Author Topic: LF: 48th scale F8F Bearcat Drop Tanks  (Read 3582 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
LF: 48th scale F8F Bearcat Drop Tanks
« on: November 03, 2012, 04:13:50 AM »
I'm looking for a Bearcat center line fuel tank in 1/48 scale, like this one in the pic.  I have a photo of a Spiteful which has something very similar and I want to put one on one of the Spiteful kits I have.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: LF: 48th scale F8F Bearcat Drop Tanks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:19 AM »
I'm looking for a Bearcat center line fuel tank in 1/48 scale, like this one in the pic.  I have a photo of a Spiteful which has something very similar and I want to put one on one of the Spiteful kits I have.
Let me take a look this weekend.  There might be something like that in an assortment of miscellaneous stores I picked up a few years ago.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »

There is a similar shaped fuel tank provided in the 1:48th scale AMT-Ertl/Italeri F7F Tigercat kit that might also satisfy your requirements.  The older Monogram Hellcat and Corsair kits have tanks with that shape as well but slightly smaller overall.  The Tigercat tank is slightly larger than the Hawk/Testor's Bearcat tank. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »

There is a similar shaped fuel tank provided in the 1:48th scale AMT-Ertl/Italeri F7F Tigercat kit that might also satisfy your requirements.  The older Monogram Hellcat and Corsair kits have tanks with that shape as well but slightly smaller overall.  The Tigercat tank is slightly larger than the Hawk/Testor's Bearcat tank.

I think either the Bearcat or Tigercat tank would work Jeff  :)  but it is this elongated one I'm after.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 02:47:12 AM »

I think either the Bearcat or Tigercat tank would work Jeff  :)  but it is this elongated one I'm after.

Check the images of the kit sprues in these kit reviews from CyberModeler:

Italeri (AMT/Ertl) F7F Tigercat in-box review
Monogram F9F-5P Reconnaissance Panther

Either tank might work. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 05:01:41 AM »

Check the images of the kit sprues in these kit reviews from CyberModeler:

Italeri (AMT/Ertl) F7F Tigercat in-box review
Monogram F9F-5P Reconnaissance Panther

Either tank might work.

Looking at the photo in the Alfred Price book on the Spitfire, those shapes are getting a bit on the fat side.  I couldn't find a pic on the internet, but this is what I'm after and the Bearcat one seems to be the closest.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 05:43:28 AM »
Looking at the photo in the Alfred Price book on the Spitfire, those shapes are getting a bit on the fat side.  I couldn't find a pic on the internet, but this is what I'm after and the Bearcat one seems to be the closest.

Now that I see the image, there is no question that the Tigercat and Panther tanks are out of the question.  Not even sure the Bearcat tank would work for that purpose either.  Reminds me of the tip tanks seen on the Sea Vixen or Vampire in shape and that little protrusion at the rear of the tank I suspect is an attachment point. 

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:18:36 AM »

Now that I see the image, there is no question that the Tigercat and Panther tanks are out of the question.  Not even sure the Bearcat tank would work for that purpose either.  Reminds me of the tip tanks seen on the Sea Vixen or Vampire in shape and that little protrusion at the rear of the tank I suspect is an attachment point.

The text to it says it's an 180 Gal. tank, I would imagine that''s in Imperial so would be 216 US Gal.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:20:12 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 11:37:31 PM »

Would a drop tank from a 1/48 Corsair work?  I ended up with several in the spares box.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 01:18:22 AM »
Would a drop tank from a 1/48 Corsair work?  I ended up with several in the spares box.

If it's like these in the photo Evan, I think it would be passable as a Spiteful tank.  At least I could make it passable --

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:00:09 AM »

If it's like these in the photo Evan, I think it would be passable as a Spiteful tank.  At least I could make it passable --
Let me look when I get home; it's a little hard to sort through parts there when I'm at work. ;)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 05:06:03 AM »

I managed to check last night and it is indeed like that in the picture.  I'll have to dig a bit more, but I think I may have two.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 05:52:22 AM »

I managed to check last night and it is indeed like that in the picture.  I'll have to dig a bit more, but I think I may have two.

Alright! thanks Evan.