Modelling > Group and Themed Builds

Scottish Armed Forces GB

<< < (2/10) > >>

kitnut617:

--- Quote from: Dr. YoKai on April 15, 2013, 04:46:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: kitnut617 on April 15, 2013, 04:20:24 AM ---I can't see an independant Scotland being any better off than Ireland, which would mean something along the same lines for it's Armed Forces.

--- End quote ---

I expect most of you fellows are better informed on the subject than I, but doesn't Scotland have a substantial amount of
North Sea Oil revenue to draw on?

--- End quote ---

Well!  as we know here in Alberta, you can't rely on that.  Slightest hiccup in the economy and the energy companies shut everything down real quick.  But my bro-in-law is a Scot, but lives and works in the Liverpool area, he tells me that unemployment is at the highest it's been for a number of years, effecting Scotland more so.  I can't see that just the energy sector alone actually being able to support all or any of an economy --

Weaver:
North Sea oil is a declining asset, and the proportion of the revenue that an independent Scotland would "inherit" is as yet undecided.

AGRA:
If you want a reason to boost a Scottish Defence Force from token Irish style force to Fighting Scots glory just have them embrace private military contracting at a state level. In order to boost their economy and cut unemployment the Scots could offer their armed forces for UN missions and state to state contracts. Including a fleet of combat boats and corvettes built and manned by the fishing communities restrained by EU environmental quotas. The European Gurkhas.

deathjester:
April's Air Forces Monthly has a good section on this issue.  The consensus is that the Hawk would be the best bet for a Scottish Air Force, with Britain paying to keep open a base in Scotland running a distinct second!

Weaver:
Quick'n'dirty: Scottish F-16:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version