Author Topic: Panzer II, Afrika Korps, real world build  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
Panzer II, Afrika Korps, real world build
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »
so im a bit stuck with the M60 cos ive given it an oil wash, i always like to give it at least a week to dry off before doing anything else to it

so thought id start something else to keep me occupied, was going to do a car but thought id do something else that will fit the little dio base im going to do for the M60

so heres an oldie.....according to Scalemates it originally came out in late '60s, got improved/repopped in 1971 which is the stamp that this carries in the hull, think its been in the catalogue ever since!! definatly gets tagged as a 'classic kit' i think

obviously not up to modern standards detail wise but im still impressed with the moulding, no flash etc, proves that if you invest in the tooling and you look after it, it will last a long time

plan is to do it as an Afrika Korps vehicle with the few figures that come with it, nothing special

ive done my usual trick of adding some mass to the hull and bonding in a nut so i can use some threaded rod as a handle, the weight will make it sit on the tracks a bit better. i usually use some big nuts but the hull is so small ive used something else......12 gauge lead balls, left overs from back in the day when i used to cast lead bullets of various calibres and reload my own ammo
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Panzer II, Afrika Korps, real world build
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »
Cool looking forward to this, Panzer II is a nice looking vehicle, can't wait to how yours turns out.

Offline Wulf

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »
well that went together rather quickly!!   :-[

6 hours after opening the box im at this point

I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:19:57 AM »
this kit was the first AFV model I built back in the early '70s :D - an oldie but definitely a goodie !  Still has the most accurate wheel shape of any Pz-II kit.
The kit was modelled after a vehicle captured in Africa & is now in the Bovington museum UK - the large bin on the RHS was added by the museum tho.

Extensive weathering the model can really make everything pop !

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »
Yep real old gold this one, but a neat model.

Offline Wulf

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 05:34:54 AM »
so sorting out the paint for the M60 was a pain.....doing it for a tiddler Panzer was easy.....its German so its RAL1027 lol lol

i had a go at preshading again but i used a darker brown as its a darker yellow than the sand colour on the M60....not sure how well it went but its going to get a brownish oil wash soon so it will get blended/highlighted anyway

its shiny cos its had a coat of Klear for the decals and to make it ready for the wash

not impressed with Tamiya instructions for the decals, a little confusing since its all in Japanese lol.......so ive had to use a little artistic license lol

Offline Wulf

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »
now the M60 is done its time to crack on with this

think i went a bit heavy handed with the oils, its had a coat of matt varnish so i cant go back and rework the oils so im going to live with it

next up is road wheels and tracks, and some figures

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »
Looking good! 

Still hard to believe how tiny those tanks are and people actually fit inside such a confined space. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 05:28:22 AM »
This tank was my second 1/35 build after getting back into the hobby. Like many Tamiya kits from that period, I remember it as a fairly painless, fun build.

Your tank is looking good. I wouldn't worry about the oils.

Offline Wulf

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 02:18:46 AM »
and finished
whole thing was done as a bit of a speed build.....something to keep me going for a while, now i need to get the bench cleared ready for the next project
added some cargo on the back....gave the whole thing a dust wash which went wrong......i had a bottle of the humbrol 'sand' pigment  so gave it a go..........wasnt impressed, the colour is far too yellow.....looked horrible in the pics once the flash got on it so i washed it off and redid it with MiG 'Gulf War Sand'
wanted to use the base that i did for the M60 since this is supposed to be 'in the desert', but since the Panzer II is a quarter of the size of the M60 it looked a bit lost , found a tent/figure set so used them just as something to fill it in.....if i hadnt been working to a tight schedule i might have tried covering the tent to give it some texture, and will do if it gets recycled at some point

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 03:13:58 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
Das ist gut, mein herr!

Nope, don't know any German, made that up ... Well, I do know metwurst, actually I love  metwurst. ;D

Looks pretty good, mate! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 07:20:21 AM »
You certainly nailed that famous desert mustard yellow! The weathering is absolutely masterful as well.

Sure looks every bit the business!

Brian da Basher