Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 135602 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #300 on: July 18, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »
I was thinking something along those lines, but also as a possible upgrade to the New Zealand M41s in their lovely 4 color MERDC-inspired scheme. Danish and Norwegian would both be lovely, as well as sort of a Team Yankee sort of M114/M551 replacement instead of the M3 Bradley.

Looking forward to it, whatever you do!

Great idea, but how about Scorpion and / or Scimitar turrets for an NZ M-41 upgrade to serve along side the Scorpions

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #301 on: July 19, 2019, 05:20:21 AM »
I'd say a promotion is fortunate &, depending on where, an overseas move can re-invigorate the ol' grey cells! :smiley:

Very true and the extra cash is not too shabby either.   ;)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #302 on: July 19, 2019, 05:24:00 AM »
Great idea, but how about Scorpion and / or Scimitar turrets for an NZ M-41 upgrade to serve along side the Scorpions

Looked at Scorpion, Scimitar and even Warrior turrets but all lacked the additional bulk of the Bradley turret and looked a bit lost on the M41 hull - although to be fair the 30mm Rarden did look the part compared to the diminutive Bushmaster!  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #303 on: July 19, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »

Looked at Scorpion, Scimitar and even Warrior turrets but all lacked the additional bulk of the Bradley turret and looked a bit lost on the M41 hull - although to be fair the 30mm Rarden did look the part compared to the diminutive Bushmaster:smiley:

Well, you know what to do, then! ;) ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #304 on: July 21, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
Well, you know what to do, then! ;) ;D

Oh now why did you have to go and say that!  ;D. Someone bring me my scalpel...  ;)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »
Metal barrels for the 30mm Mk44 Bushmaster II and RARDEN are available to allow a quick and reasonably easy conversion I would think. 

• 30mm Bushamaster II

RB Model  35B114 1:35  30mm Bushmaster II Gun Barrel
    Master Model GM-35-012 1:35 ATK Mk.44 Bushmaster II 30mm Gun Barrel
  • RARDEN

RB Model 35B037 1:35 30mm L2A1 RARDEN Gun Barrel
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Claymore

« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2019, 05:06:20 AM »
Thanks Jeff - order placed! 

After consideration, I have decided to go with the 30mm Bushmaster II,  it gives the greater lethality and commonality of ammunition with other European allies without all the hassle of adopting the Rarden.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: July 23, 2019, 05:21:16 AM »
No problem, glad to help.  I was under the impression that the L2A1 RARDEN and 30mm Mk44 Bushmaster II both use the same ammunition but I may be wrong.  One source states the L2A1 RARDEN uses 30X170mm and another source states that the Mk44 Bushmaster II uses 30X173mm.  Which is odd since the 30mm GAU-8 Avenger uses the same 30X173mm ammunition as the Mk44 Bushmaster II. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2019, 05:38:08 AM »
One factor thus far not mentioned is that the RARDEN is magazine fed - six rounds a magazine, whereas the Bushmaster is belt fed.

Another matter is that of "RARDEN thumb".  It seems that the RARDEN needs to be cleared by placing your thumb into the chamber.  Unfortunately, the bolt often comes forward with shattering force and smashes the thumb badly, so badly that it needs to be removed.   Not a good thing for a soldier!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #309 on: July 25, 2019, 02:24:25 AM »
Another matter is that of "RARDEN thumb".  It seems that the RARDEN needs to be cleared by placing your thumb into the chamber.  Unfortunately, the bolt often comes forward with shattering force and smashes the thumb badly, so badly that it needs to be removed.   Not a good thing for a soldier!

:o
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #310 on: July 27, 2019, 01:52:34 AM »
No problem, glad to help.  I was under the impression that the L2A1 RARDEN and 30mm Mk44 Bushmaster II both use the same ammunition but I may be wrong.  One source states the L2A1 RARDEN uses 30X170mm and another source states that the Mk44 Bushmaster II uses 30X173mm.  Which is odd since the 30mm GAU-8 Avenger uses the same 30X173mm ammunition as the Mk44 Bushmaster II.

Yup the Rarden does indeed use a subtly different 30mm round (30x170) that is not interchangeable with the more common US/NATO 30x173 round.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #311 on: July 27, 2019, 02:01:07 AM »
One factor thus far not mentioned is that the RARDEN is magazine fed - six rounds a magazine, whereas the Bushmaster is belt fed.

Yes, the ammunition feed is a major concern although I wasn’t aware of the thumb issue!  :o

Offline Claymore

« Reply #312 on: July 27, 2019, 02:01:44 AM »
30mm barrel is now in the house!  :smiley:

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #313 on: July 27, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
Yup the Rarden does indeed use a subtly different 30mm round (30x170) that is not interchangeable with the more common US/NATO 30x173 round.

Yes, the RARDEN 30 mm was derived from the 30 x 170 Hispano-Suiza HS 831L/Oerlikon KCB round.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2019, 11:56:32 PM »
M41 Scout Update:

New 30mm M44 Bushmaster II installed.  No excuse for not finishing it off...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 01:06:17 AM by Claymore »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2019, 03:40:14 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #316 on: July 28, 2019, 06:50:12 AM »
That barrel looks great! I'd be so tempted to keep it like that, seems more menacing that way.

It's probably a good thing I don't build much armor and never use after-market when I do.

Nice progress and thanks for the play-by-play!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #317 on: July 28, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
Looking good, mate! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #318 on: July 28, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »
Looking very good

Offline Claymore

« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2019, 08:42:17 AM »
Ok, so part of the reason I have been so tardy in getting anything done in the last month is that I have just moved house from the Highlands of Scotland to darkest Missouri of all places.  Just move in a couple of days ago and going to be here for the next 3 years, MoD and US DoD allowing.   :smiley:

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »
Sounds like Fort Lost in the Woods! Some nice recreation opportunities on Lake of the Ozarks if you like fishing. Welcome to the US!

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2019, 09:05:16 AM »
I hope your location puts you near to SprueBrothers so you can visit their store in person.  I am told they have a lot of interesting items at reduced prices.  Other than that, be prepared for cold winters and hot summers. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »
Ok, so part of the reason I have been so tardy in getting anything done in the last month is that I have just moved house from the Highlands of Scotland to darkest Missouri of all places.  Just move in a couple of days ago and going to be here for the next 3 years, MoD and US DoD allowing.   :smiley:

Playing soldier with the Yanks, eh? :smiley:

Have fun, mate! 8)

And hope to see some models appearing soon! ;)

Maybe you can call in on Nicholas Moran (a.k.a. The Chieftain, from World of Tanks), I believe he lives in California, somewhere? ???

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2019, 10:54:17 AM »
That's only some 1500 miles away, an easy trip (NOT!).

Anyway, welcome to the USA and I hope you enjoy your stay here.   If you manage to get down Fort Worth way, I'd love to meet up; alternatively, perhaps something splitting the distance, like Oklahoma City, would work better.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
Sounds like Fort Lost in the Woods! Some nice recreation opportunities on Lake of the Ozarks if you like fishing. Welcome to the US!

Indeed it is and thanks mate!