Author Topic: 11.75" (29.8 cm) Aircraft Rocket, "Tiny Tim"  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
11.75" (29.8 cm) Aircraft Rocket, "Tiny Tim"
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:27:13 AM »
The 11.75" Tiny Tim and the 5.0" (12.7 cm) HVAR* are two of my favorite rocket weapons.  While there is not much you can do with something as large as the Tiny Tim, I did come up with an interesting laser guided version based on a couple of ordnance drawings showing the weapon in two perspective views (see attached images) with a Pave Way I/II and Pave Way III guidance section attached to the rocket warhead. 

My next project with the Tiny Tim will be to try and adapt an electro-optical seeker to the nose of the warhead but that will require some control fins which still need to be sorted out. 

Click on image to view Wikipedia link and larger image. 

(Image source: U.S. Naval Weapons Center China Lake, CA via Wikipedia)

Other on-line resources for Tiny Tim:

Wikipedia - Tiny Tim 11.75" (29.8 cm) Aircraft Rocket
Andreas Parsch' Designation Systems Page - CalTech/NOTS "Tiny Tim" 11.75" (29.8 cm) Aircraft Rocket
Gene Slover's U.S. Navy Pages - Naval Ordnance and Gunnery Vol. 1, Chapter 11, Rockets and Guided Missiles
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum - Tiny Tim Aircraft Rocket
Popular Mechanics Magazine - "Smash Hits (pages 113-115) - Page 115 has an image showing a P-51 Mustang suspended from an overhead gantry while firing a Tiny Tim. 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Attached images:
First image shows a standard Tiny Tim
Second image shows a Tiny Tim with the Pave Way I/II guidance section
Third image shows a Tiny Tim with the Pave Way III guidance section
Fourth image is a screen capture of the 3D model I created using Google's SketchUp 3D modeling program

*5.0" HVAR aka High Velocity Aircraft Rocket
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:46:00 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 11.75" (29.8 cm) Aircraft Rocket, "Tiny Tim"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:36 PM »
Tiny Tim with the Pave Way III guidance section is interesting.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
Easy enough to modify the True Details (KMC) 1/48th scale Tiny Tim or craft your own from Evergreen or other brands plastic.  I may try to use the forward section of the AGM-114 Hellfire to create the EOGB version of the Tiny Tim.  Certainly a weapon worth considering for an alternative guided missile weapon. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:17:26 AM »
VERY interesting indeed! And suddenly that HAS doesn't look so hard any more!  >:D
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"