Author Topic: My First ever Kit  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
My First ever Kit
« on: February 10, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »
I found this while tidying up a few months ago, and have been inspired to post it by the recent ‘time capsule’ thread. It must be about ten years old, and it’s meant to be a Revell spitfire of some mark. It’s got a few errors, mostly with the lower wing which is upside down with the main gear upside down and as a result of the wing also inside out. Even so, when I was six or seven, I was immensely proud of this kit - and I still remember the day I bought it in a clearance sale in Marks and Spencer’s on Edgware Road.

Yes, the decals were applied with cellotape...
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: My First ever Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 07:16:55 AM »
Thanks for showing your first as a kid model.  Gotta like them roundels on tail wings.  Actually pulled off building with inside-out underwing and landing gear.
Particularly gets my attention because my first model was a Spitfire.  Aurora 1/48 in blue plastic.  As a youngster thought all Spitfires were that navy like blue.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »
That's great and I especially like the roundels on the under sides of the horizontal stabilizers.

Lots of fun looking at these old builds!

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
Nice share Mr Duck,  8)

Don't be put off by the time capsule, they are representative of the pinnacle of my 1970s expertise.

Trust me there are still a few porkers in the Box of Doooom  ::)

My first model (an Airfix Grumman Gosling I think) is long gone and was of  a similar quality as yours .

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:23:16 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
I think we all went down that road as kids!
My first model as I recall was a tractor ordered from a corn flakes box. I tried to put it together with wood glue and it fell apart. I just couldn’t wait for dad to buy model glue.
I also recall a P-40 that got customized with air scoops from some car toy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:58:17 PM by kerick »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »
Ha ha ha !  Brings back memories, once tried to build a kit with balsa cement because i'd run out of polystyrene glue. Spent the next few days picking up pieces as they fell off until I could get the proper stuff  :P ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:56:47 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:58 PM »
My first builds: Paint was unheard of, glue went everywhere & transfers (as they were back then) went wherever I felt they looked good.

My skills are better, & my eye for the theoretically plausible (for a given value of same) has improved but I still, mostly, get the same kick out of building models. ;)

Good job, Ducky! :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:59 AM »
You need to put that Spitfire on the shelf next to your recent work to remind yourself how far your skills have come. And to remind yourself to have fun!

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
You need to put that Spitfire on the shelf next to your recent work to remind yourself how far your skills have come. And to remind yourself to have fun!

I’m one step ahead of you there: it stands proudly in my display cabinet alongside all four of the other kits I’ve ever finished and I still own (yes, I know, that’s pitiful...).

In case anyone was wondering, they’re a 1/72 South Katangese MiG-15, a Warhammer Basilisk, a Fujimi 1/144 Me262 (now that is a crap kit) and a 1/35 Tachikoma Think Tank.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:03:47 AM »
The lodger we had introduced me into kit building back in the early 60's, I had a bit of an advantage because he patiently showed me how to read the instruction sheet so the parts would fit more or less properly (the tricky bits he did and it was never painted nor did it have the decals put on). Always remember that first kit I ever had, it was a small scale B-58, I didn't appreciate what it was called back then but from memories I know what it was now (sadly the kit is long gone). Oddly I can't remember what the next kit was, something Airfix I think.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:23:25 AM »
The first kit I ever built is long gone.  ISTR it was a Hawk Spitfire and 'twas not that well built (reversed the wings with the stowed landing gear on the upper surfaces  :-[ ).  That was before we moved from the Chicago, IL area down to Texas, so that had to be a minimum of 58 years ago and I'll plead youthful ignorance as my defense.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »
The first kit I ever built is long gone.  ISTR it was a Hawk Spitfire and 'twas not that well built (reversed the wings with the stowed landing gear on the upper surfaces  :-[ ).  That was before we moved from the Chicago, IL area down to Texas, so that had to be a minimum of 58 years ago and I'll plead youthful ignorance as my defense.

Is three of us with Spitfires !
Model decades gone. 
Attached box picture:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:58:54 PM by finsrin »

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »
LOVE this thread!!!

My first ever was also a Spitfire!  An Airfix 1/72 in the old blister-pack.  Bought with pocket money when I was about 7.  No painting was involved, and as I remember the blister pack included an odd little bubble of glue. 

I must say your effort beats my by a mile.  I did no paint, and it took until about my fourth build (and a bit of parental help) to figure out that I had to put the decals (transfers) in water to make them come off the paper! 

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
it took until about my fourth build (and a bit of parental help) to figure out that I had to put the decals (transfers) in water to make them come off the paper!

After seeing this upon returning home from work, my dad told me that the next time I built a model kit I should get him to show me how to use decals... He used some different techniques to how I do it nowadays (such as using rather warm water and putting the decal in a saucer, face down)... he also gave my mum a Gin and Tonic beforehand (to serve as a distraction) as the only pair of tweezers in the house were her make-up ones!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 11:27:56 AM »
All of my initial efforts met the same fate.

Offline Themoff

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 06:05:36 AM »
Yep same for me I had more paint and glue on my fingers than the model! I think it was a Matchbox Gnat kit.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 07:15:51 AM »
Yep same for me I had more paint and glue on my fingers than the model! I think it was a Matchbox Gnat kit.

Makes it more memorable and the adventure/enjoyment is what really counts !

Offline Kerick

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »
Kits in those days should have come with firecrackers in the box. It would have saved time!