Author Topic: Airfix new-tool fabric wing Hurricane Mk.I, 23 Squadron,Royal Flying Corps,1939.  (Read 3019 times)

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
This build is based on the proposition that the RFC did not become the RAF in 1918 and that the paint and markings regulations in effect in 1918 did not change. This early  Mk.I belongs to Number 23 Squadron, Royal Flying Corps, based at North Weald, Essex, in September, 1939.

Construction is strictly OOB. A few parts were fiddly, but everything fit almost perfectly. I used NO putty and used CA and white canopy glue to fill any tiny gaps.

The paint is all hand-brushed freehand. I painted the doped fabric area with Xtracolor RFC PC.10 khaki over RFC Clear doped Linen. The metal areas are painted Testors square-bottle Aluminum. The details are painted as per the kit instructions.

The decals are kit decal fragments from a number of different WW1 kits, via the spares-box. The  serial number codes are are from a real -world SE.5, but these rules don't apply here.

The early Hurricane is, in my opinion, the pick of the litter from among the Airfix new-tool releases. I am very pleased with my 23 Squadron, RFC machine.

Adios, Larry.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:36:58 PM by CSMO »
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Know nothing about paint and markings regulations in effect in 1918.  Given that is them; your Hurricane carries colors-markings well.  Has a different look, but seems feasible.
Nice build, I like it :)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Yes, good job!

Makes you wonder, if there is no RAF and still a RFC, does that mean that there is still a RNAS and that it is still larger and better equipped than the RFC?
Flying off platforms on all battleships and cruisers anyone?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Love it! :)

Now do a Eurofighter Typhoon in similar!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
I thought of a RAF Wellington or Wellesley or a RNAS Sea Gladiator or Fairey Seafox. Time will tell,  Adios, Larry.
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
You certainly captured the essence of a fabric-winged Hurri with this baby, Larry!

I especially like the contrast between the metal and fabric areas.

Brian da Basher