Author Topic: 1/35 A new Leader - Hanna DONE  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 A new Leader - Hanna DONE
« on: September 08, 2021, 09:55:19 AM »
This is the second post-apocalyptic figure from Masterbox, to go with Vadim. The boxtop on Scalemates looks good:

The plastic looks OK at first sight, but once off the sprues, there are problems.

First off, tacking Hanna together shows her as being close to 53mm -54mm tall, which would make her at least 6'3" (1.9m) or taller... which is OK, but she looks gigantic compared to other 1/35 figures... maybe there's a lot of good protein and some sort of growth hormone or testosterone in the water in this post-apocalyptic future, or maybe Masterbox accidentally made her closer to 1/32.

She went under the knife and lost some height. She's still close to 6'/1.83m tall. I think I also have to do a little extra surgery around her waist:

... yeah, I think somebody has a sex hormone problem, or the Masterbox sculptors are fans of Eddie Izzard's face. This is even after I tried to make her face look less like a man's. I guess it's back to the plastic surgeon.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:17:29 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 A new Leader - Hanna
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 11:21:53 AM »
She's back from the plastic surgeon. I like the boxtop artwork, and tried to make the plastic match the woman's face. So Hanna has had a neck and jawline sculpting and thinning, cheeks hollowed out slightly to produce the prominent cheekbones, forehead slightly trimmed, hair reworked slightly:

I think I still need to trim the chin some more.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
Great work Frank!  Hanna's cosmetic surgery has helped in reducing her resemblance to Jay Leno to something closer to Annie Lennox from the Eurythmics.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 02:41:41 AM »
Yes, very nice work! The effects of surgury are especially dramatic in her jawline and neck  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:47:40 AM »
Great tweaks. Working up a leather look ?

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:20:45 AM »
Wow! Seriously impressive work improving the face.  :smiley: The faces seem to plague Master Box's figures at times. Wonderfully expressive on the box arts, less so in the kits. Their subject choice is always great, but if the face looks off, it kinda throws everything off. Proper sculpting makes painting convincing faces soooo much easier.
I wonder.... are there heads you could 3D print as a replacement? Does Thingiverse have something like that? Or could you - electronically - chop off the head of one of the printable figures you can download (MyMiniFactory/Loot Studios/.....)? There are some really nice sculpts out there.

Looking at the soles on the box top artwork, I reckon kit Hannah might be only about an inch taller than my sister.

Great work Frank!  Hanna's cosmetic surgery has helped in reducing her resemblance to Jay Leno to something closer to Annie Lennox from the Eurythmics.  :smiley:

;D Spot on!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »
Thanks for the comments.
Brian - the dark paint job is just for shadowing. I was going to paint her closer to the boxtop.

I did yet more plastic surgery today, and her face still needs more work! It's scrape, scrape, photograph... I guess I'm not being aggressive enough, especially around the Jay Leno-sized jaw. What's a little creepy for me is that the face on the boxtop artwork looks almost like a close friend of mine who died in 2002.

Moritz, I totally agree. Masterbox makes some great figures, but their molding can be sub par and some of their female faces - especially in 1/35 look like men. Look at this beauty:

The original Hanna figure was not just tall, her proportions were off. In the picture above, I trimmed some plastic off her waist and knees, trying to bring her down to 1/35 while keeping her proportions. I think the figure proportions look more like the boxtop after the surgery on the body. She's still pretty tall - just under  6'/1.83m in boots. Sadly, the kit's boots don't look like the boxtop.

I've thought of (and eventually plan to) making 3D printed 1/35 heads. They can be designed manually in a program like Blender, by basically sculpting the equivalent of digital clay, or they can be scanned - similar to the full body scans that both ReedOak and Live resin use for their figures.

