Author Topic: F3D/F-10 Skyknight  (Read 8731 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
F3D/F-10 Skyknight
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:30 AM »
That discussion about a boosted Active Skyflash at the Phoenix missile thread was brought up right about the same time when I was wondering if F3D Skyknight has potential for a weapon of that nature......

I'm wondering if variants other than the basic nightfighter version has provision for a fire control radar- does, say, the EF-10 electronic warfare version also retain its fire control radar or at least provision for it?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Re: F3D/F-10 Skyknight
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
There is also the swept wing proposal to consider.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »
The F3D-2M (MF-10B) carried four AIM-7 Sparrow, the guns were removed.

The F3D-2Q (EF-10B) retained its guns and related fire control radar, which was actually
a gun-aiming radar and would be of no use for missile control.

The proposed swept-wing F3D-3 was to have interchangeable mission noses.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline dy031101

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
That "present basic night fighter airplane" term...... is it a reference to the F3D-2 or the F3D-3?

==================================================

Was thinking of the possibility of an ELINT aircraft that can either defend itself or be employed as an interceptor in a pinch like the F-4G.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Jon, was there any problem with gun gas ingestion with the Skyknight ? (or even the F-89 come to think of it, same sort of intake arrangement)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:41 AM »
I wonder...ground attack variant?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 02:42:54 AM »
I wonder...ground attack variant?

Always though the straight wing version looked like a primitive A-6  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:18:28 AM »
That discussion about a boosted Active Skyflash at the Phoenix missile thread was brought up right about the same time when I was wondering if F3D Skyknight has potential for a weapon of that nature......

I'm wondering if variants other than the basic nightfighter version has provision for a fire control radar- does, say, the EF-10 electronic warfare version also retain its fire control radar or at least provision for it?
I'm thinking that a boosted Active Skyflash or boosted AMRAAM would work with a Skyknight but a boosted Phoenix is getting close to the Eagle carried by it's big brother, the F6D.

Too, weren't there some test birds with some interestingly different radomes?

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »
There might be some who remember the article in Fine Scale Modeler on one of Monogram's designers.  Most of the 1:48 scratchbuilds have now been tooled by the mainstream.  Does that mean hope for a Skyknight?
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline dy031101

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:40:58 AM »
I'm thinking that a boosted Active Skyflash or boosted AMRAAM would work with a Skyknight but a boosted Phoenix is getting close to the Eagle carried by it's big brother, the F6D.

Could a boosted Active Skyflash be cheaper than a Phoenix round?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »

Could a boosted Active Skyflash be cheaper than a Phoenix round?

Significantly.  If indigenous manufacture is undertaken under license, then foreign exchange is also saved.  The US was never willing to allow license manufacture of Phoenix whereas Europe would have been willing, more than likely to allow license manufacture of Skyflash or its derivatives. 

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »
Robert: no mention of indigestion problems in the Ginter monograph.  ;)

dy: the reference is to the F3D-3 proposals.

Ground attack was included in the F3D-3 proposals, both in the form of 5" underwing rockets
and 2.75" rocket pods, and guns, bombs and rockets in High Speed external stores.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline dy031101

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
I suppose all we would have needed for the F3D-3 to happen would be the J54 a.k.a. American Avon turbojet......

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
I suppose all we would have needed for the F3D-3 to happen would be the J54 a.k.a. American Avon turbojet......
Or the americanized Sapphire, the J65 which saw rather more service in the US.

regarding Active Skyflash or AMRAAM, both finally do what the Sparrow II attempted back in the 1950's and didn't do, fit an active radar into a Sparrow-sized airframe.  It only took two decades of intense progress in electronics to finally get there.  I could definitely see those, or boosted versions thereof, being used by several countries upgrading their F3Ds.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
Or the americanized Sapphire, the J65 which saw rather more service in the US.

If the J65 could have succeeded where the J46 failed for the Cutlass as well as the swept-wing Skyknight......

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
Ah, but I don't know if Vought ever tried it.  By the time it was available, they were already moving beyond the Cutlass.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
F3D-3 profile is saying "please kitbash me into a model."

Offline dy031101

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
By the time it was available, they were already moving beyond the Cutlass.

By "it", do you mean J54 or J65 (...... or both)?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
By the time it was available, they were already moving beyond the Cutlass.

By "it", do you mean J54 or J65 (...... or both)?
Well, both.   ISTR that neither was available until the early fifties, by which time the USN had moved beyond the Cutlass.

OTOH, either would do most excellently for a F3D upgrade.  J65 was already being used in a Douglas product (Skyhawk), so I could see it getting the nod.