Author Topic: 1991 Nimrod Update Proposal  (Read 2806 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
1991 Nimrod Update Proposal
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:25:50 AM »
Not entirely sure that this one qualifies for the GB ... it is a bit like the whiffery equivalent of 'conceptual art'. Basically, it's illustrating what a RW proposal would look like if done it polystyrene.

That RW proposal was a late 1991 British Aerospace Nimrod MR.2 Mid-Life Update option with pylon-mounted engines. These engines were to be Rolls-Royce Tays ... but weird ones with large front low-pressure fans. Then there were odd-looking, extra-long nozzle sections out the back. Like I said, weird!

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1714.msg95779#msg95779
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/bae-nimrod-update-drawings-tay-engined.25441

Scale-o-rama: If rendered in polystyrene, this 'build' would consist of a base 1/72 BAe Nimrod (Airfix A12050) with modified engines and pylons taken from a 1/144 Bae 146/RJ85 (Revell 04208). [2] The outer wings remain the same (other than losing their long-range external tanks). [1] I'm guessing it would be easier to bodge together new inner wing panels than it would be to remove and PSR the Nimrod's in-wing engine housings.

For anyone interested, here's how some of the airframes and components scale out.

BAe Nimrod MR.2 - RW length 38.63 m; in 1/72 = 536.5 mm (21.12 inches)

Avro RJ85-200 --- RW length 28.55 m; in 1/144 = 198.3 mm (7.80 inches)

RB.183 Tay - RW diameter 1.118 m (44.00 in) fan; in 1/72 = 15.5 mm (0.61 inches)

LF 507-1F -- RW diameter: Fan 1.020 m (40.25 in) ~ 1/144 = 7.10 m (0.279 inches)

______

[1] Not shown in the artwork are the up to 8 underwing pylons (6 for Harpoons) offered for the 1991 MR.2 Mid-Life Update option submission.

[2] The Bae 146 kit could be salvages as one of that type's unrealized twin-jet or turboprop derivatives?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Re: 1991 Nimrod Update Proposal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 05:35:12 AM »

Official Moderator Ruling:  APPROVED FOR SCALE-O-RAMA PURPOSES

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 06:02:19 AM »

Excellent! So, 'virtual scale modelling' ... just like the real thing except without the clean-up, PSR, and X-Acto blade wounds  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:39:21 AM »

Excellent! So, 'virtual scale modelling' ... just like the real thing except without the clean-up, PSR, and X-Acto blade wounds  :smiley:

??? ??? ???

Where's the fun in that? ::) ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »
Where's the fun in that? ::) ::)

;D ;D

I prefer to leave the masochism to others  ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:16:35 AM »
If your project is a 4-engine concept, I think you need to choose a different engine Stephen. The BAe 146 engines had barely 7000 lbt, while the Nimrod MR.2 had four 12,000+ lbt engines. But if your project is the 6-engine concept, those engines used would be about right, only in 1/72 scale not 1/144 scale.

In Nimrod's Genesis, as Carl has pointed out in another thread, the 4-engine concept would have had four CFM56 engines. And information I've gathered, has the smaller engine as RB410's. Air Model does an aftermarket resin set of the RB410 too and Contrail Models does a set of four CFM56's.  The RB410 though, only as a slightly more power at 7400 lbt. I'm also wondering if the 4-engine concept actually might have CF34-8's or -10's.

BTW, me and Carl have been going through this for the last week or more ---  ;) as we both want to built a kit of the CFM56 version.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 12:27:36 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 01:49:31 AM »
Oops, just read up on the Tay, it's in the same class as the CF34-8's
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:36:23 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 02:24:26 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
Robert: Moving on to CFM56s makes perfect sense. For the RW project, though, I do wonder about all the work needed to rebuild the wings. Maybe it would have made more sense to get BAE Filton to adapt the A310 wing to the Nimrod fuselage instead? Extra work hanging four CFMs off the Airbus wing of course ... but you'd have to do that for the Nimrod wing too  ;)

...The BAe 146 engines had barely 7000 lbt, while the Nimrod MR.2 had four 12,000+ lbt engines. But if your project is the 6-engine concept, those engines used would be about right, only in 1/72 scale not 1/144 scale...

Most of this is news to me. I'm likin' the sound of a six-engined variant  ;D

... And information I've gathered, has the smaller engine as RB410's. Air Model does an aftermarket resin set of the RB410 too and Contrail Models does a set of four CFM56's.  The RB410 though, only as a slightly more power at 7400 lbt...

Wow! Now there's an obscure engine type! I've got the RB.410 as the Rolls-Royce/Snecma M45S. I'm amazed to hear that someone has actually done a resin Snecma M45!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 11:35:22 PM »
Stephen, studying cutaway drawings of the wing it wouldn't need all the wing redesigned. Just outboard the main wheel bays, is the outer wing assembly joint, so all that would need redesigning would be the inner wing section.
I'm building a BAe 844 at the moment (FASS AEW), which was to be based on the A310-200, it's almost twice the size of a Nimrod ----- And I just happen to have one of my Nimrod kits out because of the plans me and Carl have been discussing so I've been doing a lot of comparing between the two just lately (this Nimrod will be used to make the AEW version using the Cammett conversion set I have).

Air Model does a vacuform Fokker VWF and the resin set is the detail set your can buy separately. Reading about the RB410, there is a military version, that did have nearly 14,000 lbt, called the M45G. But all I can gather with the RB410, it was a 7,400 lbt engine. The other thing, I find it being a really odd choice for an engine, it was designed for very short haul operations, the airliner hopping from one airport to another which were all very close together with very short times in cruise. I don't understand why it was picked for an aircraft that was to spend 8 to 12 hours at a time on an operation.

Just my musings ----
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 11:38:06 PM by kitnut617 »