Author Topic: 1/35 Post Apoc figures  (Read 38465 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 Post Apoc figures
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2021, 02:04:05 PM »
Scene with much promise

Absolutely! :D 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2021, 09:38:14 PM »
Scene with much promise

Thanks! Still waiting to get some stuff to finalize the layout. Not sure when I will be ordering them though. In the mean time, I am working on yet another proposed diorama.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2021, 09:39:55 PM »
Scene with much promise

Absolutely! :D 8)

Thanks! I haven't gotten everything I need to finish the layout just yet. Working on a new dio right now.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2021, 09:46:20 PM »
Working on yet another diorama idea. I haven't finished any of the previous ones but yet starting another, that's my typical modus operandi.

I have the  Hasegawa 1/35 roller kit and decided to do something different with it. The kit is mostly dry fitted as I still need to paint the orange and black separately before gluing together. The all black plastic parts are glued together and the all orange plastic parts are glued together but the black and orange parts are separate from each other and just taped/dry fitted for the photos.

Here is where I am at the moment. I will be adding more figures to the dio once I decide what the whole layout will be. I put a rider on the roller and he is running over a zombie.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2021, 09:47:29 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2021, 02:40:08 AM »
MOMMMMYYYYY!!!!!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2021, 02:51:39 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2021, 02:52:17 AM »
Gives new meaning to using "Blood & Bones" as a garden/lawn fertiliser....
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2021, 03:26:41 AM »
Gives new meaning to using "Blood & Bones" as a garden/lawn fertiliser....

;D ;D

Slow-release nitrogen in the blood, calcium and phosphorus from the bone meal. Just full of zombie gardening goodness  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Ramba

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2021, 05:23:46 AM »
Thanks all! Still deciding what to do with the roller and zombie. There will be more zombies and zombie hunters added to the dio but trying to decide how to lay it all out.

In the mean time, I worked on some concrete barriers. They might go on the zombie dio but I posed some other figures with them for now. The concrete barriers are vac formed from the Phoenix 1/35 Iraq Street Part D kit. I am not using them on the Iraq Street dio though. I am applying some AK Terrains Concrete on the barriers. The barriers have some areas molded to show broken concrete but the texture is too smooth overall. Here is one I started exactly one year ago. I only did one back then. I have two more to do. It's a pain applying the AK texture and takes a long time. I plaster on the AK concrete with a small artist's spatula to layer it on. I let it dry a little then use the spatula with a drop of water to smooth it out. After it all dries, I then wet sand it again to get it a bit smoother. Even though I am wet sanding to get smoother, it still has texture so it isn't as smooth as the original.

I had to cut the barriers from the vac sheet.

I filled the gaps with Tamiya plastic putty.

Once all the gaps were filled, I drilled some holes and made the lifting eye loops from plastic rod. After that was done, I applied the AK Terrains Concrete. You can see the rough texture from the AK Concrete.

After the AK Concrete dried overnight, I wet sanded it to get a somewhat smoother texture but not too smooth. You can see a side by side of the original before and after applying the concrete texture and wet sanding it.

Here it is. I just need to paint the lifting eye loops and rust them up then do some weathering on the concrete. Maybe a light wash.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2021, 07:53:31 AM »
Hmm, I think you may have over textured the barriers a bit, Ramba, as they tend to be pretty smooth when they come out of the moulds.

Something like talcum powder dusted onto pigment fixer may have given a better finish but I haven't done anything quite like this before, so I'm no expert.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgement* until the finished product.

[*: Not in a bad "judgy" way; just to decide if I'd do it the same way if/when I get around to doing something similar.]

Offline Ramba

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2021, 08:20:47 AM »
Hmm, I think you may have over textured the barriers a bit, Ramba, as they tend to be pretty smooth when they come out of the moulds.

Something like talcum powder dusted onto pigment fixer may have given a better finish but I haven't done anything quite like this before, so I'm no expert.

Anyway, I'm reserving judgement* until the finished product.

[*: Not in a bad "judgy" way; just to decide if I'd do it the same way if/when I get around to doing something similar.]

