Author Topic: SdKfz350/3 Zerstorer 3cm M.K.103 Zwilling what-if built by Brent Watterson  (Read 9318 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
WIP images of Brent Watterson's what-if SdKfz350/3 Zerstorer 3cm M.K.103 Zwilling.

Click on image or html to view additional images of Brent's work in progress. 

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Boy, I love the look of this.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
That is one smart looking track!  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Looks like Ostketten to my eye.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
Boy, I love the look of this.

Cheers,

Logan
Agreed! Very nice.
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
That looks sweet. The tracks look more Pantherish to me. :)
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
as indicated on the linked page that's a 1/35th version of his own 20mm wargaming model -- He's done several other equally good "whif" (mild=realistic) conversions in that scale that I'd like to see in 35th too ! :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Now I am wanting me some of those Mk103 barrels with the nifty flash suppressor/muzzle brakes. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer

I think you're right.  It was just an assumption on my part.  When you've got wide tracks on a III/IV, I think Ostketten.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
I just love it!  :-*
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Me too ... but my evil JMN doppelgänger can't help but wonder how the drivetrain is arranged  ???
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Me too ... but my evil JMN doppelgänger can't help but wonder how the drivetrain is arranged  ???

That thought had passed my mind as well.  My understanding of the Kugelblitz turret was that it was essentially a ball, which means there isn't much room under it for the engine, where its situated.  The grill on the side is from a mid-engined SP gun, such as a Hummel or a Hornisse but the hatches on the roof sort of preclude the engine being there.   Speaking of those extra hatches, what are they there for?  You have the driver and co-driver in the hull front and they have their own hatches already in their section of the hull roof.  You have the commander and two loaders IIRC in the turret.  So who are the extra hatches for?

Apart from that, its a nice looking vehicle.  The Ostketten track is well done particularly and "hangs" well.   The addition of the IR scope for the driver is also nicely represented.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
^ By the builder himself, from the link Jeffry provided:

Thanks for the comments, they all make sense especially about the "commanders" hatch. It's really meant to be just an overhead engine access hatch and would have been much better flat. I only had three 1/35th kits to supply bits so I had to work with what I had available. I'll try and model the next one a bit better .....

cheers

Brent

Thnx for the interest and thoughts guys. I've been asked to make another one so there's a chance to do a few things slightly differently, I tend to build like this hands on rather than to a plan and so the first one is like a bit like a real life prototype. Plus the overal idea/concept was that its a bit of a field fitted conversion kit (as in rear area rebuild) so each vehicle might have a few differences and eccentricities.

A good idea will be to add armoured decking to the top of the hull in front of the turret for engine maintenance access. My design for a SPW has it but the FSV doesn't, which was based on the models I had to hand in 72nd. Without thinking about it, I copied the small concept model. This will deal with the hatch and the ventalator which were a lash up to be honest.

I'd probably also add the complete front plate from the donor PzIV Kugelblitz kit instead of just a kugelblend mg mount. It fits with the uparmouring and would add consistancy to the front face.

The turret is deliberatly spaced high though. The idea is to give it enough hieght over the hull to allow the weapons some depression when engaging ground targets.

Anyway thnx to all for the positive comments ....... hello.gif
Brent

Also, check out Brent's website (LINK) for a lot more in-progress pics. Good stuff! :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 01:40:32 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Looks like he added the link to his blog after I posted this.  Some really inspiring work in progress on his blog pages.  I am especially envious that he is working on an idea for a modified Sdkfz 234 series.  His ideas are even more refined than my own on what to do with that vehicle. 

That remote weapons station he fabricated also looks quite enticingj. 

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Have you sent him an invite to the forum?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Have you sent him an invite to the forum?

Yes as a matter of fact, I did.  Have not heard back from him and he has yet to present himself here so I have no idea if he will join us or ignore us.  Perhaps others can send him an eMail inviting him to join us.  Never hurts to let him know that there are others that appreciate his work just as much as I did and cared enough to send an invitation to let him know.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:25:15 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!

I think you're right.  It was just an assumption on my part.  When you've got wide tracks on a III/IV, I think Ostketten.

Cheers,

Logan

Hey guys, the tracks are ...... Ostketten, metal workables from Spade Ace Models out of China. I'll probably use them again for any other 35th Hummel varients I try, as the wider track definately looks good and almost halves the ground pressure so its good from a real-world protoype standpoint too. Theres a few more build piccies on my blog ....

cheers
Brent

A couple of bonus pics of recent progress ......

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Absolutely outstanding!!!  Great to have you join us Brent.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Great paint work ... this vehicle really has been through the wars! Nice job on the camo parka as well  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
 :). With enthusiasm.
kwyxdxLg5T