Author Topic: 1/35 Rye Field Models T-55A  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Rye Field Models T-55A
« on: September 04, 2023, 10:12:26 AM »
Over at What-If, there's an excellent, ongoing build by The Chaos' of the Tamiya T-55A kit. 

Inspired by his build, I decided to move forward on a project I've wanted to do for a while: a T-55 in some forgotten African bush war.

The figure i was working on here is just practice for the eventual figures on this tank.

I have several T-55 and T-55 kits (including the Tamiya). I thought about using the Tamiya kit (which compares favorably with modern T-55 kits) but the PE set is on order. I asked my cat, Felix (who's been good at picking models to build)  if he could pick one for me, but the shelf with the T-55s was too high for him - he wasn't happy being held in a "Lion King" pose,

so he didn't pick one.  I eventually asked my wife; I was hoping she would pick the Takom or Tamiya but she picked the Rye Field Models T-55A Mod. 1981. Fair enough; I'd just gotten the kit so might as well start it.

This is a fun (and for the most part) trouble-free build. Clear instructions, beautiful molding and the parts are arranged in numerical order on the sprues (I hate it when "part 5" is next to "part 72" and "part 6" is next to "part 48"). The kit has workable tracks and surprisingly, I got almost all of the links to be fully workable - only one got stuck to the next track link and that was an easy fix. There are plenty of pins and tracks left over as well.

Here's where I was earlier today. Tracks are on just to check the tension. 91 links (as shown in the instructions) works well:

Most of the work today was gluing the deck in place and adding all the small bits. The lower hull comes in 4 parts (bottom, sides and rear) and I snapped the deck into place until everything was set. This helped when I eventually glued the deck in - ot just clicked into position. There are still some gaps, but some are there on the real tank and others will be hidden by the turret.

The wheels have prominent treads/mold lines that have to be sanded back quite a bit before they look realistic; I'll do that before I paint the model.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: 1/35 Rye Field Models T-55A
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 10:44:26 AM »
Poor Felix! Being abused like that!

Looks like your wife filled in for Felix perfectly. That kit looks pretty sweet.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 12:33:25 PM »
Felix demands to go into the model closet, daily. He sits by the door and gives a particular meow. I have to pick him up and let him sniff the model boxes, and he purrs the whole time.

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 06:19:01 PM »
Did you have to hold your wife up to help her pick too ;D

Lots of interesting painting & weathering options for an African T-55, looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:52:30 PM by Mig Eater »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 10:40:02 PM »
Those lines across the road wheels are, from memory, casting seams from the moulds for the solid rubber tyres.

They'd only be there for a short while, when new, before they were worn off but you can, more often than not, see them on the sides of the tyres.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:42:58 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 12:05:48 AM »
Felix demands to go into the model closet, daily. He sits by the door and gives a particular meow. I have to pick him up and let him sniff the model boxes, and he purrs the whole time.

I think it’s the picking up part that Felix is demanding!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 10:06:50 AM »
It doesn't feel like I've been making much progress on this model, but I have; yesterday I removed the mold marks on the road wheel contact surfaces but left the mold marks on the sidewalls. I also forgot to add the driver's periscopes and there was no way I would be able to cram them into place from the inside (I tried). So I cut the prisms off and glued them in under the covers. Problem solved.

I've been going page by page, slowly building up the main deck; no major issues except for the microscopic (about 1mm in diameter) covers/plugs on the fuel tanks. Three are required, four provided, I lost two. Luckily, I have several of the Meng Nuts and Bolts set and one of the nuts and washers was a reasonable facsimile.

The only tricky part so far has been the installation of the fuel tanks, braces and fuel lines; examine the instructions and dry fit to get an idea on how they go. The fuel lines are a work of beauty and they fit perfectly - the diagram on the instruction sheet is key.

One issue I've had in this build (since it is a Russian tank) is trying to figure out if the gaps or seams are something I have to putty or sand down or if they're a "feature" of the real tank. So far, about 80% have been a feature!

note that the front fenders haven't been attached; I'm trying to replicate one (or both) with copper or aluminum foil that I can crumple to replicate damage.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 02:03:36 PM »
The fuel lines are a work of beauty and they fit perfectly - the diagram on the instruction sheet is key.
Having been down the wire scratchbuild path... indeed these look wonderful

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 05:17:06 PM »
note that the front fenders haven't been attached; I'm trying to replicate one (or both) with copper or aluminum foil that I can crumple to replicate damage.

