Poll

What should I do during the last 3 weeks of this GB?

Two desert profiles is enough, get back to the P-61F Black Widow!
3 (25%)
Do another desert B-51 Panther!
0 (0%)
Do another desert He 100!
2 (16.7%)
Do another desert Vought Viking!
1 (8.3%)
Do another desert He 46G!
0 (0%)
Do a different desert profile (Hind, Frogfoot, Gripen, M5 Jackson--specify below)!
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 14, 2013, 02:14:49 PM

Author Topic: A Third Desert Warfare Profile? - Yes! An Israeli Hind!  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
A Third Desert Warfare Profile? - Yes! An Israeli Hind!
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Alright, I'm wrapping up my second profile for this GB.  With any luck, I'll be done sometime next week.  Here's a hint, it's going to be an He 100.  That will leave me with another 3 weeks before this GB is done (assuming no extensions).  What should I do with the rest of the month if I have the time to do another profile?  I won't be able to do a desert P-61F for this GB, but other than that my options are pretty open.

Take a look at the inspiration thread to see the desert profiles that I did before this GB:

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2506.msg35844#msg35844
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2506.msg36693#msg36693

If you specify something other than the B-51 Panther, Vought Viking, or He 46, please limit it to the profile types I've done before (see the inspiration thread for examples of all of them).

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:47:01 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Re: A Third Desert Warfare Profile?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »
I'm really liking that scorpion art myself.  But in aircraft,how about doing a "real" airplane ??????  Real airplanes have at least two wings and a propeller !!!   I'm thinking on an ex-US Navy  F3F-1 in Turkish markings and camo or maybe in Argentine markings, as soon as or if I get my BA- 3 model 1946 done.  Too bad I voted before seeing your text.  You are planning to build a physical model of one of your aircraft aren't you ???   :icon_fsm:
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
I'm liking the Gripen and/or Frogfoot man!  How about some Israeli, Moroccan, Algerian, Saudi, maybe even Italian or Greek or random Euro on expeditionary service trying to help a former colony?  Load them up for some tank plinking whatever you do  ;)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »
Oh boy, one of the oldies.  I haven't touched any of them in quite a while.  By the way, did you see my Gripen in the old scheme from the Congo?  That's sort of along those lines?  It's from 3 years ago, but you might like it.  Also, I've done Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian, and Greek Super Hornets and Gripens.  Have you seen them?

With the escalation of violence in MONUC and the ambush of an Egyptian UN patrol, it was decided to increase the number of military peacekeepers to include an aerial contingent with Ukraine contributing a small helicopter force and Sweden sending four Saab Gripens.

In a bit of nostalgia, Saab even offered to repaint four of the aircraft--from F 17--in the scheme worn by the Saab Tunnans nearly 50 years before.  In a bit of additional irony, the aircraft operated from Kinshasa International Airport, the same airport the Tunnans were located in 1961. Unlike the Tunnans, however, all the Gripens came home at the end of their African service and one of them (the example below) continued to wear the scheme for another 3 years on the airshow circuit, even being paired up in with the remaining flyable Tunnan (also painted in the scheme for the occasion) for a 50th anniversary photo shoot.

Right now I'm leaning towards another He 100...

Cheers,

Logan

Offline philp

• Would gladly pay on Tuesday for a Bender today!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:07 AM »
How about an Israeli Hind?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
The camo scheme from that Gripen would be killer on an He-100!

Brian da Basher

gofy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 10:01:55 AM »
USMC/RN Harrier II, Libya 2012...
Or F-35!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Sorry, ennis & gofy, like I said, please limit it to the profile types I've done before.  I spend a lot of time working on the profile blanks.  Asking me to start a new one with a month left is like asking a modeler to scratchbuild a complete model--no kit!

I'll be finishing the He 100 I've got as soon as I get a few more layers from Talos.  Then--I have to say--philp's suggestion certainly appeals to me.  I may have to do another Frogfoot, too, but exactly what and when...

Cheers,

Logan

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
I'm rather partial to another desert He-100.  I just picked up the "Military Aircraft in Detail" book on the He-100 and find I'm intrigued.  I see now how the desert filter intake would be added to the existing intake with a butterfly valve at the front to force intake air through filter media on takeoff but allowing direct feed once in clean air.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: A Third Desert Warfare Profile? - Yes! An Israeli Hind!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:47:24 AM »
Well, I decided on one to do!  Click on it to view it at 100%.  Thanks to philp for the suggestion!

In December 2005, Elbit was awarded a contract to upgrade Bulgaria’s Mi-24V attack helicopters to comply with NATO standards.  After work had been started on all 12 Hind helicopters, Russia informed the Bulgarian Ministry of Defense that Elbit’s work was uncertified and that all of the aircraft would be hereby unsupported by the manufacturer.  After cancellation of the upgrade contract, Bulgaria demanded damages equivalent to the full value of the aircraft, arguing that they were unusable now and therefore only able to be scrapped.  Israel, negotiating on Elbit’s behalf, agreed to take over the contract from Bulgaria in addition to paying Bulgaria a reasonable sum for the Mi-24 helicopters.

Having just stood down the 161 “Cobras of the North” attack helicopter squadron and transferring its AH-1 Cobras to 160 Squadron, Israel decided to reform the unit in order to operate its “new” Mi-24 Hinds.  Israel was confident of its ability to operate the Mi-24 without official support from Russia.  Since Israel didn’t use Russian munitions, however, Elbit worked with Lockheed Martin to rearm the Mi-24s with the 20mm M197 and Hellfire missiles, in addition to their own Spike missiles.  The upgraded Hinds proved to be popular with the IDF, which nicknamed the Mi-24 the “Tniniim” (Crocodile).  The 161 Squadron was renamed “The Crocodile Squadron” to better fit its new mount, complete with a new logo to match the new name, but based on the logo of old.  The open-mouthed black snake on a green background with its tail wrapped around a yellow lightning bolt was replaced by a crocodile in the same pose.

The Mi-24 was reliable, and Israel found little difficulty maintaining the new aircraft, especially after support for them was unofficially reinstated following Russian negotiations to acquire Israeli UAVs.  Spare parts (including new engines) were merely sent through either Belorussian or Indian intermediaries to the satisfaction of both parties.  The aircraft were painted in a scheme matching the AH-64D Saraf, but were also given a tan crocodile silhouette, much like the cobra silhouette on the AH-1s in service with the IDF.  The yellow “V” recognition symbol was especially important for the new Mi-24s since its potential adversary Syria also operated the ever-popular Hind.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
Thats a winner  :-* :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 03:26:14 AM »
Thats a winner  :-* :-*

Definitely! I love the crocodile on the nose!

Nice work, Mr Tomcat!

Brian da Basher