Yes, they are a bit over textured. I didn't want them too smooth. They will be in a post apoc setting so they will have wear and tear (weathered) over time. I didn't want them crumbling apart but wanted more of a rough texture to show that they aren't exactly new.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2021, 11:04:47 PM »
Italeri 1/35 Church Ruins. The back of the church is hollow so I filled it with stucco patch. The stucco patch is a little rough. Plaster patch would be better as it is a bit smoother but I already had the stucco patch on hand. Will let it dry overnight then prime it. Hopefully I can start painting it this weekend. Save the parts of the stucco patch that you scrape off so you can sprinkle around the base of the diorama as rubble. I showed it here because it will eventually be used in a post apoc setting.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2021, 11:55:57 PM »
Brilliant!  Definitely improves on the simplistic approach taken by Italeri to create structures.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
Post-apocalyptic, so the plaster is expected to be damaged & crumbling! ;) :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2021, 03:15:30 AM »
Brilliant!  Definitely improves on the simplistic approach taken by Italeri to create structures.

Thanks! Yeah, the hollow back of the walls really need some work.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2021, 03:28:48 AM »
Post-apocalyptic, so the plaster is expected to be damaged & crumbling! ;) :smiley:

Yes, the stucco patch is a more realistic representation of crumbling plaster at this scale. Similar to the AK concrete texture I used on the vac formed concrete barriers to represent aged and weathered concrete for a post apoc setting. I was thinking of using the smoother plaster patch though and putting cracks running along the wall. The stucco patch is too rough to scribe in the cracks. I would have to try to sand it smooth but the rough texture of the stucco patch is fine for showing the plaster crumbling after years of neglect. I already had the stucco patch on hand so I just used what I had. I don't have anymore Italeri buildings to use the plaster patch on to fill in the back of the walls so wasn't worth getting a whole 3lb tub just for one kit.

Here is a close up of the stucco patch on the back of the Italeri church wall.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Not post apoc but it will be a what if diorama.

I was browsing online for ideas for a rocky terrain or jungle cave and came across an aquarium resin skull cave. I thought it would be a great idea for a 1/35 diorama. I decided to get one to see how I could use it. It is just slightly bigger than 5x5 inches and comes already painted. The paint actually looks decent enough where I won't have to repaint it.

Here is the product advertisement photo showing the dimensions.

Unfortunately mine arrived broken in multiple pieces. I used some Crafter's glue to put it back together. So far the Crafter's glue seems to be holding.

Here it is glued back together. There is a 1/35 figure posed in the last photo for size comparison. In some of the photos you can see the white glue on the outside but I cleaned it up after the photos. There are two skulls and two openings in the front and rear. I might plaster up the rear opening though and hope I can match the terrain and color.

I found some small quart stones in the yard and cleaned them up. I will put them in the cave and use them as giant raw diamonds. Some treasure hunters/mercenaries will stumble upon the cave filled with the giant raw diamonds.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2021, 10:41:04 PM »
Well, this looks like a fun project! :D

And it's good to see you back, again, Ramba! :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2021, 10:50:24 PM »
Well, this looks like a fun project! :D

And it's good to see you back, again, Ramba! :smiley:

Thanks! I haven't had any motivation lately. I have been around just lurking in the background hahahaha!  :icon_ninja:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2021, 10:59:44 PM »
I will be adding some palm trees, banana trees and tropical plants to make a dense jungle. Hope it works out the way I want, it never does but I have to get it right one time hahahaha!

The palm trees and banana trees are from a guy in Thailand. These are the product ad photos.

The tropical plants are from J's Work. They are printed color paper that you cut then then you add your own wire for the stems. These are the product ad photos.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2021, 11:11:52 PM »
I have a bunch of those J's Works sets, plus others, but have yet to use them. One day! ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2021, 11:39:42 PM »
I have a bunch of those J's Works sets, plus others, but have yet to use them. One day! ;)

Definitely looking forward to seeing yours when you get to them. You do great work.

I used some last year and used .5mm copper wire for the stems.  I wasn't too happy with the diorama so I will reuse the J's Works leaves on the new skull cave diorama.

Here are the J's Works tropical leaves I did last year.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2021, 11:48:57 PM »
The skull cave sounds like a fun project! The Crafter's glue (especially the Amazon comments) make it sound a lot like Gator's Grip glue - really strong, flexible and clear.