Author Topic: F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions  (Read 4058 times)

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
Re: F-86E x La-200B - nasal reconstructions
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 05:09:54 AM »
Amirite, or does that 'Pitkä Nenä' now have FIVE air intakes . . . :o

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2022, 09:20:11 PM »
No, Robin, just three. The other two will have 2 x 1/32 20mm cannon  & 2 x 1/32 13mm mg's poking out of them scale-o-rama-ing out to 2 x 30mm & 2 x 20mm cannon. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 09:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2022, 10:08:29 PM »
No work done on this, so far, this weekend (maybe tomorrow pm), I've been playing Grandpa! :D :D :D :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2022, 11:51:51 AM »
Well, that was unexpected, in a positive way. :D

I've started to gloss coat & the gloss coat on the Peitsi has enhanced the pre-shading, so that it's more visible - still quite subtle but visible where it hadn't been before. :smiley:

Will do the Kalpa tomorrow (I only have one old paintbrush handle to stick them on while painting & drying).

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2022, 10:09:49 PM »
The Kalpa got its decals last night & a gloss coat this morning.

I also did panel line washes on the Peitsi yesterday, which had its decals done a couple of days ago. Not really sure that was the right move but, well, it's done now.

Now I have to decide if I'll bother on the Kalpa or just matt coat it.

Either way, by the end of the weekend the main body of work should be done &, after that, it'll be the little bits being worked on & added as I can.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
Well, that was almost a disaster. :icon_crap:

So far, I've been using SMS's "Super Clear" for the gloss coats but decided to use the slightly less glossy "Gloss Clear" for the final coat on the Peitsi last night.

Now, the Gloss Clear has a small amount of the particles used to make their Flat Clear in it to cut the gloss level down a bit &, usually, this has been fine but, last night, it seems the particles had decided to "float" up near the top (despite thorough initial mixing & follow-up mixes while I was spraying) & to "clump" a bit. This resulted in blobs & streaks of whitish .... I'll call it "residue" blotched all over the model, which wasn't visible until it started drying. :o

Talk about shattered! :'(

Anyway, this morning, in a burst of desperation, I got a piece of paper towel & started rubbing the worst bits ..... & it started taking off the whitish residue! :icon_surprised:

The result is far from perfect & I may have another go later but I consider it "Saved". :smiley:

My only other thought is that it may be moisture that the rubbing is warming up & pulling out of the paint but I doubt it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2022, 01:01:09 AM »
OK, photo's of where I'm at soon - either tomorrow night or Monday.

The Kalpa looks pretty good (or, at least, good enough) & the Peitsi is OK (I resprayed the nose as I found I'd worn off some of the black with all the rubbing.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2022, 02:12:12 AM »
OK, so I took the photo's tonight & here they are:

The Peitsi's scheme is loosely based on Finlands RW MiG-15UTIs;

The Kalpa's scheme is loosely based on Finlands RW MiG-21bis';

I'm thinking that I, probably, should have taken photo's of the cockpits before I sealed them up, as they were, actually, quite good, even if I do say so myself. ;)

Anyway, as usual; constructive criticism & comments welcomed! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2022, 03:50:33 AM »
Both look great. The faint panel shading on the Peitsi looks subtle and realistic... but man, that's an ugly looking plane! (No reflection on your work, which improved it - slightly)

The Kalpa looks good, too - how did you paint the orange light in the cockpit?

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 05:58:39 AM »
 Both are interesting and intriguing builds-I like the Peitsi a little bit better, but the nose job on the Kalpa is...is..., well perhaps one of the squadron call signs was- Tappaja Klovnit...

(Hope you're not unduly irritated by speedpunk...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvyGSwrysY

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2022, 09:21:26 AM »
Thanks, Doc! :icon_alabanza:

well perhaps one of the squadron call signs was- Tappaja Klovnit...

;D ;D I can't see why not. It fits with military humour & I'd certainly have no objection! ;D ;D

(Hope you're not unduly irritated by speedpunk...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdvyGSwrysY

Amusing little track, although not quite as rousing as "Danger Zone". :smiley:

My youngest sister (she's 51), who has coulrophobia, may not have been quite so taken with the image, though. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:24:53 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 09:40:01 AM »
Both look great. The faint panel shading on the Peitsi looks subtle and realistic... but man, that's an ugly looking plane! (No reflection on your work, which improved it - slightly)

The Kalpa looks good, too - how did you paint the orange light in the cockpit?

