Author Topic: Aero Trainers: Delfin, Albatros, ...  (Read 4556 times)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
Aero Trainers: Delfin, Albatros, ...
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
Delfin fighters

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
Re: Aero Trainers: Delfin, Albatros, ...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:31:29 PM »
Interesting selection. The second from the top has a very "McDonnell" look to to it. Sort of an offshoot of the original Phantom jet.

They did actually make a couple of single seat Delfins, but they weren't the bubble top type.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:31 AM »
Nice.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 07:18:40 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:59:00 AM »
Different.  I like the first one.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:33:44 AM »
Speaking of modern training aircraft, the RNZAF has new aircraft (yep, you're reading that right):

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
Pfft. A private comany a couple hours south of me got the better end of that deal.

Keeping on that theme, though, guess who just bought a couple dozen L-159s? Yep, the same people who bought the RNZAF.

Draken International is quietly assembling the largest non-militarized fleet of jet fighters in the world - Orlando Sentinel
Scott Maxwell

Unbeknownst to many, an entire fleet of military aircraft is being quietly assembled just up Interstate 4.

We're talking MiG-21s, A-4K Skyhawks, MB-339s and more.

This isn't a museum. It's a growing fleet of more than 70 fighter jets, capable of taking to the skies at a moment's notice.

Its owners say they have amassed the largest collection of privately owned military tactical jets in the world.

The fleet is larger than those operated by some small countries. In fact, in 2012, the company actually bought much of the fleet of one small country: New Zealand.

The company is called Draken International in Lakeland. And it is on the cutting edge of a growing trend in the U.S. military: outsourcing the enemy.

You see, for generations, the military has run training drills against itself. American fighter jets pretended to attack U.S. ships, ground troops and other jets, so that our forces could be prepared.

But now the Navy can hire a company such as Draken to play the bad guys.

Draken uses cheaper planes than the ones our military fly.

"It's a waste to have two F-22s running drills against each other," said Jerry Kerby, vice president of operations for Draken. "We simulate what the bad guys do. Only we do it for a whole lot cheaper."

"Cheaper" is relative.

These military contracts can be worth tens of millions of dollars. The big one Draken is currently vying for with the U.S. Navy calls for thousands of flight hours — with each hour earning the company somewhere in the neighborhood of $5,000 or $6,000, based on past deals.

If $6,000 an hour sounds like a lot, it is. Yet when the military uses its cutting-edge planes for these drills, it can cost taxpayers more than $40,000 an hour.

Now, you're starting to get an idea of why one out of every five tax dollars you pay goes to defense.

Draken is relatively new to what's known as the "commercial air services" industry. But it has come on gangbusters, saying its fleet of 78 jets is the largest. The company is winning gigs and determined to become the industry's new go-to operation.

It's all run out of a 120,000-square-foot hangar on the southern side of Lakeland Linder Regional Airport.

Planes are parked throughout the cavernous building. Some are ready to fly. Some are disassembled. All are surrounded by thousands of cartons of spare parts — everything from extra brakes to ejection seats.

On the morning I was there last week, a small army of maintenance experts worked throughout the open-air facility.

Most of the company's employees are ex-military. All of the pilots are. Kerby, for instance, is a retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Air Force.

Draken's increasing work force and spending has caught the attention of Gov. Rick Scott, who touted the company's recent plans to expand its work force to more than 50 employees.

The acquisitions are fascinating in their own rights. After all, not just anybody can waltz into the Czech Republic and buy a dozen subsonic L-159s (a deal consummated earlier this month).

The U.S. State Department has to approve the deals. So does the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

So far, Draken has just had short-term contracts. For instance, the company ran drills off the coast of California to test defense systems of a Navy warship.

What kind of ship? Kerby doesn't even know — and he ran the mission. That's because contracted companies don't always get the full picture. Instead, they receive specific directions (start out 25,000 feet; drop to 5,000 feet when you're 10 miles out; then peel off when told).

Kerby presumes they were testing the ship's defense systems. But his job isn't to ask questions or tell tales. It's simply to follow orders — and do so as cheaply as possible.

"The results of what we do are generally never known to us," Kerby said. "And that's OK. Our job is to do what we're asked and always be ready."

Also see:

Lakeland fighter-jet company seeks state funds for expansion - The Tampa Tribune

Aero Finally Shifts Surplus L-159 Jets - Aviation International News

Draken International Expands its Fleet with the Purchase of 28 L-159 ALCAs - Draken Internation Press Release

Cheers,

Logan

Offline upnorth

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
The purchase of those L-159s is great news here in the Czech Republic. The Czech military has been trying to shift their surplus of the type for years.

I really hope that Draken International can sell some of them to central and South American buyers. The WHIFF potential is enormous and it might be what AZ Models needs to pull their finger out and release their much delayed 1/72 L-159 kits onto the market.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
Something I just stumbled across:

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 04:58:42 AM »
Suite Aero

Offline upnorth

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 03:59:22 PM »
Being as how the L-39NG is a reality, with both Hungary and Vietnam on as confirmed buyers, I wonder where that could go in our Whiffing world: