Author Topic: LVT(A)-1A "Crocodile"  (Read 6884 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: LVT(A)-1A "Crocodile"
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2021, 08:40:28 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback, Ramba! :smiley:

But you're no bloody help with my conundrum, are you! ::) ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I tend not to give advice anymore as my advice is usually ignored.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »
Practice part of each on the hull bottom. Plenty of room and never be seen.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2021, 12:58:11 AM »
Guy,
You should do what I would do - put on stripes, decide it looks like crap, strip the model back to bare plastic, reapply the paint, try a different pattern, hate it, strip the paint again, reapply...

Or do what Brian suggests. Less suffering and wasted time.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2021, 02:19:43 AM »
At risk of intensifying your conundrum, I vote for both stripes and "splotches of Dark Earth"!  :smiley:

The idea is that this started off as a 'Top Ender' RAM vehicle (splotches) before being deployed to the Mekong delta (stripes).
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2021, 09:17:42 AM »
Well, at this stage, I've gone with a (supposedly) darker green (Tamiya XF-27 Black Green) tiger stripe look due to a push from several gent's over on WIM.

Can't say I'm overly impressed but that may be because the paint was pre-mixed quite a while ago for the airbrush & the Tamiya paint is considerably more matt than the SMS paints I've used for the rest, so it actually looks lighter at the moment. Maybe after gloss & dull coats it will look better? ???

Anyway, I'm still tossing up adding the SMS Dark Earth, in another stripy pattern, over that.

Photo's of where I'm at a bit later.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2021, 10:43:35 AM »
Photo's:

The photo's show my dilemma quite well, most places look too light, unless the light is coming from the correct angle when it looks darker.

Decisions! Decisions! :-\

PS: Some of you may have noticed the bolted-on plate added to the front. Almost all the images I've seen of the LVT variants from WW2 through Korea have this plate affixed but it isn't incorporated in the Italeri kit. So, with a piece of appropriate thickness styrene & a dozen Plus Model bolt heads, I've added it to my Vietnam era vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:50:33 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 11:02:30 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
Something very similar is highly likely, mate, albeit probably not so squiggly. :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 12:14:45 PM »
Looking good, very good!  Definitely one of those things that should have been a real thing!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 02:10:39 PM »
Have to agree with Jeff, this is so natural a look

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »
Right! I went with another set of stripy shapes for the SMS Dark Earth. Here are the photo's:

I think it looks alright; not too busy, not too plain.

Thanks, Jeff & BT! :icon_alabanza:

Not so sure about "should have been" but certainly a viable "could have been". :smiley:

Not too far off your idea, either, Ramba. ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 10:33:44 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2021, 06:56:46 AM »
Nailed it.

That works very nicely

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2021, 03:46:33 PM »
Thanks, again, BT! :icon_alabanza:

Yah, no more paint. Just needs a gloss coat, some decals & a matt coat ... & some weathering. :smiley:

Tracks (AFV Club) are, unfortunately, black; so will need some painting, too. The Italeri tracks are a nice metallic colour but are as stiff as a board! ::)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2021, 07:49:06 PM »
Tracks (AFV Club) are, unfortunately, black; so will need some painting, too. The Italeri tracks are a nice metallic colour but are as stiff as a board! ::)

Black ??  The ones I used were brown. Much more civilised. As to the italeri tracks, that is precisely why I ditched using them

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2021, 08:41:47 PM »

Black ??  The ones I used were brown. Much more civilised. As to the italeri tracks, that is precisely why I ditched using them

AFV Club indy links I bought are brown but the rubber tracks from my AFV Club LVT-4, which is what I'm using for this build, are black.

Just doing a few little touch-up bits that I forgot & she'll be getting glossed! :smiley:

Hopefully that'll fix the "different sheen" issue. We'll see. ::)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2021, 10:05:08 PM »
Gloss coat fixed the sheen issue a treat! ;D

Too shiny, now, for photo's. I'll take some once the decals & matt coat are done (before the weathering). :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2021, 10:33:25 AM »
Matt coat (Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear) has been applied. Just waiting for it to dry. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2021, 12:23:33 PM »
Photo's:

Annoyingly I'm still getting too much reflected light.

Also, the cable on the rear is slightly too long despite measuring the thread I used against the inside of the (highly problematic) Italeri plastic part, I guess it must have stretched during the painting process. :icon_crap:

Don't even mention red dry transfers! :o

Size comparison;

HUGE! is the first thought that comes to mind looking at those images. :icon_surprised:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 12:25:40 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »
"Awesome" is the first thing that comes to my mind. 

"Huge" is probably third or fourth.

Nicely done.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2021, 09:51:08 PM »
Looks great Guy!  As for the tow cable, those things often have a mind of their own when it comes to conforming.  Consider that to be just one more detail towards authentic. 

BZ!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Ramba

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2021, 09:55:25 PM »
Terrific job! The M4 and M41 look great too.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2021, 10:31:48 PM »
It's looking great! It's a beast compared to the other two tanks.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2021, 02:28:53 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2021, 04:23:43 AM »
That came out beautifully  :smiley:  The paint stands gives your Crocodile a bit of an anti-grav vibe ... probably not a bad idea for the Mekong delta ...

... Don't even mention red dry transfers! :o

Sorry ... gotta  ;)  "SALTIE" is the perfect name for this beast  :smiley:  Well worth any Letraset sacrifices demanded by the modelling gods  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2021, 07:07:22 AM »
Bloody Maaaaarvellous !! :smiley: :smiley:

Everything works, great scheme and terrific planning to get it together. Well done