Author Topic: Waltzing RAM Matilda - 1/35 Tamiya  (Read 8456 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Waltzing RAM Matilda - 1/35 Tamiya
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:01:09 PM »
Finally got my work-space set up again today, having had to pack it up about a week before Christmas.

After much deliberation I decided I'd build one of my Matildas as my mojo-boosting first task for the year, leaving half-a-dozen part completed builds waiting on the side-lines.

I'll be building her pretty much OoB, with a few minor mod's for Royal Australian Marines operations in the Asia/Pacific region - not the Australian Army mod's.

The kit comes with 3 different gun barrels, including a 3" howitzer that I'm going to use instead of either of the 2-pounder barrels.

Enough waffling! I've only cleaned up about 6 pieces & glued 3 bits together but it's a start! :smiley: :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
Re: Waltzing RAM Matilda - 1/35 Tamiya
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
Comrade rickshaw, in a discussion elsewhere, questioned whether, as this was a Marines Matilda, I would be fitting this tank with wading gear.

My response is below:

Having done some research, including watching the "Inside the Cheiftain's Hatch" episode on the Matilda, I've concluded that the Queen of the Desert is not the Queen of the Beach.

Basically, the set-up at the rear of the Matilda doesn't lend itself to fitting wading gear without a serious re-design. The exhaust re-arrangement is do-able, not easy but it can be done, but those big cast panels on the engine deck have vents cast into them for air to come in & go out, & there's next-to-no room anywhere to fit a base for the the air inlet duct to connect to. :o

So, I'm insane, I have an idea & I'm going to run with it ... but I'll be doing it in such a way that the wading gear can be displayed fitted or disassembled, so the base can be seen for what it is & it can be seen how the assembled ducting works.

Did I mention I'm insane? :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
DAMN! I forgot to take into account the bloody turret! :icon_twisted:

Sorry, guys, no wading gear on this build. :icon_crap:

It can be done but it needs a complete re-design of the engine deck ... all of it. :o

I have another Matilda, but I have plans for her, so I'll need to buy another before I can do the wading option. I'll have to remove the engine deck & replace it with lighter plate-steel armour, rather than the massive cast armour used. Install vents & grills in a more consolidated arrangement. Then design the wading gear around that.

(Actually, I'll probably design the ventilation set-up & the wading ducts simultaneously as an integrated system.)

So, Matilda II CS with minimal mod's for RAM service it will have to be. :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:42:54 AM »
Sorry, guys, no wading gear on this build. :icon_crap:

What about a Duplex-Drive Matilda with flotation screen?  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:49 PM »
Nah, I'll just wait until I get my new Matilda.

Marines don't swim ashore! They're delivered to the beach in style! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »
About half way through piecing together the Bronco individual link tracks. :-X

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »

At least its keeping you out of trouble  ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 03:48:00 PM »

if you are using the full armoured guards, you only need about half
 ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »

if you are using the full armoured guards, you only need about half
 ;)

The kit comes with the flat tracks, the Bronco ones are the later tracks with the built-up edge. Still plodding along!

Oh, I'm also building a set of Fruilmodel tracks for my M41AS at the same time ... I'm a masochist! :o

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
Figured an update was somewhat overdue here, so here it is:

Tracks & bogeys are weathered & worn but Matilda, herself, is in her pristine primary paint job. From here it's finish & fit the tracks, fit the side armour & other bits, dirty her up a bit, install the crew & make a base.

Cheers! :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:44:08 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »
That's a great update and it's good to see you making progress on the Matilda.

I especially like your work on the wheels. Those little slivers of metal on the edges looks very convincing!

The overall paint work is very well done too.

You're in the home-stretch now!

Brian da Basher

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
Very nice, excellent job on the suspension.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
Thanks, gent's! :smiley:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »
Mate, looking great and can’t wait to see her finished off in her best ballgown.  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 11:10:38 PM »
Thanks, Claymore! :smiley:

Slightly stalled at the moment, until I get a chance to break out the airbrush again, but, in the meantime, I'm painting the crew & some of the later add-on bits. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
BTW, folks, this is on a short hiatus, as my eldest daughter is moving, not just out of home but out of town, next Tuesday.

She has her first full-time RN nursing position at a Nursing Home down in Millicent (the one where my mother is, in fact), near Mount Gambier in the SE of the state.

The last week has seen lots of prep, with more to do, & the garage (where I do my spray painting) is full of sh... stuff she'll be taking with her.

Then I'll be going down with her for 4 days to help her set up & settle in (also gives me a chance to see "me dear ol' mum" - which doesn't happen often enough).

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
Safe traveling to both of you.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »
Fun fun fun, that's what we were doing when I was down Christmas time, helping my step daughter move into our old house down south, better you than me.  ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
OK, this has barely moved at all since early March but, given where I stopped working on it, it's almost finished. Hopefully it'll ride on the coat-tails of the new motivation I've found for the M41 & I'll finish it.

I hate losing motivation! The desire to build is always still there but when the motivation is gone it's weird :-\ & frustrating :icon_twisted:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 12:06:52 AM »
I've been progressing this next to the M41 but I figure it might be, with a modicum of luck, Thursday/Friday next week before it's finished. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »
OK, finished except for dull-cote & some post-matt touch-ups. I'll try to get some photos up in the next 36 hours but it won't be finished-finished until I can get some airbrush time.

Guess I'll have to start clearing the workspace for the next build. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 12:49:15 AM »
Well, that was quick! ;)

So, here are some photos for you to peruse & make constructive criticisms about. 8)

It's difficult to realise that one of these was a "heavy" tank of its era, yet barely more than 10 years later the other was a "light" tank.

This last image is the most accurate to the real colours (on my monitor).

Thanks for watching! :smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 03:00:43 AM »
That looks every bit the business and your weathering is magnificent.

I imagine not many have your talent for livening up that OD scheme.

Very well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 08:08:22 PM »
Very noice!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 10:30:13 PM »
Thanks, blokes! :smiley:

I imagine not many have your talent for livening up that OD scheme.

Oh, if only that were true, Brian! I'm on the upper side of mediocre at best, I'm afraid, but getting slowly better, which is the aim of the game. ;)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 06:10:31 AM »
Both of them are really well done.  I like your weathering, too. 

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2018, 06:17:39 AM »
Looks great.  Top work

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »
Thanks heaps, mate! :icon_alabanza: