Author Topic: "What If" Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Variants In Pre-June 1940 RAI Markings  (Read 10014 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern

The Aeronautica Macchi C.202 was WWII Italy's best interceptor fighter produced in quantity - at least 1,070 produced - though better Italian interceptors appeared later in the war albeit in far smaller quantities.

In July 1939 the Regia Aeronautica Italiana (RAI) requested Officine Meccaniche Reggiane SpA to redesign their Re.2000 to accommodate the German Daimler-Benz DB 601Aa engine as the Re.2001; in November 1939 Alfa Romeo acquired a license to produce the DB 601Aa as the RA.1000 R.C.41-I Monsone for the Re.2001 well as for other Italian aircraft, Aeronautica Macchi meantime independently acquired its own DB 601Aa for what would become the C.202 as a private venture. Based on the Fiat A.74 R.C.38 14-cylinder air-cooled radial engine powered Macchi C.200 designed by Mario Castoldi (1888 - 1968), the prototype MM.336 first flying on December 24, 1937,  in January 1940 Castoldi began design work on the C.202 mating the C.200 wings, landing gear, vertical & horizontal tail units to a new fuselage incorporating the DB 601Aa, construction of the sole prototype MM.495 commencing shortly thereafter first flying on August 10, 1940.

From the time of the C.200's first flight in 1937 Castoldi later in competition with Re.2000 designers Roberto Longhi & Antonio Alessio had wanted to power their aircraft with in-line engines. Few indigenous Italian in-line aero engines in the late 1930s produced over 1,000 horsepower so because of inadequate Italian aero engine production capacity never mind intransigence by RAI leadership, Chief of Staff Giuseppe Valle (1886-1975) in particular, years of development opportunity was lost. For "What If" purposes here its assumed the RAI soon after the C.200's first flight would lend priority in getting Italy's first fully modern in-line engine powered monoplane interceptor flying by early 1939 to favorably compete against British Hawker Hurricanes & Supermarine Spitfires operating in the Mediterranean & North Africa by 1940 instead of relying on obsolescent FIAT CR.42s, G.50s & Macchi C.200s.

Below are selected photos of my "What If" builds of 1/72 scale, 1963-vintage FROG Macchi C.202 kits incorporating four Breda-SAFAT 12.7 mm fuselage-mounted machine guns arranged ala the 1943 Macchi C.205N-1 as base armament, some fitted with extra machine guns, 150 kg bombs, German Waffenfabrik Mauser MG-151 15 mm guns in underwing pods:

"Mid-1940" Interceptors & Fighter-Bombers

"Late 1940" North African Fighter-Bomber

"1941" Six Breda-SAFAT Machine Gun Night Fighter

"1942 Russian Front Ground Assault" With MG 151 15 mm Underwing Pod Guns

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:05:18 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Re: "What If" Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Variants
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »
Welcome to BTS RIK!!

Dont see enough Italian WhatIfs, these are gorgeous.

Ciao
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
very nice

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
Those are some magnificent Macchis and I don't think I've ever seen that famous Italian mottling done better!

Those blistered guns on the fuselage sides are an excellent touch.

Welcome to BtS! It looks like you fit right in!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 02:10:41 AM »
Welcome aboard - great entrance! :smiley:

What kits did you use?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:13:21 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 03:53:29 AM »

What kits did you use?

FROG Macchi C.202 kits 1968-74 F225F reissues off eBay decade ago when "dime a dozen".

Since 2006 been building Regia Aeronautia Italia & Aeronautica (RAI) Nazionale Repubblicana (ANR) subjects all of which are posted on the STORMO! website, currently building five SUPERMODEL C.202s in various camo schemes, will post pix there when done by mid November. I plan on building a SUPERMODEL FIAT G.55 model in ANR livery with five 20 mm cannons using parts from their Macchi C.202 kits as a "Bomber Killer" ala the Focke Wulf 190A-5/U12 in 2020 if not sooner. I'm still debating on building the Academy B-17B kit I got in RAI livery, Italy had considered getting a production license from Boeing to build their "Fortezza Volante" but instead built the Piaggio P.108 albeit in small numbers.