I hope that works out! 8)

Build is cruising along nicely! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 01:28:59 PM »
This model can be broken down into three assemblies that take roughly the same amount of time to make: tracks, hull and turret. The tracks are a tedious but simple assembly. The hull is a mix of large and medium sized parts, with only a few PE sections and not too many small parts. The turret has a few large parts but many, many intricate sub-assemblies and the most PE in the build; the DShK alone has five!

Anyway, I'm almost done with construction. No major issues, just plugging away at the tiny bits:

I made the "executive decision" to remove some equipment, like the snorkel tube, based on images of African T-55s. Instead, I made attachment points for the tube out of styrene (the kit's didn't match the pictures). I also skipped the vinyl bag and its PE straps that went on the rear of the turret. The two materials are a pain to work with individually and together they're just too much. I'll probably only use one of the fuel tanks at the rear as well.

I've been trying to simulate the tank fenders with copper foil with mediocre results; I may just leave one off.

Coming up is painting. I'll use a dark Russian green for the base color and cover it with a tan or sand color (or similar) to match the African tanks I've found online.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 06:08:51 PM »
Really nice, crisp detail on that kit, Frank, & it's still moving ahead nicely! :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 09:41:08 PM »
 Looks pretty neat so far. I think Would go nuts just thinking about what to attach and what not to attach before painting...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 11:06:31 PM »
Yeah, that is a problem, especially with the optics. I left off a few pieces. The good thing about the T-55s used in Africa is that you can use almost any mark, with any color and with almost any extra hardware.

I'm going to try an experiment with the painting - I'll use Badger Stynylrez green primer (maybe with a touch of black primer) and just a little bit of Acetone mixed in with the airbrush thinner. The Badger primer does a great job at sticking to the plastic, but I want to give it extra teeth, since I want to overcoat it with a lighter color and wear it down to the primer.

I'm not crazy enough to try it on the tank - I'll find a sacrificial piece first.

Speaking of nuts - here's a recent video of the Russian The 1430th Regiment and their newly issued T-55As (reportedly) recently deployed to Ukraine.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2023, 12:18:29 AM »
Lookin’ good.  Will be hugely interested to see how the paint job turns out.  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2023, 06:44:13 AM »
So pretty much out of the box.... impressive.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2023, 08:12:46 AM »
I tried the Badger Stynylrez green primer with a touch of Acetone; it didn't hurt the plastic at all (I used a sprue and some spare parts from the kit). In fact, the acetone may have interfered with the paint's adhesion - I could easily scratch it off. Oh well.

I also made a copper (with a sticky side) and aluminum foil fender, which I planned to bang up:

I may just go with a missing fender on that side.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »
Speaking of nuts - here's a recent video of the Russian The 1430th Regiment and their newly issued T-55As (reportedly) recently deployed to Ukraine.

The crews don't look very happy, do they. With good reason!

I'm aware that the T-55s have been sent to the Ukraine to be used as additional artillery support in the indirect fire role but you know some commander's going to find himself short of armoured vehicles & send the poor buggers in against Leo 2s & Chally 2s, if they're lucky against Leo 1s, but you know for sure ...
                                                             ... It won't be pretty! :o

Frank, this Ugandan T-55 that Story posted has flat-plate front track guards, the originals were probably battered beyond repair or torn off & replaced with sheet metal at some stage.

You could easily do the same! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2023, 11:10:44 PM »
Thanks, Story for the pictures.

Guy - That Ugandan T-55A looks way too clean for a regularly used vehicle. Good idea about the flat fenders/track guards. I'll try making one.

When less than 3 drones can take out a T-90 in Ukraine, those T-55s won't stand a chance and are probably scrap now.

This has been my build reference (even though it's a T-55AM and not a T-55A):

This one as well (proper T-55A):

One good thing about making an African tank - the colors can be whatever I want them to be.

Offline Story

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2023, 11:20:12 PM »
Thanks, Story for the pictures.

One good thing about making an African tank - the colors can be whatever I want them to be.

In reverse order, "if you can figure out what colors they are exactly" and *you're welcome.

