Author Topic: 1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)  (Read 8648 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2023, 08:58:15 AM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Frank, from the 2nd-last line of the post with the photo's:

A little bit a weathering, a touch of dry-brushing & lots more MUD! (Glorious MUD!) to finish her off.

;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2023, 10:59:18 AM »
Camo'ed the TC's tanker coveralls from the bottom of the body armour down - because it won't be seen & is, therefore, the perfect practice area. ;)

I'm glad I paid attention to the tips that Ramba gave out about putting camo decals on figures because, even though I did, I still had some small(ish) issues. ::)

Still, I've learned a bit - mostly relating to how stiff & fragile the Breeze Decals are until they've soaked up a LOT of Micro Sol. :-\

Overall, though, still quite happy with this first effort. Hopefully the important upper parts will go a bit better. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
Camo decals are a slow process, in that I have to do one patch then let it settle & dry before doing the next - & it can take a few hours for all the Micro Sol to dry.

Having been looking at the tank, itself, I think the weathering is done as is, any more would be too much.

So, next will be "mudding" &, maybe, the base/dio, but that will need me to be able to sit down at it for several hours uninterrupted, which may not happen for a little while.

In the meantime, onwards & upwards with the TC! :smiley:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2023, 03:59:16 PM »
Hmmm, I’ve never tried camo decals before (or even heard of them) so will be very interested to see and hear how it all goes.  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2023, 11:28:38 PM »
At the moment all I can say for how it's going is "I'm glad I'm using a digi-cam, where most of my faults are camouflaged by the camouflage!" :-\

This is, obviously, primarily a side-effect of my inexperience using the things but may, also, be something to do with this brand of decal; the body armour decals may indicate if this is so, as they're a different brand (but are also Ukrainian),

Time will tell! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2023, 12:14:36 AM »
A quick photo of where the TC is at, right now:

Click For Bigger View (CFBV)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2023, 01:51:03 AM »
The camo looks great! That's the saving grace of most of these camo decals. Yes, they're all stiff and take forever to conform to the figure, even with decal softener. But with a little care, they look the part!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2023, 10:38:27 AM »
Well, it turns out that's the easier sheet to deal with (Breeze Decals).

The Print Scale decals are even thinner, & more fragile, & take longer to come off the backing, although it appears that if I use Humbrol DecalFix to start with, then use the Microscale products it seems to hold together a little better.

With a larger pattern I think it would be much more difficult to hide the errors that I've made but the biggest difference comes from the printers & how they've printed the decals, & (I assume) with what type of ink.

Still, even with the stuff-ups, looked at from 12" to 8" away the decals still look good; it's only at 4" with a magnifier that you can see most of the repairs, & even some of those you need to know where they are & really look for them.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2023, 03:26:30 PM »
The TC looks great! What a revelation - decals for 1/35 scale figures… who woulda thought!!   :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2023, 09:01:39 AM »
I'm finding them finicky but, mostly, worth the effort.

Anyway, more photo's of the TC;

CFBV

He'll be getting a thin gloss coat tonight &, probably, some oil washes.

Then tomorrow I'll hit him with a matt coat & some dry brushing, followed by fitting the final pieces (mic & binoculars) & another matt coat.

After that he should be done!

Then it's back to the main event! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2023, 07:13:48 PM »
Glues are drying on the turret! :smiley:

However, I forgot that I'd still have to paint the antenna farm at the back of the turret once I'd fitted the wire for the antennae. :-\

But, still, nearly there! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2023, 11:38:13 AM »
For those of you who prefer pictures to words (&, let's face it, who doesn't?), I give you photo's of where I'm at, now;

CFBV

The turret is as finished as it's going to get, there are faults but ones I can live with & still be happy with the result.

Next is "mudding" ..... &, maybe, the base.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:40:39 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2023, 12:00:35 AM »
Wow, that looks fantastic - the painting looks scale realistic; you could fool people into believing it's a 1:1 scale tank if you photograph it outside with some trees in focus in the background. Maybe add an AK-47 or AT-4 lying on the turret; I've seen pictures of tankers with AT-4 tubes next to them. The Ukrainians seem to love plinking Orks with them.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2023, 06:48:06 AM »
Awesome! Loving the paint job!!  :-* :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #114 on: August 15, 2023, 05:28:24 PM »
Thank you very much, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2023, 04:17:49 AM »
Dang that looks good  :-*  Nice work OW  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2023, 06:36:25 AM »
Have to say, that is really, really good.

Interested in the decals for the camo, but at the same time, not interested. Sound too much like lots of effort for a good result, that probably can be achieved almost as effectively with paint.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2023, 04:01:43 PM »
Thank you, both, very much! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2023, 08:28:11 PM »
That is just the right amount of dirty, snowy and digital camo for me! 

"Gunner. Target T-72 direct front!"
"Up!"
"On the waaaaayyyyyy!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2023, 09:20:12 PM »
Thanks, LJ! :icon_alabanza:

Similar to my thoughts. ;)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2023, 03:24:57 PM »
Recent events and suspicions as to who is behind it and benefiting from the distraction caused suggests that there will be a lot of Israeli gear headed to Ukraine soon.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2023, 05:02:43 PM »
Yes, may not be that much of a whif shortly. ;)

Should try to get the base & final "mudding" done before that happens! ;D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2023, 02:21:05 AM »
Recent events and suspicions as to who is behind it and benefiting from the distraction caused suggests that there will be a lot of Israeli gear headed to Ukraine soon.

While I believe that there is a Russian hand (via Iran) behind the recent events, I would not expect anything to go from Israel to Ukraine until Netanyahu is no longer part of the picture.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2023, 01:14:37 AM »

While I believe that there is a Russian hand (via Iran) behind the recent events, I would not expect anything to go from Israel to Ukraine until Netanyahu is no longer part of the picture.

Sadly, I have to agree with that assessment.

That said, it is a great looking build, and an excellent notion.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2023, 04:27:22 PM »
Thanks, Doc! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :smiley: