Author Topic: The RAAF Exterminator and the Second Emu War  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The RAAF Exterminator and the Second Emu War
« on: June 07, 2019, 05:11:45 AM »

After their resounding defeat in the First Emu War, Australia had more to worry about than the humiliating peace treaty they were forced to accept.

Their armed forces were in disarray and seriously in need of new kit.

In addtion, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

was upset about supposed animal rights violations during the war and this could've further degraded Australia's international standing.
Fortunately, the RSPCA was somewhat mollified when the RAAF updated their roundel to focus on native wildlife.

Now that the heat was off, Australia could concentrate on modernizing their air force. To this end, the Government Aircraft Corp. was formed.

Australia is a nation known for its bravery but they're also quite cunning. When staffing the G.A.C., they were able to poach some of the best international aeronautical engineering talent available. Fiorello "Fee" Ott was hired away from the Fiat concern of Italy. Beauregard "Beau" Ing came over from Boeing in the U.S. along with Kurt Ish from Curtiss. Last but not least, Gil Oster was lured away from Gloster in the U.K.

In short order, the G.A.C. developed a new night fighter-attack biplane uniquely suited to Australian conditions. Including bits of inspiration from Fiat, Boeing, Curtiss, and Gloster, the aircraft was powered by a large radial engine and featured an enclosed cockpit with a perspex canopy for good all-around vision. It was heavily armed with four guns, two on the decking behind the engine synchronized to fire through the propeller and two more in under-wing pods. Large lights were located beneath the upper wingtips enabling the pilot to acquire targets in the dark. The attack night-fighter also featured the sleekest, most streamlined spatted undercarriage yet seen in the antipodes.

It was not due to this incredibly intimidating landing gear but because of its four guns that it was dubbed the Exterminator.

Of course, the Emus were unaware of all this, simply biding their time while concocting various sinister plots.

If only the Australians could find a way to bait these big birds

into conflict again, their new night attack-fighter might bring them victory and erase the stain of their past defeat at the beaks of this fearsome, feathered foe.

Using the seasonal migration as a pretext, Australia declared war on the big birds when they mistakenly crossed the border at 10:51 PM. The Emus were attacked nine-and-a-half minutes later at 2300 hours or 23 o'clock.

Aussie recon bush scouts stealthily sneaked up on the main body of Emu invaders and radioed their position to the already airborne G.A.C. Exterminator prototype which was designated by a rather large white 'P' in the interest of enhanced camouflage, no doubt.

The Exterminator went into a fast, steep dive

but just before it could bring its four guns to bear, the engine seized up and the pilot was forced to make an unfortunate emergency, dead-stick landing.

Fortunately for the reputation of the RAAF, that landing was directly on top of the leader of the Emu invasion. Upon seeing a very large SPLAT! and realizing their Emu army had been decapitated, the entire flock surrendered en masse.

The RSPCA once again flexed its Commonwealth muscle and stepped in to ensure the Emus were granted status as stateless, flightless war refugees and assisted them in emigrating to the United States. The Emus eventually landed in New York City where they went on to become successful musicians.

No more G.A.C. Exterminators would be made and the sole example was scrapped shortly after being towed around Australia on a victory tour. Nothing exists of it today except this cottage-industry short-run model kit of which only one was ever built.

Still for one brief moment, the G.A.C. Exterminator overcame the Emu threat even if the so-called "experts" refuse to believe it all and squawk that this one is for the birds.

Kit used was the 1/72 Revell Fiat CR 42 with an early Airfix Gladiator engine/cowl and Hawker Fury I prop. Aeroclub Gauntlet spats were added and the canopy is a drop-tank half. Gun pods and lights were made from bomb halves. The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics and rigged with plastic wire. Decals were from spares.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:13:16 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: The RAAF Exterminator and the Second Emu War
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 07:06:40 AM »
Beautiful model.  The backstory seems to be giving historians "the bird", good show.

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
Yeah, sorry.... I’m feeling no sympathy for those damned Emus! It’s too bad that squadrons of these amazing aircraft couldn’t have been deployed to properly quell the emu menace.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »
Few prototypes with their quirks end up on a real mission.  Looks like all round excellent design for its time and mission.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:32:24 PM »
Great looking model and top backstory

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
@Brian - Is that the same plastic wire stuff that I sent to you or something different?

Kentucky Fried Emu might have been a good thing.  Those legs and thighs are several meals in one...

Also, great little back story and model as usual!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
Yup that's some of the wonderful plastic wire you sent, Mr Fontaine. I love working with that stuff and always look for an excuse to use it.

Glad you guys liked this one. I think we're lucky the Emus turned to music. I'd hate to think of the trouble they'd cause rampaging thru NYC.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 03:23:56 AM »
You're not right. ;) ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 03:24:28 AM »
Kentucky Fried Emu might have been a good thing.  Those legs and thighs are several meals in one...

Mmmm...I love Emu.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 04:39:48 AM »
Love it! And, once again, I failed to recognize your 'donor' kit  :-[

BTW ...

EMU BURGERS
Serves 6.

1½ lb. ground emu
    ½ c. non-fat dried milk
    2 Tbsp. water
    1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tsp. onion powder
    ½ tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. liquid smoke, optional

Combine all ingredients with the ground emu and mix well.
Shape into patties and grill.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Jacques Deguerre

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 09:52:37 AM »
Personally, I’ve never forgiven emus for subjecting the world to My Chemical Romance!  ;D

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »
Personally, I’ve never forgiven emus for subjecting the world to My Chemical Romance!  ;D

Now I'm confused! ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jacques Deguerre

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 12:27:09 PM »

Now I'm confused! ???

Emos= Kids from the late 1990s-2010 or so who dyed their hair black, wore lots of pale makeup and dark clothes and did the whole “life is pain” act. Listened to a lot of whiny, depressing, faux edgy music like My Chemical Romance.

Emus= Large, flightless birds that live in Australia and were know to destroy crops. Also said to be quite tasty!

Me= Making a bad joke about confusing one for the other.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 12:49:29 PM »
Ah, a pun! Yup, unfortunately verbal/sound-based puns don't always translate to the written word well. :-\

Now that I know what you were saying, it makes sense & is funny - sadly, too late. :(

PS: Different accents don't help, either. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »
Hilariously awesome!