Found this while looking https://www.exter-company.com/en/products/afrikanische-t55-panzerbesatzung

You would not be wrong to use that entire baggie of dunnage I offered you, then covered the dunnage with a full strength platoon of tank-riders (human and otherwise) until it looked like an Indian passenger bus.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:22:57 PM by Story »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2023, 01:11:28 AM »
She looks like my neighbor! :o

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2023, 02:47:18 AM »
... then covered the dunnage with a full strength platoon of tank-riders (human and otherwise) until it looked like an Indian passenger bus...

But is there an available 1/35 Combat Goat figure?

Frank: On fenders, I must cast my vote for at least one of your copper/aluminum foil creations. T'other fender could be missing or that sheet metal replacement  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
First coat of paint (AK Interactive 3rd gen light sand and middlestone, 2:1) over Tamiya NATO black and green.

Missed a few spots. I'll get them tomorrow:

It's not quite as green as this picture shows:

Tracks are painted in Vallejo steel - still flexible.

Next, finish painting the overall color, then paint the details, do some chipping, then more weathering.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2023, 05:41:15 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2023, 08:31:34 AM »
Getting there. Still need more dirt/scratches/rust and the tracks need weathering and some attention, plus some extra detailing.

Offline Story

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2023, 10:36:06 AM »
Nailed it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2023, 11:48:22 AM »
Thanks - it's still too pristine. It needs more chipping, rust, dirt, etc. I also need to adjust the track tension, which is a bit off.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2023, 03:38:30 PM »
it's still too pristine. It needs more chipping, rust, dirt, etc.

No argument here ..... But, then, I'm known for weathering the cr@p out of most of my builds (especially armour). :smiley:

I also need to adjust the track tension, which is a bit off.

I'm pretty sure, if you find The Chieftain's YouTube clips on the T-55, Nick will have a quick segment on the T-55 tensioning system. ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2023, 01:15:05 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Story

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2023, 04:49:58 AM »

I also need to adjust the track tension, which is a bit off.

I'm pretty sure, if you find The Chieftain's YouTube clips on the T-55, Nick will have a quick segment on the T-55 tensioning system. ;)

;D

More than you'll collectively ever want to know, with me having to go up to a filing cabinet, pull a manual and take a photo of the track-tensioning illustration.  https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.com/2017/01/t-54.html

Offline Story

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2023, 04:53:05 AM »
Thanks - it's still too pristine. It needs more chipping, rust, dirt, etc. I also need to adjust the track tension, which is a bit off.

1) You know what I meant - you bring it up to *that* level, then your tweaking begins.

2) Just add another link to each side, that'll give you the slop you want.

For the peanut gallery, this is WAY too loose (which means then tank could shed it's tracks if turned too hard, particularly on soft ground)
Also, note the amount of stowage - and that's BEFORE the so-damn-sad tank riders.

See the 'droop' between the top of each roadwheel? That's your sign that 1) the track tensioners for the idlers up front are busted somehow or 2) the crew is just too lazy to perform PMCS.  Look at any given T55 kit, the tracks are horizontal across the top of the roadwheels w/o 'droop'.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 04:57:42 AM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2023, 07:14:02 AM »
Either this TC keeps tight tracks, or I'm going to have to go back and droop some track.

Almost done with the tank (^see above) just need some stowage and spare tracks:

The color almost looks like a faded olive drab after the weathering:

Tank # is the year and month:

decal is from some random decal sheet:

Skull and cross bones also from another random decal sheet:

The fender is just taped on. I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

I'm also working on some figures to go with this.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2023, 07:20:30 AM »
Looking good-n-right  :smiley:
Ripe to be sitting on Acme used tanks for sale lot !

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2023, 07:38:56 AM »
Big tick from me

Offline Story

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2023, 04:00:29 PM »
Either this TC keeps tight tracks, or I'm going to have to go back and droop some track.

Nah, you nailed it already.

One vote for KEEP

I'm also working on some figures to go with this.

THIS. Can not wait for the animations.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2023, 05:39:29 PM »
Big tick from me

And me. Great work, Frank! :smiley:

One vote for KEEP

Same here! So, two votes! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2023, 01:13:13 AM »
Thanks guys. Just noticed that the right track is high over the second wheel - the track tooth isn't in the grove all the way. I'll get the mechanic to fix it...

