Author Topic: Rules - 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB  (Read 4019 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Rules - 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB
« on: May 29, 2021, 10:42:07 AM »
Welcome to the Between the Wars GB (aka the 1920s/1930s GB) - a celebration of the Roaring Twenties and the Dirty Thirties. As eras, they may have seemed wonderful, indifferent, or plain appalling ... but no-one would say that those decades didn't have style  ;D

And then there was the marketing. I'm not even sure what a 1927 Willys Overland Whippet 93A was, but you've gotta love the name! So, surf the GB inspiration files; search your stash; tempt fate with a cruise through eBay; and dive on in  :smiley:

Rules - "Hey, a rule is a rule, and let's face it, without rules there's chaos."

1 -- Duration: 01 June 2021 to 31 July 2021 (around tea time) Extended to 08 Aug 2021
2 -- Subjects: Land, Sea, Air, Sea, Military, Civvie Street, or ?
3 -- Formats: Physical builds, Paint/Pixels, Stories, ...
4 -- Vintages: Denizens of File Folders or Shelves of Doom welcomed
5 -- AltHist: Are we not whiffers? Just so long as its 1920s/1930s
6 -- Rule Six: Anything resembling a rule six ruins the whole atmos!
7 -- Works in Progress: WIP documentation positively encouraged.
8 -- Awesomeness: Essential. You know you are ... so express it!
9 -- Extensions: Considered (excessive praise of Moderator may help)
10 - Sorry, can't remember Rule 10. Maybe it will come back to me ...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:40:43 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
Re: Rules - 1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:53:46 AM »
A question . . . Is this a 'One Model per Thread' GB, or can I have a single thread for multiple models, all to the same theme ??

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 09:05:11 AM »
A question . . . Is this a 'One Model per Thread' GB, or can I have a single thread for multiple models, all to the same theme ??

Pretty sure that wasn't Rule 10 ... maybe it was Rule 11?

A single thread for multiple, related-theme models would be fine. It would restrict things a smidge when it comes to polling time. On the other hand, single-wing biplanes stand out in a crowd, right?

So, Rule 11 says: Single or separate thread for groupings of related models? Up to the individual poster  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online robunos

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 04:48:37 AM »
Thanks for that . . .   :icon_alabanza:
I hadn't thought about the polling, but I'm sure my efforts won't trouble the judges . . .

And anyway, who says I'm building One Wing Biplanes ?? :P    ;D
I'll post up the introductory threads in due course, they can always be divided up in due course if necessary . . .   :smiley:

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 01:02:17 AM »
... And anyway, who says I'm building One Wing Biplanes ?? ...

Basic consumer demand, Robin. And, we the customer, are always right  ;)

Online robunos

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 05:11:31 AM »
You're lucky, then, as there will be some One Wing Biplanes, along with something a bit different from my usual fare . . .
I really had hoped to have made some progress by now, however (un)fortunately, my workload is effectively back to pre-lockdown levels, so i just haven't had a decent chunk of time available.

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 09:51:28 AM »
You're lucky, then, as there will be some One Wing Biplanes, along with something a bit different from my usual fare . . .

We, the idle consuming public, are satisfied with this answer  :smiley:

However, please inform your employer(s) that if adequate modelling time is not permitted, we will simulate coughing fits and fever temperatures! Bench time or another lock-down ... its their call, really  ;)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 12:48:46 PM »
Is 90ish% finished between wars build languishing around here.  Is so far along would like to include as 'display only', no for voting.  That work ?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 03:43:34 AM »
Is 90ish% finished between wars build languishing around here.  Is so far along would like to include as 'display only', no for voting.  That work ?

Bring it! On the 'display only' aspect, I'm wondering how others feel about establishing a dedicated sub-category for voting.

I'd prefer soundings from other GB participants (or potential participants) but I lean towards voting categories such as: Physical Builds; Shelf Queens; Paint and Pixels; Stories or Scenarios; etc.

So, the questions are:

1) Should we have a distinct voting category for former denizens of the Shelf-of-Doom?

2) Are there any suggestions for voting categories beyond those listed above?

All input on such issues welcomed  :D

Online robunos

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
However, please inform your employer(s) that if adequate modelling time is not permitted, we will simulate coughing fits and fever temperatures! Bench time or another lock-down ... its their call, really  ;)

Ah, there's the rub, I'm now fully vaccinated, so in their eyes I'm immune, and therefore able to venture out into the Covid infected wastelands in order to make money for them . . .
Having thought about it, if I scale back my original plans somewhat, I should have something finished by the GB end date.
Hoping to make a start tomorrow . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
My three ha'porth regarding the rules.

My feelings are that hanger queens and survivors of the shelf of doom should be allowed as long as they have to do something to complete them. Perhaps set the bar at at add a few bits and a full  paint job to finish.

Group builds are a bit undersbscribed and this will be a good way to boost numbers

Buzzbombs relaxing of the rules on the last GB is a  good indicator of the   increase in participants

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 03:52:15 AM »
Well said 'mog.

