Author Topic: Modern Barbary Pirates  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Modern Barbary Pirates
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
At the end of the Second World War, the Allies declined to occupy the nation of Tripolitania, and the country gradually descended into chaos.  Taking their cue for the Barbary pirates of the 18th Century, bands of pirates began to coalesce along the Tripolitan coast.  These bands tended to favor seaborne aircraft over ships or boats, and illustrated below is one of them, the Cant Z.508 (built under license by Barbary Aircraft as the Ba 200).  Three profiles below: top, a straight-up side view of the Ba 200 in pirate trim; middle, a diagram with major features labelled; bottom, the Pirate Ba 200 rigged for sail and surface combat.  The pirates often landed nearby unsuspecting surface ships at night and hoisted sail to make a silent approach to attack by boarding, or using the three German-made Pak 38 anti-tank guns in a broadside attack.  Boarding was done using the two 20' jon boats carried, or over the nose-mounted retractable boarding ramp. 

Arrgh! An' here be the bonny ship of the 1940s Barbary pirates - the scurviest, vilest, seadogs e'er to sail the seas 'n' slip the surly bonds o' the east Atlantic!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:09:00 PM by Acree »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Modern Barbary Pirates
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
Yarrr! Now that be a fittin' flyin' boat for a pirate, matey!

Brian da Basher

Offline tigercat

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
Argghh and there I be thinking they gonna be people who be  overcharging for a haircut

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 02:51:55 AM »
Arrrr!!!  I be liken' what I be see'in here 'bouts...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.