Author Topic: Argentinian B-51B Panther Build Thread - Falklands 1982  (Read 12024 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Argentinian B-51B Panther Build Thread - Falklands 1982
« on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
Here's the "build thread" for the Argentinian B-51B entry for the Falklands GB.

Let me know if there are any questions about any stage of the process.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Argentinian B-51B Panther Build Thread - Falklands 1982
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
And here's the finished product.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

When the Fuerza Aérea Argentina began looking to replace its Avro Lancasters and Lincolns, it looked at various bomber and attack aircraft, but the Martin B-51 Panther quickly proved to be the standout candidate.  A number of factors ended up pushing the selection of the Panther such as an aggressive marketing campaign by Martin, the ready availability of surplus B-51Bs from the USAF, its acquisition by other South American air forces, and delays in the competition.

Although a large and complicated aircraft, the Panther was accurate, maneuverable, and very fast at low level.  When Argentine forces occupied the Falkland Islands in April of 1982, the United Kingdom dispatched a naval force to retake the islands from Argentinian forces.  Flying from the Argentinian mainland, the range of the "Panteras" allowed them to strike Royal Navy ships near the islands.  A number of aircraft were lost in these attacks, but Argentine pilots continued to press home the attacks, taking advantage of the B-51's speed at extremely low level.  Despite faulty fuzes that left unexploded bombs lodged in British ships as often as not, by the end of the conflict, the Panthers of the Argentinian Air Force sank or damaged no fewer than seven British ships.

The aircraft depicted in the profile was responsible for the sinking of the HMS Coventry on 25 May 1982.  Here she is depicted some time after the attack, with yellow recognition markings and two kills for ships claimed in attacks.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »
And here's a good detail shot that will give you a better look at Talos' great markings he made for this profile along with all the blasted Spanish markings I had to make up.  Why can't the Argentines be lazy like the rest of the world and just leave them in English?  Ugh.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
Logan asked me to say a few words about the decal work I did for this one. I also did the original line art he was working with, before I forget.

These are the full-size examples I drew, based on a lot of research information we gathered. The kill marking (intentionally rough) is a Type-42 destroyer, like the Coventry. I had done two others and started on a fourth, but we decided to go with just the two destroyers here. I think the hardest time with the badge was probably matching the font! I ended up going with one of the Franklins, though I needed a Swiss probably...

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:49:42 AM »
An absolutely gorgeous profile!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
That is such a good drawing and the B-51 is too cool for school. Do you draw to a particular scale?

Historical Nitpicker's Society Memo #1:

But there was nothing wrong with the fuses used by the ARA during the Falklands War just they were set for higher release than the bombs were dropped from. So many of the bombs were not armed by the time they hit their targets. The Argentine pilots were meant to drop from the safe, higher height but when they saw all the AAA being put up by the British flew lower to survive. If they had used instant fuses then they would have sunk more ships but also blown themselves out of the air. If they had flown pop up attacks that their bombs were set for they would have lost lots of planes to Sea Darts but would have scored more hits and kills.

If they had B-51s in service they might have retarded bombs that could be safely dropped from very low altitudes. In which case they would have caused a lot more damage to the British and still allowed their aircraft to escape.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
Fantastic!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
Brilliant!

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
You did it...again,is quite impressive !!!

Alex
Alex

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:57 PM »
Great job to the both of you!  :-*
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I'm glad you all like it.

That is such a good drawing and the B-51 is too cool for school. Do you draw to a particular scale?

Historical Nitpicker's Society Memo #1:

But there was nothing wrong with the fuses used by the ARA during the Falklands War just they were set for higher release than the bombs were dropped from. So many of the bombs were not armed by the time they hit their targets. The Argentine pilots were meant to drop from the safe, higher height but when they saw all the AAA being put up by the British flew lower to survive. If they had used instant fuses then they would have sunk more ships but also blown themselves out of the air. If they had flown pop up attacks that their bombs were set for they would have lost lots of planes to Sea Darts but would have scored more hits and kills.

If they had B-51s in service they might have retarded bombs that could be safely dropped from very low altitudes. In which case they would have caused a lot more damage to the British and still allowed their aircraft to escape.

Talos and I don't do them to a particular scale.  He does the line art in vector, so can export it to any scale.  I make the Photoshop files at a high enough resolution, I can do the same to a practical extent.

As for the bombs, "faulty" was a poor word choice of mine.  I would say, though, that they were the "wrong" fuses for the job.  I'd read about the Argentinian frustrations with their bombs and fuses, they eventually secured replacement fuses for them later in the war.  Retarded bombs may have been better, but there are accuracy issues there.  They really just needed timed fuses set for 10 seconds after impact or something.  They eventually got proper fuses but it was a matter of "too little, too late".

As Lord Craig said, though, "Six better fuses and we would have lost."

Cheers,

Logan

roberdigiorge

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
Great Work!!! ;)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »
wow, guys,  that's great stuff !  The B-51 is my fav jet-bomber  :-* :-*

Hopefully you will do it in other colours (RAF) too for the pixels post ??

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »

Like Logan said, I don't draw to any particular scale. I figure out the scale later on, of course, but when I'm drawing, I just do it at a size that fills my desktop. Sometimes if I have to draw things in a common scale, I will resize them into 1" = 1m, which is just easy to work with. Then I go in percentages from there, 150%, 200%, etc.

Our conversations usually go something like "Is 6815 x 2600 big enough?" "Yeah." "Okay then."

(that's how big the He 100 was)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
That's some incredible work, Logan and a wonderful showcase of your talent and skill!

Great stuff!

Brian da Basher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 04:29:24 AM »
Thanks, Roberto!  I'm glad to see you on the forum!  Maybe we can get a profile out of you for the GB?

Thanks, raafif, we're going to try to do an RAF one eventually, but we did do one already.  Did you see it?

Thanks so much, Brian, I've been loving your recent entry for this GB, too!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 02:05:25 PM »
Thanks, raafif, we're going to try to do an RAF one eventually, but we did do one already.  Did you see it?
Cheers,Logan

Ah yes I remember that one now ..... prefer it in Flash White & pink roundels tho :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Another one for the build thread:

Let me know if there are any questions about any stage of the process.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
And here's the finished product.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

Delays in acquiring A-4 Skyhawks for the Fuerza Aérea Argentina saw them instead deciding to purchase additional Panthers.  These B-51Bs, like the previous group, were ex-USAF with a retractable refueling probe in the nose, something that Argentina would put to use in their attacks on Royal Navy off the Falklands in 1982.  These new B-51Bs were all assigned to Grupo 4.  During the war, they would conduct numerous bombing missions, albeit less successful than those performed by Grupo 5.  They would also suffer a greater proportion of losses during the conflict.  C-321 was one of the aircraft that took part in the controversial raid on the HMS Invincible on May 30, 1982.

The aircraft has a kill marking for the Invincible on the nose and yellow recognition markings overpainted with blue at this point.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
A detail shot of the nose:

The full-size image can be found here.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
Magnificent Job Logan! :-* By the way any chance to get back someday at the midway-vikings!?

most friendly regards
Lauhof

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
Great profiles with the new camo