Thanks, Frank! :icon_alabanza:

I'd say the Peitsi looks "dumpy", rather than ugly. ;)

The light in the cockpit is (part of) a clear part that you paint then glue into the canopy before fitting the canopy to the plane. It has a small hole up through the middle (which saved me having to drill it out), that I painted silver (Tamiya Chrome, I think) & the dome was painted Tamiya Clear Orange (the rest was painted NATO Black).

I initially had no idea what it was meant to be but, after checking lots of photo's of Sabre cockpits, I found a few images that showed this (generally orange, but a few were red) dome light behind the bang seat attached to the internal structure in the rear section of the canopy.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:43:04 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2022, 05:05:25 PM »
Ripper job. Both are nicely finished and very, very well done :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »
Thanks, BT! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2022, 10:18:59 PM »
Yeah, not much happening on the model building front.

However! I have got both of these builds to the "Waiting for Weapons" stage. Actually, just waiting for 1/48 AIM-7E Sparrows for the Kalpa; when I have them, I'll scratch build some pylons for both aircraft, build, paint & decal their respective missiles, & finish them off.

BUT, they are at the "Finished for Now" stage & photo's await below:

Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Peitsi (Lance)

More commonly known as the Papukaijan Nokka (Parrot Beak) by the personnel working with & flying them, the Peitsi was designed as a high-speed interceptor. Obviously based loosely on the Lavochkin La-200 series of Soviet experimental aircraft (the Finns refuse to say how they obtained the plans for these aircraft, or even admit that they did) the two-seater was classified as a "two-engined" fighter, as its main engine was a Rolls-Royce RB.44 Tay centrifugal turbo-jet, with what appeared to be a local Valmet development of either the  Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire or the Wright J65 (again, however they got the designs, the Finns aren't talking), called the V-50, as a secondary "booster" engine. There appear to have been some issues with the metallurgy of the V-50 during the first half-decade of its manufacture that limited its ability to operate for sustained periods; however, the benefits it provided on take-off & in combat were deemed worth the effort of fitting it to the Peitsi. Whilst not in use the airflow was diverted around the engine & out two large vents in the lower fuselage sides to reduce air resistance.

Capable of carrying 2 x 500L "slipper" drop tanks, which extended its combat radius to approximately 650km (including full-power intercept climb to 12,000m) & up to 4 x AIM-7E Sparrow missiles plus another 4 x AIM-9B Sidewinders, the Peitsi was, also, armed with 6 x 20mm Hispano Mk.V cannon (later swapped out for US M39 revolver cannons).

Link: https://guyplachy.smugmug.com/La-200NJ/

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2022, 10:19:59 PM »
Valmet OY Lentokonetehdas (Valmet Aircraft Factory) Kalpa (Sword)

More commonly known as the Pitkä Nenä (Long Nose) by the personnel working with & flying them, the Kalpa was designed as a patrol interceptor. Based on plans of the North American F-86 Sabre fighter, supposedly purchased through legitimate means, but built around the Valmet V-50 Mk.II engine (after the metallurgical issues had been sorted) & fitted with a rather novel inlet & radar arrangement (apparently scaled down from one of the Lavochkin La-200 variants (La-200B) that the Finns say they have no knowledge of).

Capable of carrying 2 x 750L drop tanks, which extended its patrol time to approximately 4 hours at optimum cruising speed, & up to 4 x AIM-7E Sparrow missiles plus 2 x AIM-9B Sidewinders, the Kalpa was, also, armed with 2 x 20mm M39 revolver cannons & 2 x 30mm ADEN cannons.

Link: https://guyplachy.smugmug.com/F-86NJ/i-RPcRbtZ

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2022, 01:41:11 AM »
Some heavy armament on both of those.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2022, 07:18:51 AM »
Yup! The idea is to punch big holes in the Soviet/Russian bomber fleets, preferably before they reach Finnish cities, etc. ;)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »
Great job on both.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2022, 10:05:16 AM »
Thanks, Ramba! :icon_alabanza:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
Nasal surgery went well.  Should breath fine at any angle of attack.  One of a kind nose.  Different type F-86 that looks period correct in its own way.  Great paint scheme and finish  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2022, 01:33:01 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :icon_alabanza: