Author Topic: North American YP-57B Twin-Jet Mustang  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
North American YP-57B Twin-Jet Mustang
« on: June 25, 2014, 08:47:55 AM »
In early 1943, the British MI-5 accomplished an amazing coup when Major Chauncey Wigbotham managed to successfully acquire the plans for both major German jet engine development programs (BMW 003 and Junkers Jumo 004), both without arousing suspicion.  The plans were shared with the American government, who assigned them to the NACA research center at Langley.  By the mid-summer of 1943, a crash program had resulted in a running engine, producing better results even than the Germans had due to use of higher quality metals (although the Americans did not know that).   The production engine was entrusted to General Electric (maker of most US turbochargers - a similar technology).  Simultaneously, North American Aviation was tasked with adopting the P-51 Mustang to jet power.  NAA was assigned the designation P-57 as a deception measure (being a re-use of that designation from the failed Tucker pursuit program).
NAA proposed two different solutions: the YP-57A was a single-jet version of the Mustang, later renamed P-57A Stallion.  See here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4487.0

The second NAA solution was designated YP-57B and was very different, mounting two Jumo 004 copy engines under the wings with a redesigned nose.  The nose of the P-57B carried four 20 mm Hispano M-2 cannon.

The Model: you will not be surprised to learn that I used another Airfix P-51D along with the engines of a HobbyBoss Me 262, all in 1/72 scale.  The nose is scratch built from sheet styrene and putty (lotsa putty).  If I were to do it again, I would try the nose of a P-80 (that's what it came out looking like anyway).

Hope you like it.

Chuck
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:03:37 AM by Acree »

Offline arc

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: North American YP-57B Twin-Jet Mustang
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:19:27 PM »
inspirational is sick sort of way..
extremely creative though.  :icon_fsm:

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:47:44 PM »
VERY beautiful, thanks a lot!!! :-* :-* :-*

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 03:02:37 AM »
The nose looks like it really packs a punch!

Nice one!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
Your one  :-* is enriching my page about twin-jet Mustangs, thanks again!

(My "Virtual Mustangs" book can be downloaded for free at
http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/Free_EoFG_MV.htm)