Author Topic: TASSM AGM-137  (Read 5325 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
TASSM AGM-137
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »
Questions:  Which way is up?   Vertical fin up or vertical fin down?    Were the wings folded while on its mount/rail?    Could the warhead be varied?

Thanks!  :)
kwyxdxLg5T

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: TASSM AGM-137
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
Evan....
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
Vertical fin folds into the down position from the stowed position as the horizontal fins unfold from stowed position.  The wings are folded and under a cover when stowed, said cover fitting onto the exhaust cover.  There's also a coverplate on the bottom over the inlet that's jettisoned on launch ('twas a headache I took over later in the program).  There were multiple payloads available, both dispensed munitions and a unitary warhead.  There was also an option for a l-o sensor window in the front for man-in-the-loop terminal guidance.  Even without that, the first full-up guided launch hit the "10-ring".

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:02:45 AM »
Wikipedia - AGM-137 TSSAM

Desktop model of the AGM-137 TSSAM

*sigh* Where's the AGM-137 TSSAM when you could use it?  'Twas an all-aspects stealthy conventionally-armed cruise missile with excellent sensor fits.  It wouldn't be that difficult to scratchbuild (let me know if you need more info that is readily available online).

If Wikipedia's comments are to be trusted it would seem that it was the failure of the contractor.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:05:10 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 12:26:13 AM »
If Wikipedia's comments are to be trusted it would seem that it was the failure of the contractor.
Actually, I have to agree with regard to Northrop's upper management of that period and some of the upper program management.  One "lesson learned" was that you don't go with the lowest bidder, you go with the lowest qualified bidder (there is a demonstrable difference and it definitely delayed matters of development).  Another lesson was that you don't agree to technical changes without compensation changes in the contract ("sure, we can do that" without asking for budget can really hurt you).

For me, I think the most annoying event, other than the layoff when the program was cancelled, was the Army cancelling their version just as we were about to conduct a test launch to verify that we'd fixed the problems found in the previous, problem-plagued, launch.  The missile itself performed well, at least when built to spec (had one test fail at the very last second because a sub-sub-contractor messed up) and would be most useful today.

At the time of cancellation, there was a study under way to meet a longer-ranged RAF requirement that would've made for a slightly longer missile.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »
Actually, I have to agree with regard to Northrop's upper management of that period and some of the upper program management.  One "lesson learned" was that you don't go with the lowest bidder, you go with the lowest qualified bidder (there is a demonstrable difference and it definitely delayed matters of development).  Another lesson was that you don't agree to technical changes without compensation changes in the contract ("sure, we can do that" without asking for budget can really hurt you).

For me, I think the most annoying event, other than the layoff when the program was cancelled, was the Army cancelling their version just as we were about to conduct a test launch to verify that we'd fixed the problems found in the previous, problem-plagued, launch.  The missile itself performed well, at least when built to spec (had one test fail at the very last second because a sub-sub-contractor messed up) and would be most useful today.

At the time of cancellation, there was a study under way to meet a longer-ranged RAF requirement that would've made for a slightly longer missile.

How many of the Army version of the TSSAM would fit in the MLRS?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 12:38:39 AM »
One box launcher for an Army-TSSAM would fit in place of a "six-pack" and would be visually identical until launch.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:24 AM »
One box launcher for an Army-TSSAM would fit in place of a "six-pack" and would be visually identical until launch.
I thought it would be so but it never hurts to ask. 

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 02:24:59 AM »
you don't go with the lowest bidder, you go with the lowest qualified bidder (there is a demonstrable difference and it definitely delayed matters of development).  Another lesson was that you don't agree to technical changes without compensation changes in the contract ("sure, we can do that" without asking for budget can really hurt you).

Agree definitely on both counts! 
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.