Author Topic: Improved Moudge Class Frigate  (Read 3466 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Improved Moudge Class Frigate
« on: September 03, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »

Project started out as an anti-frustration measure when I hit the wall with progress on the Patriot Missile Ship.  I took an existing early-type Moudge class frigate drawing as a starting point, added a couple of hull details, and replaced the entire superstructure based on the new Iranian frigate Sahand but with lengthened hull and flight deck to support the bigger Sea King helicopter.

That being said, this venture turned into its own pain in the neck at times, and considerable artistic licence has to be taken due to the rarity of detailed pictures of the Sahand that I can find online.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:40:00 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Improved Moudge Class Frigate
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: Improved Moudge Class Frigate
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »
"Sir, the behaviours displayed by personnels of the Chevalier detachment are...... raising considerable concerns throughout our fleet units and beyond."

"Woke Squad's being unprofessional-"

"If you have nicknames for agents of the UN, Captain, I don't wanna know 'em!"

====================================================

Task Force Justice is the naval component to a controversial initiative administratively under Chevalier, the United Nations military organization officially in charge of peacekeeping operations on Earth, but promoted and supervised by various non-military UN entities to create a template for a "progressive approach to peacekeeping".  Its stated role is to provide naval support to the 1st Peacekeeper Division (the land component of the initiative that Task Force Justice belongs to) as well as to safeguard maritime humanitarian venues against pirates and other organized modern naval oppositions.

Problems almost immediately surfaced after the announcement of the initiative.  Chevalier, naturally, does not like the idea of a subordinate formation funded largely by them but taking orders from anyone other than them.  Also, influenced by the social and political activisms of their benefactors within the United Nations and drawn from activist children of social elites across the Homeworld, Task Force Justice soon becomes mired in less-than-professional conducts, procurements that complicate Chevalier's logistical requirements, and needlessly-antagonistic political antics.  They also have a reputation of being high-maintenance compared to Frontier Navy and regular Chevalier personnels of equivalent ranks.

The first Frontier Navy encounter with Task Force Justice was in mid-December 2018, when the unit provided sealift to the 1st Peacekeeper Division and the 2nd Assault Helicopter Regiment to conduct military exercise with the Frontier Army.  After the 1st Peacekeeper Division landed, Task Force Justice would subsequently engage in an exercise of their own with a Frontier Navy training flotilla consisting of both Earth-borne and Foreign Auxiliaries warships and led by the famed "Strike Cruiser MK.I" FNS Long Beach, flagship of the Earth-borne Seventh Fleet...... but that's a story for another time.

Task Force Justice quickly became known to Frontier Navy rank-and-files by the derogatory nickname "Woke Squad" as their aggressive, upper-class exceptionalist attitudes and out-of-touch worldview towards Frontier Navy, both Earth-borne and Foreign Auxiliaries alike, and even visiting Coalition navies personnels end up accomplishing nothing but creating problems for all involved.

In the name of "promoting progressive values", Task Force Justice under the influences of its external backers has geared its procurement towards industries in the Middle East region, with Iran being selected to provide the primary surface combatants for the task force's naval component.

These primary surface combatants take the form of a further-developed Moudge class light frigate design.  Compared to the first two Moudge class frigates serving the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy, the ships has adopted low-observable features, a lengthened flight deck rated to support Sultan, an Iranian copy of the SH-3D Sea King helicopter (modified in UN service with a dipping sonar of, somehow unbeknownst to the procurement staff, ultimately Chinese origin), and what appears to a short-to-medium range multi-function radar of an unknown type to supplement its existing Iran copy of Plessey AWS-1 long range aerial search radar (minus the IFF antenna).  The low-observable features and altered radar suite would find their way onto the fifth IRIN ship, the Sahand.

The accommodations are also improved to a yacht-inspired standard, with its mess deck and quarters luxurious both in form and function, as well as an auditorium-style briefing room, contrasting with the "simple yet modern and cultured" approach of the Frontier Navy and the "minimum-necessary distraction from duties" policy of regular Chevalier warships.

A further request for improved air defense capability led to second-hand Type 730 close-in weapon systems being acquired from the People's Republic of China to be mounted aft.  The rest of its armament suite remains largely the same with the frigates in IRIN service- a Fajr-27 76mm cannon, two single launchers for Mehreb missiles (which, interestingly, Task Force Justice has presented as a supersonic anti-ship missile instead of anti-aircraft missile as was done in Iran), two twin launchers for Noor anti-ship missiles, and two triple 324mm torpedo tubes.

Despite the various modifications requested by Task Force Justice, however, there are fundamental flaws to the design regarding its intended roles within the initiative- as the workhorse of Task Force Justice, and unlike the workhorses of both the Frontier Navy (the Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, the Mistral class frigates, and the Arleigh Burke class destroyers) and regular Chevalier naval component (Sword class frigates- enlarged, more heavily-armed development of the Independence class Littoral Combat Ship- and Zumwalt class destroyers), it lacks the endurance required for global peace enforcement duties, any form of area air defense capability, and maintenance facility to service the helicopter it is meant to work with.

When it became clear that Iran, even with the financial backing of the UN, is already taxed to its limit building frigates and armoured vehicles for the UN, the minds behind Task Force Justice begrudgingly turned to the People's Republic of China again for a solution to the above-mentioned problems, eventually culminating in the form of the Harbinger of Justice class Joint Support Ships.

====================================================

With B-position armament reverted to Mk 32 GMLS clone for the Mehreb missile.  I am skeptical about their utility as an anti-aircraft weapon, but since it is modelled after a missile with an inherent anti-ship mode......
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:10:19 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?