Author Topic: Delta Airlines S-O/SST (sub-orbital super sonic transport) Delta Wing  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The project behind this airliner started life as a proposed civil version of XB-70 Valkyrie.

Only design studies and a fuselage mock-up were ever made of this futuristic concept.

The aircraft is barely notable for briefly appearing in the much-anticipated sequel to the dystopian film Rollerball.

The mock-up became the set for the airliner flying James Caan's team in for the finals where they faced off against Team Leatherface.

A scale model was crafted with new twin rudders and rockets for the scene showing the Delta Airlines delta S-O/SST (sub-orbital super sonic transport) in flight.

Sadly, Texas Chainsaw Massacre Rollerball was not the blockbuster producers had hoped.

It was released by Decapitated Artists, a headless concern that could be said to lack vision. However they more than made up for it with sheer gut instinct.

The film starred James Caan with Bea Arthur as the love interest. Gunnar Hansen reprised his role as Leatherface and Bob Prince, a.k.a. 'the Gunner', provided the play-by-play.

It was only the 445th highest grossing release of 1978. Later shown on late night cable TV, the film has since disappeared and is now considered lost.

This model is almost all that's left and was found with abandoned property auctioned from a Silverdale, Washington U-Store-It. It is shown in its original, un-restored state. Even though it might be a bit worse for wear, at least it didn't end out entirely on the cutting room floor.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Delta Airlines S-O/SST (sub-orbital super sonic transport) Delta Wing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:26:00 AM »
This all began with a partially-built 1/300 Academy/Minicraft 'Sky Giant' XB-70 Valkyrie model that showed up in the mail.

Isn't that box art something? You've got to admit, it certainly stirs one to action!

Some actions, however, may be ill-advised.

Since this was already put together except for attaching the canards and vertical stabilizers, I was stuck with whatever flaws were there. No matter, I'm used to dealing with a few shortcomings.

First off, I needed to close up the gap beneath the intake with card.

Then there was some puttying and sanding after I got the new tail feathers on. Those were swiped from a box-scale F7U Cutlass.

Here's how it looked before I got the registration and Delta Airlines livery on.

The model is brush-painted in acrylics, Model Masters White Primer mostly and Flat Black on the nose. The rockets were given an undercoat of Rust and some Gold over that. The kit burner cans were given a base of Drab with some Jet Exhaust on top. I found the under-coats gave the top colors more depth.

The rocket engines were scratched from a refueling boom cut in half and some bits of plastic tubing.

I added these because obviously there weren't enough nozzles.

The window decals were snipped with extreme prejudice from a sheet for a 1/200 TWA 747. The windscreen is the "eyebrows" from a 1/144 Airbus and two more 1/144 window decals were also used inside the intakes.

Once I got started, it only took me four days from start to finish. I had a blast the entire time!

Many thanks to my kind benefactor for sending the kit.

I hope you enjoyed this bit of movie magic and reading more forgotten airplane history even if the so-called "experts" refuse to believe it and think the whole thing is just a bad story from some bloody hack.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:44:11 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:41:22 AM »
Wow - that looks fast sitting still! Twenty minutes in flight, two hours on the tarmac...

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 05:49:11 AM »
That timetable sounds about right, Frank.

I take it you've flown Delta before?

(On one trip I'd have done better driving home instead. Apparently they couldn't find the pilot.)

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:51:48 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 06:43:01 AM »
Excellent as always Mr. da Basher  8) 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:38 AM »
The Cutlass tail pieces certainly look better on your Valkyrie than the original kit parts.  Well done again!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »
So cool.  So very cool.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 09:03:20 AM »
awesome work.  Looks great

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »
I 2nd Jeff's comments about the Cutlass tails.  Makes it look faster.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »
The Cutlass tail pieces certainly look better on your Valkyrie than the original kit parts.  Well done again!  :smiley:
I'll third that!!  A beautiful job with that kit.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »
The new tails are a great touch, well done!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
Yes, Cutlass tails are classier than originals.  In fact S-O/SST has more class than one would expect was doable with that model.  Decals are so correct and history research is thorough.  8)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 04:26:13 AM »
This all began with a partially-built 1/300 Academy/Minicraft 'Sky Giant' XB-70 Valkyrie model that showed up in the mail.

Isn't that box art something? You've got to admit, it certainly stirs one to action!

Brian da Basher

Ah yes, the famous 9-engined XB-70, the whiffiest of whiffs!

Good job on the model. I noticed you 'stepped' the flight deck, did you carve it out and use putty? Didn't bother much with mine, just a wee sanding of the plastic.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 07:27:00 AM »
This really is the dogs do-dads, great concept, stunning looking model.

Nice one Brian

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 05:01:37 AM »
Nine nozzles on the box art? I never noticed that. Gotta love such an odd number. The kit has six so it's like the artist never talked to the devel team.
 ;D
Mr Rat, the cockpit was stepped by a few swipes of a sanding stick and putty on any imperfections. And oh boy were there imperfections...

I found a permanent stand for it last night. I wasn't going to sacrifice the classic Matchbox one so easy.

The Delta delta S-O/SST now sits proudly atop my dead TV.

Brian da Basher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 07:56:01 AM »
Great concept!  :smiley: The new vertical stabilizers are gorgeous.  :-* Work wonderfully with the sleek, swan-like rest of the airframe.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"