Author Topic: 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth  (Read 11793 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »
Here's a scratch built HMS Queen Elizabeth built by Davecov on 'The Airfix Tribute Forum'.  He built it on commission so that it would be displayed at the ship naming ceremony on Friday by the Queen.  He got it finished with a couple of days to spare.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=43333

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
Great scratch build that Dave has done, good lookin' beast and about time the RN got a full size carrier 8) Pity it doesn't have catapults and arrestor gear so it can operate a real airgroup.
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
Great scratch build that Dave has done, good lookin' beast and about time the RN got a full size carrier 8) Pity it doesn't have catapults and arrestor gear so it can operate a real airgroup.

What would you define as a "real airgroup"?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
That is a sweet model.  I hope there is a kit available soon.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »

I would hazard that an F-35B could eat a Skyhawk, or for that mater an F/A-18, for breakfast as well as being able to out bomb an A-7.  Replacing the ASW capability of a Tracker or Viking would be more problematic but then again even the USN no longer uses carrier based fixed wing ASW and relies instead on helos.  The only minus I can think of is in terms of AEW but Crowsnest should deliver a capability second only to the USNs Hawkeyes.  It could be argued that the F=35C offers some advantages over the B, such as max war load and range, however the sortie generation rate of the B from the QEs would negate those advantages in most scenarios. 

Come to think of it the FA.2 Sea Harrier and the AV-8B+ with their advanced radars and AMRAAMs operated in numbers from a Hermes sized carrier would have provided overmatch to the majority of land based air forces with the F-35B being a massive leap over that.  Imagine a RAN Modified Tarawa with a full length hanger for 50 helicopters and Harriers as mentioned in "Wings Across the Sea" as one of the options to replace Melbourne, operating Sea Harrier FA.2s and Sea Kings being upgraded to operate F-35B and Merlin (or Romeo and Sierra MH-60).

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:05:12 AM »
Use V-22s for COD and EV-22s for AEW?  The Admiralty and AEW has illustrations of a V-22 with a radome on the aft ramp much like that fitted to the Sea King AEW and Merlin AEW variants.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »
A real airgroup would consist of a balanced force of naval CTOL/VTOL (fixed and rotary wing) aircraft able to carry out all the functions required of it, blurred a bit now by the superb V-22 Osprey especially if a dedicated AEW/ECM/Surveilance version was available.
 The helicopter mounted Crowsnest system is good but not good enough, not enough altitude nor duration on station The airgroup would not have any version of the current day Douglas Devestator, the F-35. Yes the F-35 would absolutely eat an A-4, F-18, A-7 and A-6 etc,
but that's not the point. The F-35 does not have the range, payload nor the power to do the job adequately in the face of current and future projected threats,
in fact as most articles I've read have stated that it has all the power and technology in the world to get into combat and even hyper accurately kill a target on the ground, but it doesn't have the power to get out of combat when it is intercepted, no power to dogfight
 (as said by some commentators ".......a well flown Mig-21 could kill it") and it doesn't have the power to run away, "basically a clay pigeon" as one wag put it, hence the Devestator moniker that I hear being used. That's what you get when politics starts driving engineering
 (see Robert MacNamara and the F-111A/F-111B debacle), a lot of misspent billions and unfortunately in the case of the F-35, dead pilots especially when it comes up against ...... say ..... the best fighter on the planet the Su-35 and the next generation Sukhoi PKA-50.
I'm just against having political wheeling and dealing foisting a substandard product on the western world and the spin doctors trying to convince us how great it is.
End rant.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »
A real airgroup would consist of a balanced force of naval CTOL/VTOL (fixed and rotary wing) aircraft able to carry out all the functions required of it, blurred a bit now by the superb V-22 Osprey especially if a dedicated AEW/ECM/Surveilance version was available.
 The helicopter mounted Crowsnest system is good but not good enough, not enough altitude nor duration on station The airgroup would not have any version of the current day Douglas Devestator, the F-35. Yes the F-35 would absolutely eat an A-4, F-18, A-7 and A-6 etc,
but that's not the point. The F-35 does not have the range, payload nor the power to do the job adequately in the face of current and future projected threats,
in fact as most articles I've read have stated that it has all the power and technology in the world to get into combat and even hyper accurately kill a target on the ground, but it doesn't have the power to get out of combat when it is intercepted, no power to dogfight
 (as said by some commentators ".......a well flown Mig-21 could kill it") and it doesn't have the power to run away, "basically a clay pigeon" as one wag put it, hence the Devestator moniker that I hear being used. That's what you get when politics starts driving engineering
 (see Robert MacNamara and the F-111A/F-111B debacle), a lot of misspent billions and unfortunately in the case of the F-35, dead pilots especially when it comes up against ...... say ..... the best fighter on the planet the Su-35 and the next generation Sukhoi PKA-50.
I'm just against having political wheeling and dealing foisting a substandard product on the western world and the spin doctors trying to convince us how great it is.
End rant.

