Author Topic: Universal Carrier (All Variations)  (Read 30057 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Universal Carrier (All Variations)
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
A spot for discussion of all variations on the Universal Carrier. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found an interesting BeutePanzer based on the Bren Carrier captured by the Germans that was previously operated by the French armed with a 25mm anti-tank gun at this link: Bren Gun Carrier On Steroids

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference page links: Wikipedia - Universal Carrier
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Mark Aldrich

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Universal Carrier (All Variations)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:58 AM »
Would really love to see a styrene Lloyd Carrier made!  The Accurate Armour is just so expensive!
Cry Havoc...and let slip the Dogs Of War!

TreadHead is NOT an ugly word!

Offline Caveman

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:40:51 AM »
TOW missile or recoiless rifle (120mm BAT or M40 106mm RR) in post war service? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
That first one is similar to something I have in mind.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
Carrier with bulldozer blade for "light" earth moving and small obstacle removal operations.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 06:03:13 AM »
been dying to build this .... would have been devastating to German infantry in southern England's hedgerows come the invasion ....

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »
been dying to build this .... would have been devastating to German infantry in southern England's hedgerows come the invasion ....

Might also work very well as an AOP for the FOO.

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
Carrier with bulldozer blade for "light" earth moving and small obstacle removal operations.
What, kinda like an airmobile Bulldozer?  Sounds good.  Could one of those carriers have been a slung load under a Belvedere, or caried in any post war RAF transports?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »
What, kinda like an airmobile Bulldozer?  Sounds good.  Could one of those carriers have been a slung load under a Belvedere, or caried in any post war RAF transports?

Wikipedia provides the following data:
Weight:  3.75t(3402 kg)                       
Length: 144.0" (3.65 m) x Width: 81.0" (2.06 m) x Height: 62.0" (1.57 m)

Anything with a load capacity of 8000 pounds/4 tons should be able to sling load it and any aircraft with internal dimensions sufficient to handle something that was 144.0" long by 81.0" wide by 62.0" in height should work. 

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »
I have often wondered how big a gun you could fit in a Hezter or Stug type superstructure based on a universal carrier, would a 57mm be possible?  The other thought is a front engined, covered APC variant with a rear ramp.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »

Alecto dozer would have been more useful, I suspect.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
I have often wondered how big a gun you could fit in a Hezter or Stug type superstructure based on a universal carrier, would a 57mm be possible?  The other thought is a front engined, covered APC variant with a rear ramp.

You might want to look at the Universal Carrier's big brother, the T16 for that.

The Carrier, Mortar, 3in, Aus.pattern, with its engine moved forward and a turntable on the rear for the mortar it carried was a very useful modification to the basic Universal Carrier concept but unfortunately wasn't built in any large numbers.

Now, a T16 carrier, with its engine moved forward like the Mortar Carrier and with a crew compartment in the rear, would have been a very useful vehicle IMHO.   With a taller hull, with some overhead protection and a rear door/ramp, it would have made a passable APC although the inability of all the carriers to carry much armour would have prevented it being very useful.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »
 :D

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:46 AM »
 :icon_surprised:

the Russians built their own Gaz half-tracks using captured & copied German maulitier "Bren" track-work too.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 02:00:54 AM »
trench-jumping Bren-carrier ...... before & after shots  ;D ;D

Canadian trial to increase load-carrying.

Malay improv.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 02:33:25 AM »
Okay, the rocket-Bren clearly didn't work.  However, it suggests that one modified to carry and launch heavy assault rockets (say, the same size as those lifting rocket motors) might work for assault purposes.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 03:00:57 AM »
This one is at The Military Museum in Calgary

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
Now, a T16 carrier, with its engine moved forward like the Mortar Carrier and with a crew compartment in the rear, would have been a very useful vehicle IMHO.   With a taller hull, with some overhead protection and a rear door/ramp, it would have made a passable APC although the inability of all the carriers to carry much armour would have prevented it being very useful.

Interesting to see the Carrier, Mortar, 3in, Aus.pattern. Seemingly more useful than the Cdn and British dismount  mortar carriers. A shame that they weren't built in greater numbers -- was that because MetGas was too busy building standard Carriers?

Another candidate for your front-engined idea is the the Windsor Carrier, a Canadian Ford equivalent to the US-built T16 but with a lengthened hull (and corresponding increase in the gap between roadwheel pairs).

The 1944 Oxford Mk.I (Carrier, Tracked, CT20) and postwar Cambridge (Carrier, Tracked, FV401) had front sprockets.  Anyone know where their engines were placed?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
Rear.  Passengers dismounted over the side.  This picture of a model of an Oxford shows it, Cambridge was I believe the same.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
The Lloydgun one is interesting.  What gun size?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
The Lloydgun one is interesting.  What gun size?

IIRC 6 Pdr.  What was most interesting about it I think, is that the Lloyd carrier was unarmoured.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
I looked it up:  90mm gun

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
I looked it up:  90mm gun

Interesting, so assuming you could fit an appropriate engine an angled, armoured superstructure and a 77mm HV gun would not have been out of the question, sort of a mini Hezter or E10.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 01:18:24 AM »
Hmmm...I like your thinking.  77mm tank hunter.