Author Topic: Space Federation Scramble Ship FSS-3R ‘squid’  (Read 18524 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Space Federation Scramble Ship FSS-3R ‘squid’
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi all

Been out of the loop for a few weeks but now I am getting the urge to get back to the work bench and what better way to ease myself in with a gentle found objects/ scratch build.

So with a relatively tidy bench, new blades and Absolute Classic Rock playing quietly in the background....... it begins.

First a Little History

The Scramble Ship was first used as an assult craft, it carried around ten soldiers plus the pilot. It was an unarmed craft but was capable of incredibly high speed that made it impossible to track with sensor guided weapons . 

The scramble ship would approach it target at speed then rapidly decelerate and clamp itself to the enemy space ship using a six armed grab. Once secure a hole would be punched in the outer skin and a tube forced through to dispatch the troops.

If the attack was successful the Scramble  Ship would remain in position until the captured craft reached the shipyard.

Otherwise the troops would return to the assault  ship and it would the punch out causing a critical decompression in the enemy space ship as it left.

This worked well for a while, but the enemy got wise and installed energy cannons for local defense, after a a couple of massacres where the Scramble Ships were decimated as they were landing operations of this type were abandoned and the Scramble Ships were withdrawn from service.

But not for long, after a complete refit the Scramble Ships were adapted for a rescue role. All military equipment not required was stripped out to make space, a standard airlock was added so that it could attach to federation craft, the grab and explosive entry system was retained for emergency rescues and the controls for the grab were enhanced to make it more dexterous allowing it to catch escape capsules and bring them back to the main battle cruiser.

The “squids” stayed in service long after their scheduled retirement date as the intended replacements could not match its ruggedness and adaptability.

When it was finally retired the remaining craft were demilitarised and snapped up by shipyards and scrap dealers for fetching and carrying heavy loads. The last few were finally retired due to lack of spares.

This build starts with a pill bottle, the neck of which had been cut off previously. I have glued some plasticard inside to give an anchor for the plastic parts I am going to hang off it and capped the back and front.

The command module is a surplus plastic easter egg.

Here is the main body assembled and the engines under construction, plus some other bits I may use.
by Robomog, on Flickr

I have designed the grab and prototyped it on paper, here’s a couple of shots of the results.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

So far, so good

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:05:09 PM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline ed s

• An outstanding, creative builder.
Re: Space Federation Scramble Ship FSS-3R ‘squid’
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:27:58 AM »
This works. Looking forward to how it goes.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:57 AM »
Great start. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 05:02:00 AM »
I like this one and the shape is a nod to classic sci-fi topped with a twist!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 03:41:23 AM »
Hi all
A bit more progress.

The main engines are on and I have tidied up the joint between the major components, I discovered a joint line running around easter egg command  module so I have covered this with a strip of plasticard. That was fun, not, the two part adhesive I was using had no grip whatsoever  and for some reason reacted with the tape I was using to hold the plastic strip down causing it to unstick and the strip to ping up. Things got very messy  !

I got there in the end by doing it in stages using the mk 1 finger to hold it down.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Work on the grab has started I have cut the center piece and the six arms. The arms will be further cut into three pieces and hinged in some way

20191008_204633 by Robomog, on Flickr

Hopefully I will have the hinge solution for the next post.

More when it happens

Mog
>^-.-^<

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:09:06 AM by Robomog »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »
@Mog

Something not quite right with your image links. 

Getting a broken image icon on this page and when I click on it to open up the Flickr page it shows this:

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Here's a link back to your home page.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 07:31:16 AM »
@Mog

Something not quite right with your image links. 

Getting a broken image icon on this page and when I click on it to open up the Flickr page it shows this:

This photo is private.

Oops! You don't have permission to view this photo.

Here's a link back to your home page.

I'm not seeing any photos either and when I click the links I see some of your older builds like that magnificent Catalina.

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 08:10:17 AM »
Hi guys, sorry about that, I've sussed the problem.

To get Flickr to give me an embedding code on my android phone I have to make it "public"  but when I change it back to "private" the URL changes, thanks Flickr, not !

