Author Topic: Twin-Mustang line drawings ?  (Read 5689 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Twin-Mustang line drawings ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
guys, I'm looking for accurate line drawings for the F-82s showing basic panel lines, shapes etc for the F-82B, F-82C/D, F-82E & F82G.  Sadly Squadron publications don't fall into the catagory of "accurate" :(

Anyone have proper technical profiles ?

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
Re: Twin-Mustang line drawings ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
There's quite a bunch of F-82 drawings at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146099
... but I have no clue where they came from or if they are any good.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »
I've got the D&S book that covers the later Mustangs and the F-82 if that is of any use to you.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:26:35 AM »
thanks guys,  I now have enough drawings & photos for my needs.

It seems that there are NO completely accurate drawings of the different versions out there.  Even the Detail & Scale ones have "B" panel-lines on the nose of the "G" version & their aft-end of the belly-scoop is also quite wrong but overall they seem to be the best.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 05:21:19 AM »
I'm not sure just how accurate the Monogram kit is of the F-82, but I do know that it matches the 1/72 3-View drawings in the book 'Aircraft of the Fighting Powers-Vol.VII'

Looking at these though, they have the captions the wrong way around

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa78/JJELLIS_PHOTO/F82%20Twin%20Mustang/F823v4.jpg
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:24:02 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »
I no longer trust any line-drawings alone ... you have to compare them to 100+ photos of the real aircraft & fix them accordingly before trying to render an accurate model.

Even kits laser-scanned from the real 1:1 scale vehicle have a few inaccuracies to fix :(

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:41:25 AM »
Alternatively, I am happy if something looks close enough.  This is not to say that I don't appreciate and never fail to get extremely impressed by those who can do such exact reproductions or the like, its just that it doesn't worry me.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
I am happy if something looks close enough.

Me too but all the F-82 drawings I've seen are each sooooo wrong in a few obvious areas that I can't accept them as valid.  The drawers obviously thought that P-51 items & positions are ok to use but they're not ie. the cockpit of the F-82 is much further forward over the wing than the P-51s.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
ie. the cockpit of the F-82 is much further forward over the wing than the P-51s.

Actually the cockpit is in the same position as a P-51's cockpit, only it's raised as in the F-51H.  I've found that from behind the spinner, the cockpit is the same distance on all P-51's and F-82's, as is the air intake opening for the radiator duct.  Most of the F-82 fuselage is the same as the F-51H fuselage except where the rear fuselage was extended 67", and this extension is a continuation of the F-51H profile lines.

What I have found is this, when NA extended the F-51H fuselage 13", they not only extended the radiator duct, they moved the wing back that 13" too. Then when NA built the F-82, they moved the wing back another 12-13" (measurements from the rear of the spinner to the wing root leading edge) and on top of that the wing had a massive chord increase.  BTW, the wing of the F-51H has a broader chord than the P-51H, it seems that the whole forward part from the main spar to the leading edge has a different chord.

So this is why the cockpit on a F-51H and the F-82 look like they are further forward, when in reality, just the wings have been moved backwards.

What I'm trying to find out now it whether the XP-51J had it's wing moved backwards, because this aircraft had the 13" rear fuselage extension too --
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:47:31 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 05:34:43 AM »

What I'm trying to find out now it whether the XP-51J had it's wing moved backwards, because this aircraft had the 13" rear fuselage extension too --

Well looking at various photos of the XP-51J, it doesn't look like the wing was moved back as on the F-51H