So everything in my story after that was "Acree's history".

This is part of my extensive "World War 2 goes hot in Latin America" WHIF scenario
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:59:41 AM by Acree »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:46:51 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.