Author Topic: The Trilateral Commission Triplane - A Tri-ing Tale in 1/72 scale  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

Many think triplanes went out of style after the days of the Red Baron.

However, a deep dive into the record shows otherwise.

In 1930, the tiny, three-sided territories of Tribecca, Trianglestan and Trigonometry felt threatened as they were hemmed in by much larger nations. They formed a mutual defense pact which would be almost known to history as the Trilateral Commission.

The leaders of the three countries of the Trilateral Commission had a daunting task before them.

Developing any kind of teamwork between these countries would be challenging. Therefore, the first order of business was to come up with a banner everyone could rally around that would promote unity.

The second order of business was to obtain a modern aircraft to defend against bombing raids by their larger, glowering neighbors. Many proposals were considered and discarded as not being in line with the Trilateral Commission's design methodology.

You see, the Three Wise Men in their wisdom decreed that power of 3 be the cornerstone of all things within the Trilateral Commission. While this obsession led to a wildly anachronistic aircraft, it had hidden benefits.

An unfinished biplane prototype was converted into a triplane with a steel tube fuselage and cantilever wings. Those wings had interplane struts which were not necessary from a structural standpoint, but helped minimize wing flexing.

The three wings of the prototype fighter gave it an amazing rate of climb which was seen as crucial. Also, the three gun wing armament of two 30 cal. m.g.s & one 30 mm cannon was very heavy for the era and promised fire-power of unprecedented magnitude.

A teardrop-shaped clear perspex canopy offered the pilot an excellent all-around view and the incredibly streamlined spatted landing gear promised an intimidation factor that was also of unprecedented magnitude.

The crowd on hand to see the test flights fairly swooned upon seeing that amazingly sleek, sexy and scary undercarriage. They were also impressed by the prototype leaping skyward like a homesick angel.

Powered by a large radial engine which was so well thought out that even the exhaust was aerodynamic, the triplane thrilled the crowd with repeated power-dives at high speed.

The Three Wise Men had little choice but to order the prototype into production after the overwhelming acclaim of all who saw it or flew it. Thus the Trilateral Commission Tri-13 Triplane was born.

Once again, the citizens of the Trilateral Commission could feel safe and secure now that their skies would be protected by the most cutting-edge aircraft in eastern Europe.

Unfortunately, as perspex was the new wonder material, the ultra-modern canopy was quite expensive and in the end the Trilateral Commission could only afford three of the revolutionary triplanes. One was based in capitol of each of the three nations, tasked with air defense.

Luckily, this would be enough to keep the Trilateral Commission countries safe from enemy attack. If one doubts the effectiveness of these aircraft, the fact that no bombs ever fell on Tribecca, Trianglestan or Trigonometry shows just how feared these fighters were.

No Trilateral Commision Triplanes survive and the only extant photograph is of 369 based in the Trigonometran capitol of Trinomial. Due to this randomly assigned number, modelers and amateur historians remain convinced there was once a great air fleet of these forgotten 3-winged fighters.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 12:38:12 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Trilateral Commission Triplane - A Tri-ing Tale in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:26:51 AM »
This all started with a very cool 1/72 ICM I-15 Bis kit that showed up a while back (many thanks again, hamsterman!). Isn't that box art inspiring? I can almost feel the wind whipping through what's left of my hair.

What's inside the box is no slouch either even if the kit seems a little simple by modern standards.

Right off the bat, I knew I had to upgrade the front office. A few cuts and half a drop-tank later, and I had that expensive perspex canopy attached.

I wanted to save those cool kit skis which needed the pylons too, so a couple of spare Monogram P-36 stand parts were cut up and pressed into service.

I also added a tail wheel and a small ventral fin to compliment the shape of the upper fin & rudder.

My first concept was to chop off the lower wing and build this as a high-wing monoplane, but it became clear doing this would leave a gap I didn't want to deal with. A dive into the spares boxes produced a couple of orphaned Fokker D.VII lower wings that seemed perfect to convert this into a triplane. Left-over Sopwith Triplane interplane struts were used instead of the kit parts.

I also wanted to swap out the kit engine and one left over from a Junkers K.43 was used. Oddly enough, the I-15 kit exhaust ring was a good fit and also accepted those Junkers K.43 exhaust pipes on the end.

Then I added the three wing guns which were made from odd bits of sprue.

The last small mod was chopping down the fin and rudder a smidge and rounding it off. I think the lower fin & rudder give it a faster look.

I also swapped out the kit prop for a 1/144 three bladed model in keeping with the power of 3 theme.

The model was painted with the old hairy stick using acrylics, Model Masters Primer Gray mostly. The canopy was finished in Gloss Black with a shiny coat of Liquitex Artists' Acrylic Gloss Medium on top.

Decals were a mix from spares, the roundels being reversed old-style Nicaraguan markings from a roundels of the world sheet (thanks a million, Jeff!). The rudder stripes were painted but the red bars are decals as are the triangles in the middle.

I had a blast on this model which took me a week from start to finish.

I hope you enjoyed the Trilateral Commission Tri-13 Triplane and reading a little more hidden history in the factor of three.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:08:38 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:52:04 AM »

triplanes into modern ages : excellent idea !
a triplane jet maybe next time? ;)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 01:29:05 AM »
With spats

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 02:45:33 AM »
That is awesome!  ;D you might actually turn some heads with that one too, it looks authentic in a lot of ways. I admire their restraint in not going full SR-71:

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i423/nuuumannn/SR-71A/SR-71A24_zpse4676fc3.jpg

;D
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 02:47:36 AM »
 :) :) :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 05:39:09 AM »
This is the Triple Lutz of Tri-planes Brian. I giving you 3x bonus points for this triumphant trifecta of tribute to tri-planes. :)

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous work, my friend! Looks like an OOB Eastern European something that we'd never seen before the Interwebs!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 01:42:39 PM »
My first opinion was "Nice! but where do the parts come from??".
I am glad you explained it, while I could not have guessed it myself (even if I built a Heller Polikarpov I-153 a long tome ago)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous work, my friend! Looks like an OOB Eastern European something that we'd never seen before the Interwebs!

Does look that way.  Triiffic build. :)
Should be noted that not only is it a triplane; the wings are of three different lengths and landing gear went from two wheels to three wheels.
Those countries had a trying challenge but triumphed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:59:02 PM by finsrin »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
Beautiful, both in execution and backstory!  Three thumbs up!

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 12:50:01 AM »
What a superb beauty! If only we could do this full scale, imagine the roar and the whistle as this incredible bird power dives overhead. Wow.

I think the forward and downward view would be a bit limited, but those spats would scare off any enemy from that direction. Awesome.   :-* :-*
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 01:33:41 AM »
tres awesome, Brian!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »
Terrific as usual

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
Ever thought of writing a book with all these short stories? I'd buy it! Both the models and the backstories are really enjoyable :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 12:47:33 AM »
Ever thought of writing a book with all these short stories? I'd buy it! Both the models and the backstories are really enjoyable :)

I had a book deal once, but it fell through because the publishers insisted on calling it "fiction" instead of history. I research this stuff into the ground, so I was peeved.   :(

I'm really glad you guys enjoy my models and stories. Giving you a lift and something to smile about is why I do it.

That and the voices telling me to, that is...

Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »
awesome model and great back story