Damn inconvenience, means I can't post updates while I'm on the train  into work.

I will get on to my PC tomorrow and redo the links.

Ahem.....  Mog management apologises for the inconvenience caused. 

Normal service will resume as soon as possible.

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:14:18 AM by Robomog »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »
Other post too, please! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »
Will do .......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »
Photos reposted, should be visible now.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 05:11:44 AM »
Those engines are looking good, Mog!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 04:47:40 AM »
Hi all
Worked out a solution for the grabs, essentially it will be a plastic rod passing through a plastic tube and the arm component glued to the rod, the tube will then be glued to the adjoining component to form the hinge.

It will look something like this.

by Robomog, on Flickr

I am now going into mass production to manufacture all the components for the other five grab arms.  This project is snow balling like my previous ones, I need to manufacture fifty four pieces on the arms alone and that’s before any detailing is attempted.  Ah what fun..... 

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:52:40 AM by Robomog »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
Do you need any assistance from Mr Henry Ford, perchance? ;)

Carry on! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
Henry Ford pah !

Got an  unplanned couple of nights  at the workbench,  now I'm not saying I have the same facilities or my system is any better than Mr Fords but you can never have too many reverse tweezers.

by Robomog, on Flickr

The centre plate has been lined with plastic angle to  mount the arms on, and some detail added.  All the components for the grab are ready for final assembly.

More when it happens

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »
I'm enjoying following your progress, Mog and I really like the details you're putting together.

Those hinged panels are especially well done.

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 07:27:55 AM »
Hi all

A bit more progress,  and I have a bit of good news/ bad news.

Good news: The grab is complete and all the arms are working

by Robomog, on Flickr

Bad news: some of the joints are a bit loose, so its going to be difficult to pose the arms.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Hopefully when I paint them things will stiffen up.

I've also started on some of the additional bits for the main body.

by Robomog, on Flickr

I've been using mesh inserts for pipes to create mesh screens on the spaceship you can buy quite a few of these packets for a couple of quid on wish geek, it's a lot cheaper than the photo etch stuff but obviously you are limited to the maximum size you can use.

More when it happens.........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 11:40:28 PM »
Bad news: some of the joints are a bit loose, so its going to be difficult to pose the arms.
You might try a dab of white glue, just a small titch at one end of the hinge. It won't actually grab the plastic and, once the actual and minimal adhesion of the glue to the plastic is overcome, it will probably stiffen up the joints nicely.

Just a thought and try it on a sample first.  ;)

Paul

Offline Robomog

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »
Thanks Paul

Sounds like a good suggestion, I'll have to raid me shed for some PVA

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 05:07:56 AM »
I like how those arms are shaping up!

Abracadabra, gonna reach out and grab ya!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2019, 07:07:00 AM »
LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi all

Another progress update

I have done some more detailing on the grab. I am half way through adding attract/repulse energy coils to the grab arms and I have redesigned the central plate by removing the four brown disks and adding the forced access entry hatch and more energy coils

by Robomog, on Flickr

On top I have added some locating stubs, these will be stuck to the plasticard I previously installed inside the pill pot, I will back this up with gel superglue when the final joining comes. I have also added some detail to the central plate.

I’m not sure what I am going to do on the top surfaces of the grab arms  yet, perhaps some simple ribbing or I may leave it as a plain flat plate

by Robomog, on Flickr

On the main body of the spacecraft I have added some vents and installed the tube which will act as a pivot for the auxiliary engines.

by Robomog, on Flickr

The auxiliary engines will rotate to assist with deceleration,  separation in an emergency, additional speed and manoeuvring.

They are shown here placed in position together with the conventional air lock.

More when it happens.......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2019, 12:33:59 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 04:17:51 AM »
Wow you've made progress by leaps and bounds on this fantastic sci-fi build, Mog!

Those engines look great!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 03:12:18 AM »
This is looking seriously good 'mog  :smiley:

I’m not sure what I am going to do on the top surfaces of the grab arms  yet, perhaps some simple ribbing or I may leave it as a plain flat plate ...

Simple ribbing would look good ... but maybe will distract from all that cool undersurface detailing?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."