Author Topic: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related  (Read 153961 times)

Offline Small brown dog

• Dwelling too long on the practicalities of such things can drive you mad.
  • Yappity woof grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Re: Small Brown Dog Artwork and related
« Reply #500 on: November 27, 2023, 05:02:36 PM »

Anyway, if needs must, 'Happy Christmas' to you too. (Although that immediately has me wondering about the potential of reindeer-replacement electrical levitation drives ...)  ;)

Funny you show mention that as there has been a couple of dead end ideas and one that got a little further but died involving an early Whittle engine.
Its not that its not real but it could be that its not true.

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #501 on: March 24, 2024, 10:56:20 PM »
Nice work!
Just a tip, I would remove the aircraft shadow. It is not fitting in the scene. ;)
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #502 on: June 05, 2024, 02:33:25 AM »
I really love the work you have shared with us and the kind of universe you have built up!

I have been thinking of an aircraft model that could be built without too much modification to fit and I came across an old photo of a P-61 being restored in the US that would fit your world perfectly:

seems like it might be the fastest way to get a near ready made model into "service"

My other idea was a B-24 but with just 2 engines--  P-47 "Pods" or "booms"  positioned in the #2 and #3 (the inboard) engine spots and the wings removed outside of what connects the P-47s to the B-24:

dummied this up after i realized it was probably easier to show, rather than describe.  :smiley:

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #503 on: June 18, 2024, 02:01:52 AM »
Nice work!
Just a tip, I would remove the aircraft shadow. It is not fitting in the scene. ;)
I see it more of a subjective observation than a tip but thanks for the feedback

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #504 on: June 18, 2024, 02:04:02 AM »
I really love the work you have shared with us and the kind of universe you have built up!

I have been thinking of an aircraft model that could be built without too much modification to fit and I came across an old photo of a P-61 being restored in the US that would fit your world perfectly:

seems like it might be the fastest way to get a near ready made model into "service"

My other idea was a B-24 but with just 2 engines--  P-47 "Pods" or "booms"  positioned in the #2 and #3 (the inboard) engine spots and the wings removed outside of what connects the P-47s to the B-24:

dummied this up after i realized it was probably easier to show, rather than describe.  :smiley:

Y'know, a boomed twin P47 might be cool ... I like it  ;)

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #505 on: June 18, 2024, 02:21:33 AM »

Eagles of Skaro

My output is no way as fast as it used to be due to a developing new mind-set and semi hiatus where I’m doing a lot of other stuff.

If I don't engage in some other activities I start dwelling on things like the 1000 year war between the Kaled and Thals as one tends to do during idle moments. I assumed a period similar to our own early to mid 1940’s and to go with my earlier tracked Dalek I figured on there being some sort of air power and a radial engined Dalek flyer just seemed to do the trick.

Of course this begs many questions. Not least is how do you adjust all those poppet valves with only a rubber suction cup or steel grabby thing ?   Perhaps the  full on mutant Dalek race is a way off  and standard limbed personnel build and maintain the flyers.

A humanoid pilot would have to be some poor short bugger that has to be squeezed into the machine – not much fun and a proper window might have been better.

It could be that there are genetically modified hybrids that were especially “grown” for the flyer but having the tech and understanding for manipulating the Kaled Genome doesn’t somehow sit right in an era  of radial combustion engines, projectile weapons and tank tracks ... you see what happens when you dwell on this crap!

Anyway, if the Kelad have flying machines then the Thals have to have them too if only to pay a little tribute to Roy Cross who died 24 April 2024, one day after his 100th birthday. Roy Cross and his fabulous Airfix kit box artwork made him a hero of mine going way back to my childhood and has influenced much of my 3D art. I had this tail sitting idea and nothing to do with it so in the style of Mr Cross I have sort have made a dogfight double box cover.

I actually abandoned the tail sitting idea as the landing would probably result in a big ball of fire. Even though the concept is similar to 50's designs  such as the Lockheed XFV,  my placing of the contra rotating props so low would make handling impossible  when transitioning to the vertical I would imagine but then there I go again over thinking it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #506 on: June 18, 2024, 02:29:21 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #507 on: June 18, 2024, 02:44:14 AM »
Way cool   8)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #508 on: June 18, 2024, 06:56:13 AM »
Oh my  :-*

Fantastic stuff

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #509 on: June 18, 2024, 07:03:03 AM »
Outstanding work!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #510 on: June 18, 2024, 07:51:03 AM »

:smiley: This needs to be 3D printed !!  Pleeze !

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #511 on: June 18, 2024, 12:21:25 PM »
Shades of a Cylon fighter! Very cool!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #512 on: June 18, 2024, 01:01:42 PM »
So, not just me then.  That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thing too.  All that was missing was the glowing red light in the screen at the front.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Small brown dog

« Reply #513 on: June 18, 2024, 03:59:27 PM »

So, not just me then.  That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thing too.  All that was missing was the glowing red light in the screen at the front.  :smiley:

Yeah, now you guys mention it I see Cylons!!
Until now my main influence was from an art deco compressor minus the motor :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #514 on: June 18, 2024, 05:58:16 PM »
Dunno about Cylons, my mind screamed "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" the moment I glimpsed the first image. ;D ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #515 on: June 19, 2024, 12:02:39 AM »
Daleks and Cylons flying air compressors around? We are a weird bunch! Thank Heavens!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #516 on: June 19, 2024, 06:44:34 AM »
that compressor really does have both function and design.

I can well see how that could be an inspiration. Great eye you have for shape.

Oh... and the Cylon vibe is there.. if mostly for the lastest iteration of BSG Cylon ships.
This could be a very neat counter point to the Prop versions of the BSG Vipers

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #517 on: June 20, 2024, 01:53:29 AM »
We missed out on Daleks on this side of the pond ... but these are truly awesome!  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz