Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 137805 times)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2016, 12:01:33 PM »
Jackal MRAP

This is a project for MacCaulay and his Invasion of Kenya TL. He is entirely at liberty to re-invent the background for the vehicle but this is sort of how I imagined it...

The Jackal M3 MRAP was very much a product of its time. With the various insurgents unable, on the whole, to meet the heavily armed SouthRATS on equal terms, they increasingly turned to the use of landmines and IEDs to limit the RATS' freedom of movement. The ubiquitous M3 Halftrack with its flat bottom was particularly vulnerable and with a marked rise in losses to said mines/IEDs it fell to the Kenyan Defence Force REME (Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers) to come up with a solution.

What started as a plan to simply add addition armour plate to the underside of the vehicle quickly turned into the world’s first purpose designed MRAP. The angled V-shaped plates gave a good compromise between weight and blast protection with the added heavy duty roll bars giving additional head protection should the vehicle be tipped over. Although far from perfect, the Jackal was a firm favourite with all who used them. This relatively simple home-grown modification also paved the way for future more successful MRAP designs.

Unfortunately, I had to use a M21 Mortar Carrier as the base for the project as the M3 Personnel Carrier no longer seems to be available - a lot of retro-construction was therefore required just to get it to the stage where I could then rip it apart! The model depicts the 1st vehicle of the Regimental HQ.

Very clever!!

M.A.D

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »
Thank you.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
Sd.Kfz. 234/5 Mammut (Mammoth) Update

A minor advance on the build front but a major rethink on where it is going and a good example of where sometimes a great idea in 2D doesn't match expectations in 3D.

My original idea was to have the sides of the crew compartment of the Mammoth boxed in for extra vehicular storage.  However, when it came to doing the business it just didn't feel right and made the vehicle look too much like an 8-wheeled shoe box and had entirely lost the feel of either the Sd.Kfz. 234 or the Sd.Kfz 251. 

So, in homage to both contributory vehicles, I am going to go with my original design layout which emphasises both the characteristic angular fenders of the Sd.Kfz. 234 and the angled sides of the Sd.Kfz. 251.  The end result will also give me a good surface for mounting the various pioneer tools, jacks and ubiquitous jerrycans.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 04:30:46 AM by Claymore »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2016, 12:47:21 AM »
Ooh, was that Mammoth based on anything in particular? It reminds me quiet a bit of the wheeled APCs seen in the game Turning Point: Fall of Liberty (sadly that game's so obscure you can only find videos, no pictures, and its been pulled from Steam), but I suppose strap some wheels onto a Sdk.fz 251 and they all look similar.

Loving your ideas anyhow. I've been stealing a few and converting them to 1/56th to go along with my own alt-history Germans. I already have a Puma waiting. :D

Offline Claymore

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2016, 03:53:42 AM »
Glad you like the collection.  The Mammoth is entirely from my own deranged mind and any resemblance to anything from any game is entirely co-incidental.

Feel free to help yourself to the designs if they help... Just remember to give me a nod when you make your millions!  ;)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2016, 02:48:38 AM »
I'm making my own mammoth right now (bar giving it a roof and a Sd.Kfz 222 turret). Though whilst doing that I'm wondering. Did you swap the 234's engine to the opposite side of the chassis?

Offline Claymore

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2016, 04:23:04 AM »
I'm making my own mammoth right now (bar giving it a roof and a Sd.Kfz 222 turret). Though whilst doing that I'm wondering. Did you swap the 234's engine to the opposite side of the chassis?

Good for you, I look forward to the end product.  I did indeed swap the engine round to make it front mounted; thus helping to keep the Mammoth's Sd.Kfz. 234's heritage.  :)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »

All spruced up in her undercoat. 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 04:31:32 AM by Claymore »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2016, 01:52:55 AM »
M3 Stonewall FSV Update

The M3 Jackson Multiple Gun Motor Carriage was introduced alongside the M3 Lee in order to provide close support to the Armoured Infantry Regiments of the US Army’s Armoured Divisions heading for North Africa.  Like the Lee and Grant before it, the Jackson was named after a great fighting General but, unlike its stable mates, the name didn’t stick much beyond its initial deployment.  In US Army service, the Jackson was universally better known as the ‘Stonewall’.  Whilst never supplied in great numbers to Great Britain, the British Army was also quick to adopt the name ‘Stonewall’ and at the same time dropped the mouthful that was ‘Multiple Gun Motor Carriage’ in preference for the more functional descriptor of ‘Fire Support Vehicle.’  It wasn’t long before the name M3 Stonewall Fire Support Vehicle became generally accepted across the Allied forces.

Whilst the commonality of the M3 hull would greatly ease maintenance and serviceability, the unusual gun arrangement brought with it its own unique problems.  With its crew of six (Commander, driver, 2 x gunners and 2 x loaders), the fighting compartment was a busy and cramped place.  With 2x 75mm guns to service and a potentially impressive rate of fire, ammunition storage was always going to be a problem and even with every spare corner packed there was never enough space.

It was also quickly realised that in the dry conditions found in North Africa the not inconsiderable dust cloud kicked up when both guns fired not only prevented effective sight of the fall of shot but also instantly gave away the firing position.  In practice, alternating firing of the guns proved to be more accurate and delivered a steadier rate of fire.  Although not intended as such, the Stonewall also proved to be a surprisingly good impromptu tank destroyer.