Also please read this: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8196.0

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 04:27:21 AM »
Beautiful work!!  I say that as one who has a special fondness for Macchi products.  Their are some interesting conversions and resin kits out there for them.  Italian Wings made a MC.205M conversion with a Merlin up front and SEM Models makes a Mc.204 conversion for what would, today, be called a LIFT variant.  SEM Models also does resin kits of the MC.205N-1 and MC.205N-2.

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 04:41:02 AM »
Beautiful work!!  I say that as one who has a special fondness for Macchi products.  Their are some interesting conversions and resin kits out there for them.  Italian Wings made a MC.205M conversion with a Merlin up front and SEM Models makes a Mc.204 conversion for what would, today, be called a LIFT variant.  SEM Models also does resin kits of the MC.205N-1 and MC.205N-2.

Evan, this is Richard of Cameron Park, CA, glad to see y'all are still on the Internet! I have near all the 1/72 scale SEM RAI & ANR kits well as the Italian Wings C.205M, will get to building some of them soon!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 09:12:20 AM »

Evan, this is Richard of Cameron Park, CA, glad to see y'all are still on the Internet! I have near all the 1/72 scale SEM RAI & ANR kits well as the Italian Wings C.205M, will get to building some of them soon!
Salud!! Amigo.  Good to see you here.  I thought I recognized the style of some of the art you posted.  Yeah, SEM has some great stuff (I've got most of there products, too).  I've got at least three of the Italian Wings MC.205M conversions.  One is going to be a captured MC.202 converted as a testbed by RR, one will be a post-war AMI aircraft, and one will be an export aircraft (exact country TBD).

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:19:14 AM »
Salud!! Amigo.  Good to see you here.  I thought I recognized the style of some of the art you posted.  Yeah, SEM has some great stuff (I've got most of there products, too).  I've got at least three of the Italian Wings MC.205M conversions.  One is going to be a captured MC.202 converted as a testbed by RR, one will be a post-war AMI aircraft, and one will be an export aircraft (exact country TBD).

I've still got all the aviation research info y'all gave me over 20 years ago! J-Aircraft website still has all my early Japanese art renderings up, Luft46 all my 2000-2013 renderings. I've not produced anything since 2013 nor will I till all my scale models are built, would like to resume artistry work c.2022. Have lotta time in hands since the folks died in 2015, keeping fingers cross I'll be up to doing so then.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:21:35 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Future Builds Update...
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »

What kits did you use?

FROG Macchi C.202 kits 1968-74 F225F reissues off eBay decade ago when "dime a dozen".

Since 2006 been building Regia Aeronautia Italia & Aeronautica (RAI) Nazionale Repubblicana (ANR) subjects all of which are posted on the STORMO! website, currently building five SUPERMODEL C.202s in various camo schemes, will post pix there when done by mid November. I plan on building a SUPERMODEL FIAT G.55 model in ANR livery with five 20 mm cannons using parts from their Macchi C.202 kits as a "Bomber Killer" ala the Focke Wulf 190A-5/U12 in 2020 if not sooner. I'm still debating on building the Academy B-17B kit I got in RAI livery, Italy had considered getting a production license from Boeing to build their "Fortezza Volante" but instead built the Piaggio P.108 albeit in small numbers.

Also please read this: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8196.0

Gave up on building the Academy B-17B in RAI livery, donated the kit to Viking Hobby Sacramento for a B-17 hugger to build some months ago. Insufficient "Italian" spare model parts, physical space to store the thing bothered me never mind spending U.S. $150 for a display case. The SUPERMODEL G.55 five 20 mm cannon build will happen early this summer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:14:37 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
More Photos Of Macchi C.202 Variants In Pre-June 1940 RAI Markings
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 09:59:30 PM »

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:19:37 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Great stuff as always, RK!

Love the paint work!

Brian da Basher

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
Some lovely camouflage schemes!  :smiley: Love the night-fighting (?) one with the black undersides. Looks suitably sinister.  :icon_vader:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"