I still have to fix the antenna, which I've broken off three times.  I was thinking of making rubber skirts for the sides, but not sure yet. I also have the fully built but unpainted DShK for the loader's hatch, but don't want the tank to appear too "professional"

This RFM T-55A kit has been great, so far. It takes a while to build (many, many parts) but it doesn't become a slog. Only a couple of errors or unclear steps in the instructions but the molding is excellent and the details really make the tank stand out. The movable tracks are the first that I've built that actually hold together and are fairly robust.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2023, 03:11:13 AM »
... The fender is just taped on. I'm not sure if I'll keep it...

Looks great to my eye. Nothing is going to say third-rate African force quite like sloppy tracks and a well banged-up fender  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2023, 03:27:03 AM »
 Came out looking like it ought to, Frank.  Great work.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2023, 06:43:13 AM »
Looks great!  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2023, 02:54:52 PM »
I'd fit the DShK. Most African T-55s seem to have them (even when covered in people). All you have to do is make it look dusty, rusty & poorly maintained.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2023, 08:40:15 PM »
That is definitely a tired and worn, but still functioning T-55.

Well done!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2023, 09:19:13 AM »
I added the DShK, in original green. Hard to see in this picture - the Sun was behind a structure. Here's the T-55A with its TC:

I need to add more ammo boxes to the tank and replace the antenna.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 09:26:51 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »
Awesome!!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2023, 04:09:06 PM »
 Nice build and awesome paint job - looks great!  :-* :-*

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2023, 09:47:19 PM »
A child-soldier TC ... That's scary! :o

Offline Story

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2023, 10:23:14 PM »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2023, 11:30:19 PM »
I started to add stowage but:

1 - this is turning into a Mr. Creosote project - just one more tiny morsel... I got other things to do
2 - the stowage hides the details and lines of the tank, which is one thing I don't want to hide. Maybe on a Lindberg T-55 or even a Tamiya T-55 without PE it would be worthwhile.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2023, 07:41:54 AM »
Be very careful of how much stowage you add, pics I've seen of T-55s in Africa show almost no stowage.

Offline Story

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2023, 08:56:00 AM »
Be very careful of how much stowage you add, pics I've seen of T-55s in Africa show almost no stowage.

Yeah, that's called a Bell Curve.  Check the naked T55 pics I posted earlier in this thread.

I like being a Devil's Advocate muse for Frank, since giving him a push to the extremes guarantees some pure bottled inspiration for the rest of us.

Maybe on a Lindberg T-55 or even a Tamiya T-55 without PE it would be worthwhile.

Good point. Gypsy caravan vehicles are time & place immaterial and I've got some salvage builds in the wings.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 09:11:52 AM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2023, 10:11:58 AM »
I'm calling the tank done - before I break off the radio antenna for the fourth time...

The ammo belt for the DShK is barely visible in this picture, but the kit part - like the rest of the kit - are sharp and well molded so the rounds were easy to paint:

TC and driver enjoying some lollipops:

The track on this side is actually good - some links are a bit stiff and keep moving into a spot where they're not resting as they should:

Overall, this was a great kit. Some assemblies seemed to go on forever, but the kit is well molded and goes together smoothly. With some care, the working, movable tracks actually move and don't fall apart.

Thanks for all the comments!

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2023, 03:45:29 PM »
Looks great  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2023, 08:07:00 PM »
Lots of troops but not much gear, they're too poor to have many belongings. ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 05:43:50 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Story

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2023, 08:33:41 PM »
Lots of troops but not much gear, they're too poor to have may belongings. ::)

::)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2023, 05:43:30 PM »
OK, so sometimes they get the opportunity to loot somewhere. ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2023, 09:57:11 PM »
OK, so sometimes they get the opportunity to loot somewhere. ;)

"Pillage and Plunder are two of the most useful management tools for achieving your objectives."
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2023, 06:26:08 AM »
"Pillage and Plunder are two of the most useful management tools for achieving your objectives."
That has been a Motivational Poster for armies since the Stone age.. Go get somebody else's Stuff.

Frank..this certainly a really nice build for you, everything works. A good looking, no fret build process helps with the painting process I find.