Author Topic: Lauhof's profiles  (Read 288483 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Lauhof's profiles
« Reply #500 on: December 08, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
Or, as a more traditional Arab state:

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #501 on: December 08, 2013, 03:51:12 AM »
Thank you Guys for all your remarks on the subject. I will be working on it next week

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #502 on: December 09, 2013, 02:52:02 AM »
..... had some spare time

so

In 1943 a Short Sunderland took off nearby Alexandrië. On board were Palestinian inhabitants who wanted to fight against Nazi-Germany. They were send to England for pilot-training. Not knowing they were united with Jewish people, who had escaped from Germany with the same idea. In Scotland they recieved their training learning to fly the Hawker Hurricane and at last the Grumman-Curtiss P-37D. This was a upgraded version of the P-37C with a centaurus engine (The same the Israeli’s did in 1948 with their P-37C’s).
After their training in Scotland they were send back to Egypt to fight the African Corps in North Africa. At this time they encountered their Jewish mates in the same Squadron.
Along the tours at the front they learned to esteem each other and after several combats in Africa, Sicily and South of France they respected each other.
After the war the squadron was replaced at Alexandrië and most of the Jewish and Palestinian pilots went home. When in 1948 Israel declared their independence  and it was approved by the United Nations, the Arab world attacked Israel. Several Palestinian pilots, who disapproved this step of the Jews captured in Alexandrië several P-37D’s, escaped to Jordan and formed their own Squadron, they were joined by other Arab young Guys and so they formed the two Squadrons to fight the Israeli, PAF1 and PAF2 (PAF stands for Palestina Airforce).
The Israeli defeated the Arabs and their state was secured. But it were the Squadron-mates from the wartime from both Israel and Palestina who encountered each other in the knowledge that without peace between the Jews and Palestinian  people their would be now real solution. So in 1952 the negotiations led to the establishment of the new state Palestine.
Here are two P-37’s from that time. First the one from the PAF2, fighting the Jews and the second one is the upgraded version bij the Dalman-Company, the P-37E from the new state Palestine, who vought against Egypt and Syria who attacked the new state of Palestine in 1952

Regards
Lauhof

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:32:35 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #503 on: December 09, 2013, 02:54:04 AM »
 :) :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #504 on: December 09, 2013, 04:04:59 AM »
Those look quite nice!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #505 on: December 09, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
Great new P-37s! and a fine backstory, alas with other wars instead of the peace I dreamed of, but what-if does not mean delirious you are right... ;)

Offline simmie

• In need of an Avatar...or one will be chosen for h
« Reply #506 on: December 09, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
I didn't know the Short Sunderland was an amphibian!
Growing old is mandatory

Growing up is optional

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #507 on: December 09, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
I didn't know the Short Sunderland was an amphibian!

Modified the story! ;)

Offline cptmike2012

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #508 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:28 AM »
After the Declaration of Independence the new state Israel bought several P37C's. They adjusted the centaurus engine and delivered it to the 101 squadron. here is one:

regards
Lauhof

Nice work Paul  8)  To me the radial engine makes the P-37 look like a tougher customer than one with an in-line engine...

Thanks and regards,

Michael

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #509 on: December 11, 2013, 12:12:23 AM »
Thank you all Guys!

Here is the other P-37D from 101 Tayeset and his counterpart in the UK.

regards
Lauhof

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #510 on: December 11, 2013, 12:14:45 AM »
The Royal Navy one is especially nice... :-*

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #511 on: December 11, 2013, 01:54:04 AM »
Thanks Tophe!

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #512 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:08 AM »
The FAA colors just suite that plane and for some reason make the design scream BRITISH!  Nice job sir  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #513 on: January 18, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »
Thanks!

Douglas, which contributed a lot to the War-effort with the Decimator and Dominator, were asked by the Bureau of Aeronautics to develop a new fighter-bomber with a turboprop engine. Douglas, already building an piston-engine attack-plane (the AD skyraider), came with the A2D Skyshark. Although there were some difficulties at the beginning, they succeeded to deliver the plane before the end of WWII. When the USS Wasp (CV-18) returned to the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Washington 24 Skysharks were taken on board. With the Wasp they went to Pearl harbor in June for deck-trials. The USS Wasp entered war-activities in July 1945 by attacking Wake Island but only two Skysharks from VFB-86 took part in wartime-efforts by attacking the Yokosuka naval base in Tokyo in august. Here is one of them:

After the war Douglas developed an anti-submarine version of the Skyshark, the A2D-2W. here is one from the VC-12, which took part in the Korean War in 1952:

friendly regards
Lauhof

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #514 on: January 18, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
A2D-1 & A2D-2W   Excellent  :)

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #515 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
Aw! "Ugly" but nice! ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2014, 02:59:04 AM »
Oh yeah! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2014, 05:51:08 AM »
Thank you, Guys. There will be more. Even een jet-version.

regards
Lauhof

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #518 on: January 20, 2014, 03:22:28 AM »
The Dutch Government was one of the first countries to buy the Skyshark. They were all send to the Marine Luchtvaardienst (MLD) for patrol and attack duties on board the Karel Doorman and to take part in the war against the Indonesian independence in 1947-1948. Here are two examples:

regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:17:21 AM by lauhof52 »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »
Liking these Skysharks  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #520 on: January 22, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »
Thank you!

The USN was anxious to get a jet-fighter on board. They had already given McDonnell the assignment to develop a jet version. But the delay was causing retention problems by the pilots,especially those of the Marines, who were still flying F4U's. Douglas was already building a jet-fighter for the USAF. They used a shortenend fuselage of the Skyshark to build the P-74 Indomitable. It was delivered in 1947 to the USAF. The USAF, also flying the P-80, send 25 planes in 1948 to the USN, they were used for training and one squadron was equipped, the VF-52. Also some P-74 went to the Marines. But the Marines were the first to get their own jetfighter in 1950, the Douglas F2D-1 Skyshark II. Here are the two examples.

friendly regards
Lauhof
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:33:07 PM by lauhof52 »

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2014, 01:04:51 AM »
All of the Skysharks are excellent although for this particular occasion that I'm in I have to give double thumbs up to the multi-seaters  :)
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #522 on: January 23, 2014, 03:44:30 AM »
All of the Skysharks are excellent although for this particular occasion that I'm in I have to give double thumbs up to the multi-seaters  :)

Thank you for the compliment!

friendly regards
lauhof

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #523 on: January 23, 2014, 05:53:28 AM »
Well......  ;)

(Note to self: a Skyshark floatplane might even have gone well with a seaplane-capable Type 45...... if it wasn't for its tail)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:00:15 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #524 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »
The Skyshark II was tested and bought by the Royal Navy and saw service from 1952. The Dutch Airforce (KLU) bought the P-74 and the first squadron which was equipped with it was 325 Sqn. in Leeuwarden in 1955. Here are two examples,

friendly regards
Lauhof