However, the Stonewall, like the Lee and Grant, was only ever meant to be a stopgap until a better vehicle was made available.  Indeed it was rather cruelly pointed out that the Stonewall had two of everything, two 75s, two gunners, two loaders and was too much trouble.  The 75mm HE round was just too small to provide the desired fire support and when the 105mm armed M7 Priest became available; it quickly replaced the Stonewall in the armoured formations.

Nevertheless, the Stonewall did not entirely disappear and provided useful service to the US Marine Corps and US Army fighting in the Pacific Theatre of Operations.  Although preferring the heavier 25pdr gun for its standard artillery fire support, the British Army saw potential in US Army’s anti-tank experiences and replaced the 75mm guns in most of their existing Stonewalls with 6pdrs in order to provide a more capable SPAT weapon system.  The resulting vehicle showed promise and had a degree of success in North Africa convincing the British Army to consider refining the Stonewall SPAT further by combining the gunners’ positions and sighting systems reducing the crew size to 5 and thus increasing the ammunition stowage.  However, in the end, the concept was never developed beyond the drawing board.

The model depicts the 3rd vehicle of F Company, 2nd Battalion, 13th Armoured Regiment of 1st Armoured Division in North Africa circa November 1942 and is made up from parts of a Tamiya M3 Lee Mk I, a Tamiya M3 Grant Mk I and the ubiquitous plastic card.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 04:25:51 AM by Claymore »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2016, 04:33:37 AM »
Outstanding!! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2016, 05:38:39 AM »
Outstanding!! :)

Thanks it was fun but a weathering nightmare...

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 07:55:10 AM »
👍 that is super cool!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Claymore

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »
Brilliantly finished & the back story is great! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 10:32:48 PM »
Brilliantly finished & the back story is great! :) :)

Many thanks.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 11:59:31 PM »
Wow is that sharp and the weathering is superb!

Love Old Glory on the front like that too.

Well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline Claymore

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2016, 03:03:15 AM »
Thanks mate.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2016, 03:37:57 AM »
Snowing outside! Definitely a day for staying warm inside and doing a bit of modelling... plastic and glue that is, not the catwalk stuff!!!!  :o ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2016, 12:58:26 AM »

Although belonging to the Luftwaffe, the Fallschirmjäger had always been regarded amongst the elite of Germany’s fighting soldiers.  None more so than the 1st Parachute Division who’s impressive and extensive combat history records it as the unit that was responsible for all of the early German airborne victories.

Given their elite status, the Fallschirmjäger benefitted from the very best of training and had access to the very best of equipment. That said, paratroopers, by definition and employment are, at best, little more than light infantry and whilst courage, endurance and fighting spirit are without doubt combat multipliers, a lack of heavy equipment has always been a tactical limitation. 

Whilst by the summer of 1944 the Fallschirmjäger had, for all intense and purposes, lost their airborne role, they still maintained their fighting spirit and elite status.  Wherever the fighting was hardest or at its most desperate, the ‘Green Devils’ could be found.  In recognition of their new earth-bound role, the Orbat of the Parachute Divisions was changed to closer reflect that of their line infantry cousins.

However, given the tendency for commanders to use the Fallschirmjäger to bolster the line wherever it was at its weakest, their lack of tactical mobility was a problem. Virtually all of the Army’s Sd. Kfz. 251/1 Hanomag halftracks went to the hard pressed Panzergrenadiers and whilst lorries were available, they were not tactically suited to the needs of the paratroopers. In the end, Hermann Göring himself intervened and so it was that Sd. Kfz. 234/5 Mammut (Mammoth) was born.

Built on the 8-wheeled hull of the Sd. Kfz. 234/1 Armoured Car, the Mammoth was, nevertheless, a somewhat more radical change in design over the other vehicles of the 234 family.  With the large 14,825cc, air-cooled Tatra 103 diesel engine mounted in the front, the rear troop compartment could comfortably accommodate a crew of 2 + 10.  Although the Mammoth’s off-road capability was slightly less than the Hanomag, its top speed of 80km/h more than made up when compared to the leisurely pace of the halftrack (52km/h).

Even with their bespoke carriers, there were never enough Mammoths in circulation for the Fallschirmjäger to be considered true armoured infantry. Indeed, it was the norm that the Division’s combat Regiments remained as light infantry but were supported by a mobility Regiment of Mammoth APCs. 

The model depicts the 3rd vehicle, 3rd platoon, 2nd company of the 1st Parachute Division’s mobility Regiment and is made out of an Italeri Sd. Kfz. 234/2 Puma, a Tamiya Sd. Kfz 251/1, some bits and pieces from the spares box and, of course, our good ol’ friend Mr Plastic Card.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 04:32:44 AM by Claymore »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2016, 07:55:21 AM »
Looks well ahead of its time!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »
Looks well ahead of its time!

Perhaps so but all of the components were readily available at the time. In fact, it is a little odd that given the German's considerable experience in 8-wheeled armoured cars that they didn't go down the wheeled APC route.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2016, 10:49:57 PM »
Top job, mate! :) :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2016, 12:18:30 AM »
Thank you kindly good Sir.  :))

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
Really like this. Top job

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2016, 07:46:35 PM »
You built an interesting machine there,I really like it...a lot  :-* !!!
Alex