Buzzbomb does lead the way. There's a reason(s) why projects wind up of the Shelf o' Doom. Could be a lapse in inspiration. Possibly a hope-for 'quick build' encountering an unwelcome degree of difficulty. Maybe just a bout of missing mojo.

So much the better if a period GB motivates that mojo and get the modeller to the finish line. But, as you suggest, 'finish' is the operative word. Already completed? Bung 'er into the Inspiration thread. Just needed some stimulation to go that last yard with that 'Queen? Come on in!

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 08:07:43 AM »
1st paragraph : -  had all of those symptoms as one point or another  ;D

2nd paragraph :-  you get my point exactly :smiley:, its like adding the ' clear your workbench GB'  to a regular GB

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
1920s/1930s GB or Between the Wars GB

"So, in a curious lurid calm which could not last and yet, it seemed, could not end, the days went by. ― Iris Murdoc

In other words, the hands of the Clock of Doom continue to turn! [1] There are but two (2) days left to go  :o

This Group Build will end at 11:59:59 pm 31 July 2021, Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) -- meaning 7 hours behind UTC/GMT. (This arrangement favoured Antipodian participants but it turns out that the crowd Down Under are a very punctual and well-organized lot.)

For those still heading towards the finish line, timing will vary. Where an individual modeller is physically located will determine their 'Stop' time. For example, are you in, say, ...:

The Midlands? Step away from that modelling desk at 6:59:59 am on 01 Aug 2021! Extended to 08 Aug 2021

Italia? Interrompi tutte le attivitā alle 7:59:59 del 01 agosto 2021 Prorogato al 08 agosto 2021

Of course, I picked those two locations completely at random. My choice of example locations is in no way meant to add extra pressure (or to prompt any offers of lucrative bribes). That said, this is the opportune moment to request extensions (and operators are standing by to help negotiation easy-terms payment plans).

Meanwhile, an urgent expression from Canadian curling 'culture' may be motivating: "Hurry Hard!"

[1] For the younger modellers, this is analogue clock metaphor - a reference to utterly obsolete technology completely irrelevant to modern life. Ignore it and go write an app (or whatever it is you young 'uns get up to these days).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 04:43:21 AM by apophenia »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 11:27:38 AM »

"... I said that time may change me; But I can't trace time." - David Bowie

Here in Pacific Time Zone, we're heading towards the end of the penultimate day of this GB! So, a slightly premature 'Well done all!'.

Barring any last-minute extension requests, we'll wrap this puppy up tomorrow night (PDT). And then start the Polls  :smiley:

Maņana!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 03:09:15 PM »

Maņana!
Do doooo.. de doo do  ;)

Well sort of Muppetish  :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 04:34:56 AM »

But not quite yet, eh  ;)  Yes, that's right, we have had an extension request!

The close of this GB has now been pushed back to11:59:59 08 August 2021 (PDT). And that is a whopping 8.5 day reprieve   :D

To those who pushed to get 'er done by the planned deadline, We Salute You!

For those tardy souls who have yet to make a start, plenty of time to put that kit together now  :smiley:

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »
Oooh, an extension!  :icon_surprised: No way I'll get the plastic versions done, but maybe enough time for some profiles of what I had in mind.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 07:13:05 AM »
... No way I'll get the plastic versions done, but maybe enough time for some profiles of what I had in mind.

Yes!! Bring on those pixels Moritz!  :smiley: :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2021, 10:33:45 AM »
"For I am involved in a Group Build. Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee." - John Donne

Okay, mayhap, Donne's thoughts actually drifted wide of the model-making arc. But, in essence, the poet was commenting on the fact that all Group Builds must, invariably reach their end. And that end is nigh folks!

That's right, tomorrow at 11:59:59 pm PDT, we're done! We're Done! Alles ist kaputt! The Fat Lady has Sung!  :o

It's been a fun ride!  But, that up ahead? That, my friends, is the finish line. And then it will be time for our Poll  :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 02:28:40 AM »
I shall end with another quote: "Time Gentlemen, Please!" - Anon. Publican

Many thanks to the GB participants and all who chimed in  :smiley:  Next up is the Poll.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 08:53:30 AM »
And the Polls are up. That is right, thars two of 'em:

1 : Baked From Scratch (aka 'Brand Spankin' New Builds!')
- http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9904.0

2 : Shelf of Doom's Loss (aka 'Hangar Queens Rescued!')
-- http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9905.0

There is no poll for profiles or other 2D artwork.  Why?  Well, my fellow pixel-pushers were sensible enough not to rise to my urgings and taunts. (So, with no rival submissions to worry about, I've been happily re-arranging my new virtual Pixel Trophy collection around the Pool Room for weeks now!)

The actual contributions have come from those Perfectors of Polystyrene Pursuits. And there are plenty of gems to choose from. Again, you have a total of three (3) votes to divide between the two (2) categories. This poll will be open until 22 August 2021 (PDT). Then, ... Judgement Day

So ... VOTE!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:00:51 AM by apophenia »