Author Topic: S-3 Viking  (Read 45557 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: S-3 Viking
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
If I recall correctly the S3 was actually used in its conventional bombing role during Desert Storm.  Look as I may I can only find reference of the 2003 Maverick strikes on Basra but I'm sure there was a Mk-82 (or maybe Mk-84) attack at in 1991 as well. 

I could be mistaken.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »
If I recall correctly the S3 was actually used in its conventional bombing role during Desert Storm.  Look as I may I can only find reference of the 2003 Maverick strikes on Basra but I'm sure there was a Mk-82 (or maybe Mk-84) attack at in 1991 as well. 

I could be mistaken.

Interesting, hmmm,,,  like to hear straight scoop on that.
Also seen picture of WW2 Avengers doing conventional level bombing.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2015, 03:08:25 AM »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that S-3 Vikings of VS-21, flying from USS Enterprise, dropped some Rockeye cluster bombs on Iranian shipping during Operation Praying Mantis in 1988.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2016, 06:01:43 AM »
Mmmmm....fuel:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »
Glad to hear it. I always thought the S-3 was an under-appreciated, under-utilized platform.

Cheers,

Logan

I'm with you on that. I sure hope some other capability has taken its place.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Following recent reports that the USN is downgrading their UCLAS requirement in favour of an unmanned tanker, made urgent by the ware and tear on the SH fleet through being used as tankers, its even more clear the retirement of the Viking was premature.  Who would have thought, using expensive modern strike aircraft as tankers uses up their hours much quicker as well as making them unavailable for strike missions.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »
I read an article quite some time ago suggesting the Navy deploy its own land based tankers in areas like the Med and the Persian gulf. It would be much more efficient and leave deck space for more combat AC or allow AC like the S-3 and A-6 to do their primary job instead of hauling fuel. I'm sure interservice bickering hit the roof. IIRC the article suggested using surplus Convair 880s.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2016, 03:26:31 AM »
I read an article quite some time ago suggesting the Navy deploy its own land based tankers in areas like the Med and the Persian gulf. It would be much more efficient and leave deck space for more combat AC or allow AC like the S-3 and A-6 to do their primary job instead of hauling fuel. I'm sure interservice bickering hit the roof. IIRC the article suggested using surplus Convair 880s.

The navy primarily uses its fighter class tankers to fill up around the ship. Usually a few thousand pounds. Its organic tanking for additional landing attempts or to keep people aloft in case of a fowled deck, As opposed to the USAFs big wing tankers which are used to extend long range endurance. I doubt there was much turf war because the USAF and other nations share their big wing tankers anyway, and I don't see the USN wanting to spend billions on giant KC aircraft. The navy is a ship force with airplanes, not the other way around. The marines assign land based KC-130s to support their MEUs and since harriers land once everytime, and can land around a fouled deck, L class ships don't worry about organic tanking around the ship, and the herks are used for range extension.

There is always going to be interservice friction, but I think a lot of people would be surprised, especially in an era of shrinking budgets how many capabilities other services are willing to defer, especially if they still get the benefits. The A-10 saga is an example of this and why the army had no interest in getting the A-10. They get all the benefits and the air force pays the bill. Big wing tankers are the same. The USAF is paying the big bucks, but everyone benefits. Fuel is fuel regardless of who owns the aircraft.

Having said all that what seems to make the Rhino different from the S-3 and A-6 is that both of those aircraft were due to be retired and doing the tankING later in their service life. Rhinos have been doing organic tanking from the start, and the fatigue is more of a issue because they have worn out and it's basically a case of "premature aging" and we cant just junk these because that creates a firepower gap
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:44:47 AM by taiidantomcat »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2022, 03:49:18 AM »
And a quick sketch of mine for a proposed VTOL/ESTOL variant:

Years ago I drew the above as pure fictional.  Today, I discovered this real world proposal:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2022, 08:13:30 AM »
And a quick sketch of mine for a proposed VTOL/ESTOL variant:

Years ago I drew the above as pure fictional.  Today, I discovered this real world proposal:

;D ;D  It is amazing how often that happens!!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz