Author Topic: MBB Bo 105  (Read 852 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
MBB Bo 105
« on: April 14, 2023, 12:46:41 PM »
Scanned off a recently-bought book on ROC Army Aviation history.

The Bo 105 competed against the Bell 206L Texas Ranger and 500MD Defender for ROCA attack helicopter procurement programme in the early 1980s after it was deemed too cost-inefficient to install TOW missile onto the UH-1H (it would have had to be trialed all over again since the last variant to carry it was the shorter UH-1B).  All three are considered comparable in flight performance, but the Bo 105 was considered the best as it not only could carry eight TOW missiles (whereas the other two candidates could carry four each) but also by that time had an underfuselage 20mm cannon mount developed for it.

The ROCA planned to buy 44 Bo 105s but changed their minds after the ROC was cleared to purchase the AH-1 from the US in 1985.  In addition to being an optimized gunship helicopter, the AH-1 also wouldn't suffer as much of political baggage as an European counterpart prior to 1989.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: MBB Bo 105
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 12:36:50 AM »
I always liked these especially in the German PAH-1 scheme with 6 HOT missiles:

I find this one amusing:

It's a pity Germany retired them in 2016 and thus is unable to supply to Ukraine.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 08:58:50 AM »
The Bo makes a great start for sci-fi vehicles ...

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 12:45:27 AM »
I’ve got the same thing in 1/72 just like the middle picture. Many times I’ve thought about how to convert it into the firefly vehicle. Just haven’t got to it yet.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 01:06:43 PM »
My immediate thought would be to develop a fully navalized variant that could be a direct competitior to the Westland Lynx.

I know some navies have used the Bo 105, but the skids have always been kept.

Maybe rework it to have a wheeled landing gear for easier handling on ships and make it compatible with the "bear trap" type helicopter landing aparatus on smaller ships.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 02:32:39 AM »
I like your thinking
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.