Faces (and bodies) can also be designed programmatically with programs like Daz3D and MakeHuman. The Daz3D figure poses and clothing can be "distinctive" to the point of being stereotypes - like the figures in this thread for Diesel kits

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:59:44 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 06:41:51 AM »
I'm about 3/4 of the way with the head. There's no amount of re-sculpting that can make the head look like the boxtop. Besides the extensive plastic surgery on the chin and cheeks, I also did some work on her ears and nose and extended her neck with a short length of sprue, to fit into a hole I made in the body. I also added a plastic shaving to her head to approximate the hair on the boxtop. The face still looks a bit manly, but it is what it is. I still have to fix the wonky eyes (new 1/32-1/35 Archer eye decals) and trim them to size and fix some shading issues

Here's the head on the in-progress body. It'll go a little deeper into the body when it's done. I  think the right hand is either too big or open (or both):

Overall, pretty disappointing figure.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »
... yeah, I think somebody has a sex hormone problem,

Maybe Hanna was born Hanno, or Han . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 09:05:42 PM »
Might be time to pay eBay a visit and pick up a 1/35 female action figure on the cheap for a head. There seems to be quite a few on sale near your location

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 06:27:12 AM »
I reckon once you get it painted to a satisfactory level, all the gear on, it will look ok.

This type of figure is never going to match some of the higher level Resin figures as far as finesse of detail as much due to the creation process as the limitations of injection moulding

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 08:54:06 AM »
This type of figure is never going to match some of the higher level Resin figures as far as finesse of detail as much due to the creation process as the limitations of injection moulding

True, but many other Masterbox figures (including female figures) have been excellent and close seconds to resin or 3D scanned people. The last two builds - especially Hanna - have been almost at the Trumpeter figure level of "quality". Very disappointed with the facial detail and molding quality (which has been sub-par) in addition to the scale (or height) issues.

I'm almost done with the Hanna figure. Closeup shows some spots I need to fix, and the lighting really brings out painting issues. I'll fix them tomorrow.

She looks less manly in these pics:

The crossbow string was replaced with the Hitler Jugend brand nylon rigging material, although it barely visible now. I cut a channel in the stock to accommodate the string.

At the welcoming party, with Vadim (who looks pretty tall, compared to the other figures):

SHer sweater neck is using parts from  an old Speznatz blue lined t-shirt decal I made, years ago.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:57:00 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 A new Leader - Hanna DONE
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 05:43:33 AM »
I'm calling this one done.

The satchel on her left leg is from the kit, and it's supposed to have arrows in it. The arrows are so poorly molded that I decided to sand them out and cover the space with plastic goop from melted sprues. It looks better now. I removed the molded on backpack straps from her chest and shoulders because they lacked definition. The straps are Tamiya tape cut to length and painted, with PE buckles from a DML rifle sling sheet. Same with the knife on her boot and the straps on her leg:

If she looks stoned/dazed it may be because she's recovering from the plastic surgery:

The backpack is a resin part that Jeff sent me a few years ago. It fit better than the kit's backpack! The knife and canteen are from a DML Russian Spetznaz kit:

This was supposed to have been a quick build. Almost every part of the kit (except her left arm) was modified. To bring her to just under or around 1.8m/5'10"-6' height (from 6'3" - 6'4" or taller) the legs shortened and plastic removed from the waist. Straps removed from torso and indentation carved out at the bottom to match the legs/hips. Right hand broken and repositioned to better grip the crossbow; this hides her large man sized hands a bit. Face went through extensive plastic surgery, to make it less manly. Also added hair at the front to match the boxtop.

This model was a real disappointment, even more so than Vadim.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 05:51:06 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 06:35:54 AM »
Heroic work in the service of a less than stellar sculpt is no vice, Frank. ;) She looks pretty good, all in all, but I can see what you're saying about the quality of the sculpting.
I may have to pick your brains about figures in the near future - I have a VOTOMS (anime not-quite-giant robots) diorama in process, a kind of arena setting with the power suits duking it out while the spectators look on form the stands.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
Good save on a troublesome kit. Finished figure was worth all the work.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 10:09:16 AM »
Thanks, Mog.

@Craig - let me know how I can help.