Author Topic: smaller capacity & lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers???  (Read 3926 times)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
G'day all

I'm in search of smaller (size and capacity) and lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers than that of the more common Mk25 and Mk29 8-cell box launchers.
I know of the smaller 4-cell Selenia Aspide SAM launcher, as found on the Ecuadorian Esmeraldas-class and Malaysian Laksamana Hang Nadim-class corvette's, but I don't know it's official title/designation?
I'd also appreciate any other smaller/lighter ship-based Sea Sparrow/Aspide SAM launchers that you might know of out there.

Thanks in advance

MAD

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Why not go with the RAM or SeaRAM system?  One version of the 144th scale Revell Type 43 Fast Attack Craft has the RAM replacing the aft Oto-Melera 76mm turret.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jonesthetank

• Almost as dumb as I look
Bet I can guess what this is for!

I was thinking Sea Chaparral could be a solution to your problem Rob.

Cheers

Mark

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
I know of the smaller 4-cell Selenia Aspide SAM launcher, as found on the Ecuadorian Esmeraldas-class and Malaysian Laksamana Hang Nadim-class corvette's, but I don't know it's official title/designation?

I don't know f a specific designation for the smaller box version.  It is simply referred to now as the MBDA Albatross:  https://www.mbda-systems.com/?action=force-download-attachment&attachment_id=5244
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
I was thinking Sea Chaparral could be a solution to your problem Rob.

Indeed:

What scale are we looking for?

Offline M.A.D

Thank you for your replies and input, and yes Mark (Jonesthetank) you're correct.

The system I need is for early 70's application (hence the RIM-7 Sea Sparrow) of Western origin, in relation to my Alternative ADF ORBAT. It also needs to have an 'all aspect engagement' capability with an anti-missile capability - which I don't think the Sea Chaparral IR system could offer.

P.S. thank's for the brocher on the Albatross Greg (GTX), as it denotes "The system is available in three versions of launchers (four, six and eight-cell)", and these four and six-cell are the launchers and their technical designations I think I'm sorting!!

M.A.D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:31:19 AM by M.A.D »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Maybe do a version of the Sea Chaparral using AIM-9C, the semi-active radar homing version?  One might even do a mixed bag with a pair of SARH and a pair of IR ones per launcher?

That said, something lie Albatros/Aspide works as well.  Re the launcher sizes, I couldn't find anything referring to different sub-designations (they may exist internally at MBDA and  Selenia/Alenia beforehand but I can't find anything other than what was in that brochure.

Looking at other options, one might also go with a version of RIM-7 sea Sparrow, perhaps using a launcher such as this:

Or even Sea Dart.  I read that a lightweight Sea Dart version with minimal changes to the missile itself, but based in a new sealed box-launcher was looked at. Supposedly a four-box trainable launcher was developed that allowed it to be mounted to ships as small as 300 tons displacement.

Offline M.A.D

Thanks once again for your valide input Greg (GTX)!

I like the SARH / IR combo, very sensible, very Soviet.
But alas, the information we've sorted in the past in relation to the AIM-9C SARH, with the Vought F-8 Crusader, clearly indicated 'unreliability'. On top of that, as you'll see and appreciate in the backstory of the ship this missile/launcher is to be placed on, the Chaparral/Sea Chaparall doesn't have the necessary range envelop, which is needed; again hence the Sea Sparrow preference mate.

Interesting that you should post the 4-cell and-based launcher Greg, I personally like its light-weight nature and incorporated sensors, in terms of its lrospect of ndividuality of operation!! A marinzed derivative might be workable!!
[I even found a 6-cell derivative]

Regarding Sea Dart box launchers, I have to excuse it, as Sea Dart is not operated by the RAN in my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT'; and the associated Sea Dart radar/fire-control systems are way to big, heavy and complex for the ship it's intended to arm.

M.A.D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:18:17 AM by M.A.D »