SU-35 the best fighter in the world?

F-35 can be shot down by a MIG 21?  Mmmm.... I would seriously doubt a MIG 21 of any version would survive for long against a teen series fighter of their Euro equivalents so how on earth to these over rated conspiracy theory nut jobs think a MIG 21 would have a hope in hades against an aircraft designed to replace the teen series fighters?

In a nut shell, climate change isn't real, cigarettes don't cause cancer, evolution is a con and the world is flat.  The so called experts criticizing the F-35 fit nicely in the same box as the oxygen thieves who believe the other rubbish I just listed, the F-35 is the next generation US combat aircraft and with every new generation it is better then what preceded it, simple as that.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
Let's not get into the F-35 debate here, guys - that's what this thread's for! http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=349.0

Neil, remember certain well piloted Australian A-4's that gave the "ultimate dogfighter" (F-16) a run for its money during K82 (iirc) ?

Hell, a well flown SLUF could probably take down an averagely flown Su-35, too.

(No, I'm not an F-35 groupie.)

;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
Fair call, I love cats and traps too but a ski jump and big enough flat deck is just so much more affordable.

Personally waiting for a 1/700 QE to be released.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »
I wonder if you could combine a catapult & a ski-jump for improved STOVL operations? ???

I, also, wonder how the V-22 would take to that system? Especially appropriately modified ASW & AEW variants?
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »
Yes Wombat, I remember how our CO handed the 'wolfpack's CO his head ..... twice 8)

Just admire Ratch's QE build in the original link posted by kitnut, 1/600, 1/700, a kit either scale will be welcomed with opened arms!!! :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:32:06 AM »
Good series of pics for HMS Queen Elizabeth here

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 02:35:07 AM »
A real airgroup would consist of a balanced force of naval CTOL/VTOL (fixed and rotary wing) aircraft able to carry out all the functions required of it...

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

LOL RN hasn't operated "real airgroup" in decades then.  :-\

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 01:57:32 PM »
Great pics GTX!! She's huge!!

Offline gogs007

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
Amazing model, I hope airfix release it

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:53 PM »
Thank you for your kind comments about my model.  :)

Airfix issued a press release about their visit to HMS Queen Elizabeth on Wednesday, 3rd September. They were handing over the model to HMS Queen Elizabeth. You can see the press release at: http://www.airfix.com/news/airfix-visits-the-hms-queen-elizabeth/

It was a particularly memorable occasion for me (apart from the dodgy overalls):

If anybody is interested, I can post a few more pictures I took on the day.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:37:54 AM by davecov »
DaveCov - Creator of The Airfix Tribute Forum.

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dali

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 04:06:12 AM »
Please do post more.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:59 AM »
Here you go!!

Here is the presentation of the model:
LtoR: Warrant Officer Nicolas Covey, Alf Ramsey (Babcock - helped me with the plans for the build), Darrell Burge (Airfix), Dave Coventry (Me), Colin Fisher (Hornby), Andy McCue (Scoonie Models), Lieutenant Commander H E "Monty" Montgomery.

After the briefing, it was off to the ship dressed in appropriate gear - hard hat, goggles, overalls and big boots!

As well as outside the ship, we were shown around the hangar (below), forward bridge, ops room, weapon loading bays, sick bay, galley, dining hall and a lot of passageways and ladders!

After the tour, Darrell and I were introduced to Captain Simon Petitt, Commanding Officer of HMS Queen Elizabeth. He asked me how accurate the model was and I just said it is for others to judge!

A brilliant occasion which will remain in my memory for a long, long time.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:12:21 AM by davecov »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:19 AM »
So when can we expect our copies?

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 09:04:08 AM »
So will the model be on the ship once she's commissioned?
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »
An amazing day Dave, thank you for sharing your pics, congrats and well done! :D :D

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 04:36:39 PM »
An amazing day Dave, thank you for sharing your pics, congrats and well done! :D :D
Thanks!

So will the model be on the ship once she's commissioned?
The model is having a display case made for it and it will go onboard the ship when the ship nears completion and is expected to remain onboard permanently. It will be displayed in an area of the ship which will be accessible by all the crew and visitors. This area will also have memorabilia from the battleship HMS Queen Elizabeth on display as well.

Dave

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »
VERY NICE!!!!!!  Glad to see this work of art will be enshrined where it belongs  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Online LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 03:07:59 AM »
Very cool.  And job well done on the model!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 05:40:43 AM »
This really made my day! The 1/350 version is truly a wonder!

Brian da Basher